Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling property whilst abroad

Hi All

We are currently living abroad (for a few years) and have decided we`d like to sell our let property back home to free up some savings.
    Can anyone give us some idea of the implications of doing this whilst abroad. I`m assuming everything can be done apart from the signing of contracts that would need to be posted out to us? or am I forgetting something.

Thanks in advance

P

You can appoint your lawyer to be your attorney. You can either give him a general power or restrict it to signing all the documents needed to sell a specific property.

Comment

I have bought 2 flats whilst living abroad with no problems. I have yet to meet my solictor! Everything is done via e-mail and telephone and the only thing that you have to personally sign is the stamp duty form from Land Registry which was posted to us. This however would not apply to you. Your solicitor can sign the rest on your behalf.

Comment

Originally posted by bbva View Post
        I have yet to meet my solicitor!
        I think that could be a breach of the Law Society's guidance on money laundering.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
          I think that could be a breach of the Law Society's guidance on money laundering.
          He would have insisted on meeting me if that was the case.

Comment

He would have insisted on meeting me if that was the case.
            I shall leave you to read the regulations here

Comment

I have read through the regulations and there is a section on enhanced due diligence with non face-to-face clients 4.9.1. No where does it state that you have to meet all your clients.

Comment

I have read through the regulations and there is a section on enhanced due diligence with non face-to-face clients 4.9.1. No where does it state that you have to meet all your clients.
                That's all right then.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Land registry trubunal
                  Rosierees
                  In our tribunal case the respondents solicitor has shown our witness statements to their witness s who in turn have put the info on Facebook and our witnesses have recieved threats !! Is this legal and what can we do now...
                  19-07-2017, 12:08 PM
                • Reply to Land registry trubunal
                  AndrewDod
                  What kind of threats?

In general (in theory) the law is supposed to be an open thing. After all anyone in the public (and on facebook) should be able to attend a court hearing, listen to what a witness has to say, and report on the matter. That is what keeps the system (sort of) honest....
                  21-07-2017, 14:33 PM
                • Should I register a charge or a restriction on a property
                  Joiner358
                  We lent £15,000 to a family member who signed a loan agreement for the amount to be repaid on or before 30th September 2017. His circumstances have changed and it is unlikely that he will be able to repay this money by the due date. We would like to take steps to secure this money should his house...
                  19-07-2017, 19:11 PM
                • Reply to Should I register a charge or a restriction on a property
                  Logical.Lean
                  I don't think you can....
                  20-07-2017, 21:03 PM
                  Rosierees
                  Thank you it seems really unethical...
                  19-07-2017, 19:21 PM
                  Gordon999
                  Make a complaint about the threats to the Police Station and to the Solicitors Regulation Authority. and to the Tribunal .
                  19-07-2017, 16:02 PM
                • Upper flat with historic attic conversion - no search results = ok to let out ???
                  bowsden
                  Hello. First time landlord here. Am very near completion on an upper Tyneside flat that has 1 bedroom in the attic (total of 2). The conversion looks very very old to me and there is little or no insulation. In order to let this out, is there any ything I need to do? I.e. the present regs do not apply...
                  13-07-2017, 09:43 AM
                • Reply to Upper flat with historic attic conversion - no search results = ok to let out ???
                  bowsden
                  Yes, awful if a fire occurred, but that could be in any old property. I'll make sure there is a fire door, and plenty of smoke alarms.- I'd do that regardless of regs.
                  There is no risk of fire coming up the side of an end gable wall so the escape route is safe, except that it is 25 feet off the...
                  16-07-2017, 18:43 PM
                • Reply to Upper flat with historic attic conversion - no search results = ok to let out ???
                  tatemono
                  We had a discussion about a similar property in the north east recently. We decided against buying it to let because of the risk of someone being trapped in the loft room during a fire. Someone actually posted that they'd been in the situation as tenants but thankfully no one was in the loft room when...
                  16-07-2017, 09:02 AM
                • D I Y Lease Variation.
                  Trevor62
                  Due to the purchase of a freehold (shared 50/50), We need to vary the leases to accommodate the changes for our own purpose. We have be told that there is a fee of 750 pounds per lease, this does not include legal fees.

How possible is it to do this process ourselves so to avoid legal...
                  07-07-2017, 09:45 AM
                Working...
                X