X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two Tenants in Common, moving to One Owner, SDLT question

Hi,

Situation: Person A and B are Tenants in Common of property Y

B selling his share to A, so that A becomes the sole owner of Y.

I've got the Land Registry forms figured out, now I'm looking at the SDLT.

NB: Consideration amount is under the threshold so no Stamp Duty due, but we have to fill in SDLT anyway, to get the certificate.

For Vendors (questions 34 onwards): Do I put Person A and Person B, or just Person B?
    That is: Does Vendors mean all current owners, or does it just mean the person selling their share?

Purchaser is obviously just Person A.

Thanks in advance for any hints offered.

As this is a transaction I think you put person B in as Vendor and person A as Purchaser - but you have to describe what is being transferred as a share in the property.
    If there is a mortgage then the Vendor's proportion of the mortgage debt has to be added in and it is then both "cash" and "debt" as the type of consideration.
    RICHARD WEBSTER

As a conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful (provided it relates to property in England & Wales) but I accept no liability except to fee-paying clients.

Comment

Thanks Richard.

Where on the form should it be noted that what is being transferred is a share of the property? There doesn't seem to be anywhere to say that. Unless I make it part of Q28 'address of land'?

Also, on Q59 'Purchaser and vendor connected': if Person A and B are ex-boyfriend/ex-girlfriend (but were never married) are they still 'connected' as far as SDLT is concerned? I'm guessing 'yes'.

Comment

Question 3 - "Interest transferred or created" - use OT. In 5 where the question is about anything affecting value of interest transferred - you can put "half share transferred" or if there is a mortgage "half share transferred subject to mortgage".

Don't put it in Q28.

I am assuming no mortgage. Remember that SDLT is payable on the proportion of debt transferred so this can sometimes put people in to the tax bracket e.g. House worth £300K. £250K joint mortgage. One pays the other £25K for half share of equity. £1500 SDLT payable - £25K half share + half of mortgage debt (£125K) = £150K!

Q59 - arguable but to be on safe side I would say you were connected.
        RICHARD WEBSTER

As a conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful (provided it relates to property in England & Wales) but I accept no liability except to fee-paying clients.

Comment

Thanks, I see.
          Yep no mortgage in this case but that bit may be of use to other people.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Less than 50% of freehold
            by raskitt
            I have just started conveyancing for a share of freehold flat. The flat is the ground floor of a converted house.

I have just found out that the other 2 share of freehold flats are owned by the same person (who originally owned the whole building).

How much of a problem is...
            29-06-2022, 13:28 PM
          • Reply to Less than 50% of freehold
            by AndrewDod
            I think the issue here is not so much the lease (if it is bad, that is a problem) but what the options are when the lease/law are disobeyed (as is commonly the case). Certainly if one is charitable and generous (as you are) and assumes the lease/law will be obeyed rigorously, then the lease is key....
            01-07-2022, 17:52 PM
            by Gordon999
            Obviously, my feedback can be wrong. OP 's solicitor should check the terms in the lease are all acceptable before he commits to exchange of contract for purchase of "leasehold flat".

He should not try to buy a "freehold flat" which does not qualify for mortgage...
            01-07-2022, 17:12 PM
            by AndrewDod
            Neither of the above are necessarily true

Read this forum and the comments already made. Plenty of reason to worry....
            01-07-2022, 12:52 PM
            by Gordon999
            If you own a 1/3 rd share in the freehold title , you do not pay ground rent and you can give your flat a statutory lease extension at nil premium.

The service charge for maintenance of the building should contributed 1/3rd by your flat. If the other freeholder contributes 2/3rds for...
            01-07-2022, 12:33 PM
            by flyingfreehold
            another problem with share of freehold is that neighbours can end up in dispute and at each others throats. And having to sue neighbours is most undesirable. Those campaigning for leasehold reform havent gone into print as to how to enforce against leaseholders who refuse to pay. We have one leaseholder...
            30-06-2022, 22:34 PM
            by AndrewDod
            No. Your obligations and those of the FH are determined by the lease. When the FH does not obey the lease (or cheats) you have recourse via the courts. If you are part of the freeholder (but with no actual ability to uphold those obligations) you would be taking legal action against yourself. If as...
            30-06-2022, 15:11 PM
            by raskitt
            AndrewDod,

Thank you, my thoughts are going this way. Could you explain briefly why it would be worse? I assume because I'm on the hook for shared costs whereas if I had the same flat but without the freehold I would not
            30-06-2022, 14:40 PM
            by raskitt
            Yes that is correct...
            30-06-2022, 14:38 PM
            by AndrewDod
            If you own a minority share of the freehold, then true you have no say at all. The freeholder still has to obey the lease and the law though.

I would not buy it. Owning a minority share in a "share of freehold" situation is far worse than not owning any share at all (and having...
            30-06-2022, 11:54 AM
          Working...
          X