X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freeholder loft conversion consent problem

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone can help.

I own a top floor flat which is share of freehold. I would like to do a loft conversion but would need consent from the rest of the freeholders. The 4 freeholders form a ltd company of which we are all directors.

It is likely that one of the freeholders is likely to refuse permission. Does majority rule in this instance, if only the 1 freeholder refuses permission, is it possible to still go ahead if the rest agree?

The other likely scenario, is that even if this troublesome freeholder somehow agrees, they are likely to ask for a unreasonably large compensation. If the 3 of us agree on an amount lower than that, again can that be pushed through due to the majority?

Thanks for any advice

Hi, why don't you offer to take over the responsibilities of repairing the whole of the roof ,when you purchase the "air". That might just pusuade them into being reasonable. I know I would agree! A roof that needs replacing is very costly.... Just my thoughts.
    If one disagrees i don't think you can go ahead.
    I think you need to get a local surveyor,(and you need to pay for it yourself) he can then advice you on all aspects of the project,including the premium you should be paying to the freehold company to compensate.

Comment

Yes this is a majority decision and there is no in dependant means to settle the figure.

As Hollyhead has said your advisors will give you a value, and they will do the same, although it is normal that you meet those expenses too.

In addition to the suggestion of taking over the whole roof, as you home will be larger your service charge % will have to go up, and theirs down.

Don't forget that the lease of your flat will have to be varied to include the new area and responsibilities
      Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Originally posted by hollyhead View Post
        Hi, why don't you offer to take over the responsibilities of repairing the whole of the roof ,when you purchase the "air". That might just pusuade them into being reasonable. I know I would agree! A roof that needs replacing is very costly.... Just my thoughts.
        If one disagrees i don't think you can go ahead.
        I think you need to get a local surveyor,(and you need to pay for it yourself) he can then advice you on all aspects of the project,including the premium you should be paying to the freehold company to compensate.
        Thanks.
        This guy is not very reasonable so I don't think even offering to take over the roof will help me. That's why I wanted the majority decision way. If only you lived in that flat instead of that ****!

Originally posted by leaseholdanswers View Post
        Yes this is a majority decision and there is no in dependant means to settle the figure.

As Hollyhead has said your advisors will give you a value, and they will do the same, although it is normal that you meet those expenses too.

In addition to the suggestion of taking over the whole roof, as you home will be larger your service charge % will have to go up, and theirs down.

Don't forget that the lease of your flat will have to be varied to include the new area and responsibilities
        Thanks.
        This conflicts with what Hollyhead says. Are you saying that it should be majority decision on both my scenarios? i.e. the actual consent AND the compensation figure?

We don't actually have any service charges at the moment.

Comment

Who pays for building insurance if you don't have any service charges?

Comment

There are no service charges !

Lets assume you say that you will take on the roof repairs, but you
            fall on hard times, and cant pay, you are sued to fix the roof, you
            have to sell flat as you have no money, cant sell your flat as the
            water is pouring in, so who pays to fix the roof ?

The "objectional man" ? No wonder he may refuse if roof is the
            responsibility of one man of unknown income.

Just a thought, not needing an answer.

Comment

Originally posted by ram View Post
              There are no service charges !

Lets assume you say that you will take on the roof repairs, but you
              fall on hard times, and cant pay, you are sued to fix the roof, you
              have to sell flat as you have no money, cant sell your flat as the
              water is pouring in, so who pays to fix the roof ?

The "objectional man" ? No wonder he may refuse if roof is the
              responsibility of one man of unknown income.

Just a thought, not needing an answer.
              Fair point, though that was not the reasons for objection.

Comment

Originally posted by johndoe1 View Post
                Fair point, though that was not the reasons for
                objection.
                you don't say if you already own the loft ?

You would have to purchase it from Freehold company.
                The unreasonably large compensation could be that you have to purchase
                the loft, lets say 50% of what you paid for the flat ?

Also, check for weak beams, but those should be checked by the
                conversioners. ( is that a word ? )

And as said before, the freeholders are the 4 owners, and a
                majority decision would be needed to sell, meaning that - for
                arguments sake, if the freeholing company want £ 4000, you give
                them that, and £ 1000 given back to each owner, or left in the
                pot for unexpected repairs now, or in the future.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• CPO indemnity
                  by Muji84
                  Hi all,

Looking for some guidance on a mortgage that I am going through,

I own a property outright and my mortgage company noticed there is an CPO order showing on land registry from the 1980s and requires myself/solicitors to purchase a cpo indemnity policy to protect itself....
                  10-08-2022, 20:43 PM
                • Reply to CPO indemnity
                  by Lawcruncher
                  Now we know for certain that the CPO was registered in 1983 we can assert that "there was no CPO revealed in the searches" is a statement worthy of an Old Etonian because it is strictly true but misleading. When you purchased, the seller's conveyancer would have submitted various documents...
                  12-08-2022, 15:12 PM
                • Reply to CPO indemnity
                  by Muji84
                  The date on the land registry is the 23.02.1983.

I only found our about the charge when going through the mortgage.

I suspect (and I could be 100% wrong) that as I brought the house cash only, there were no mortgage conditions etc the convayoncer would have to meet in order...
                  12-08-2022, 09:44 AM
                • Reply to CPO indemnity
                  by Lawcruncher
                  That is not making sense. If the CPO dates back to the 1980s no way would it have been registered after October 2021. In the unlikely event it was you would have been given written notice. Have a look at the relevant entry on the register. At the start in brackets is a date. What is it?...
                  12-08-2022, 08:42 AM
                • Reply to CPO indemnity
                  by Muji84
                  Hi lawcruncher

I brought the property in October 2021, my conveyancer mentioned recently that at that time "there was no cpo revealed in the searches to make this necessary" I was asking if they purchased a cpo indemnity policy

The CPO is showing on land registry....
                  12-08-2022, 08:08 AM
                • Reply to problems with a freeholder
                  by D P Dance
                  No ground rent is owing, it is paid monthly with the service charges to the HA. The buyer is aware of the nature of the HA and the freeholder as thy already own a flat in the lock....
                  11-08-2022, 14:19 PM
                • problems with a freeholder
                  by D P Dance
                  I am selling ne of my properties.

The sale is being held up as the freeholder, (Homeground), is refusing to provie information to my solicitor which has been requested by my buyer's solicittor as the ground rent is outstanding.

I pay the ground rent monthly along with my...
                  10-08-2022, 09:58 AM
                • Reply to CPO indemnity
                  by Lawcruncher
                  The first and important point to make is that a CPO must be exercised within 3 years. There may be some doubt about precisely when the 3 years starts, but there can surely be no doubt that a CPO made in the 1980s is now a dead letter. Either it was never exercised or, if it was, it related to a part...
                  11-08-2022, 09:07 AM
                  by Section20z
                  It's not just ground rent, if freeholder refuses to answer LPE1 enquiries it should raise a big red flag for any buyer.
                  11-08-2022, 08:10 AM
                  by Gordon999
                  Do you know how much ground rent is owing ?

You could make an offer to buyer's solicitor for a retention £1000 to cover any ground rent owing before sale date . Retention held by Seller's solicitor for one year....
                  10-08-2022, 17:55 PM
                Working...
                X