Property Charges and Auction purchase..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Property Charges and Auction purchase..

Hi all, could do with some advice on this. Appologies if this is a 'numpty' question but I could do with getting it clear. Looking to purchse a property at auction which has a charge set against it by a local council for 11K. This was for making safe a dangerous gable end. The owner has been made bankrupt and the sale is being overseen by accountancy firm. On the legal pack it mentions that it is not known if any VAT element is due on the property (the owner is a bankrupt builder, this is one of his properties). Can any of these 'charges's be passed ontor to the new buyer? What if the house sale doesn't generate enougth income to clear the charges/possible VAT element.

Any idea of typical 'conveyencing' fees to deal with the sale (no mortgage required).

Thanks in advance...

The cost mentioned is probably a Local Land Charge. It binds the property even if this changes hands.
    So build into your costings the amount payable to the Council. Unless V accepts contractual obligation to pay it, you'll have to!
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Thanks Jeferey, what about the VAT side of things. Can they chase a unsettled bill througth new owners of the property. Seems a bit draconian. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by AVS View Post
        Thanks Jeferey
        Who's that, then?

what about the VAT side of things. Can they chase a unsettled bill througth new owners of the property. Seems a bit draconian. Thanks
        Yes (Local Land Charge); yes (VAT, if payable on the purchase price).
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. They may persue VAT on this property if due, at sale point. Can they chase other VAT owed for his business interests through this sale as well. ie I get landed with a , at yet, undisclosed sum at a futre date.

What about a 'conveyancer', can one be poached from here or is it a no/no

Thanks JEFFREY...

Comment

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. They may persue VAT on this property if due, at sale point. Can they chase other VAT owed for his business interests through this sale as well. ie I get landed with a , at yet, undisclosed sum at a futre date.

What about a 'conveyancer', can one be poached from here or is it a no/no
            What you pay on completion is conclusive. No extra is due, unless the contract says so.
            if you want me to assist professionally, please send e-mail.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Title Deeds and Mortgage
              MAPTON
              Hi

Not quite landlord related but hoping for some clarification one way or the other:-

Is it possible for me to remain on the mortgage but to sign over house to spouse, ie, take my name off of the title deeds. This is a divorce scenario and I am wishing to remain on mortgage...
              22-07-2017, 15:36 PM
            • Reply to Title Deeds and Mortgage
              MrShed
              Presuming that what you are wanting to achieve is allow your spouse to remain in the property despite her affordability not being good enough, I would suggest that you either:
              1) Keep the current situation exactly as it is.
              2) Make a formal contractual arrangement to pay your spouse X money...
              22-07-2017, 16:51 PM
            • Reply to Title Deeds and Mortgage
              MrShed
              I would have thought virtually impossible. Think about it from the mortgagee's position - they have just effectively lost their security in the mortgage!...
              22-07-2017, 16:49 PM
            • Land registry trubunal
              Rosierees
              In our tribunal case the respondents solicitor has shown our witness statements to their witness s who in turn have put the info on Facebook and our witnesses have recieved threats !! Is this legal and what can we do now...
              19-07-2017, 12:08 PM
            • Reply to Land registry trubunal
              AndrewDod
              What kind of threats?

In general (in theory) the law is supposed to be an open thing. After all anyone in the public (and on facebook) should be able to attend a court hearing, listen to what a witness has to say, and report on the matter. That is what keeps the system (sort of) honest....
              21-07-2017, 14:33 PM
            • Should I register a charge or a restriction on a property
              Joiner358
              We lent £15,000 to a family member who signed a loan agreement for the amount to be repaid on or before 30th September 2017. His circumstances have changed and it is unlikely that he will be able to repay this money by the due date. We would like to take steps to secure this money should his house...
              19-07-2017, 19:11 PM
            • Reply to Should I register a charge or a restriction on a property
              Logical.Lean
              I don't think you can....
              20-07-2017, 21:03 PM
              Rosierees
              Thank you it seems really unethical...
              19-07-2017, 19:21 PM
              Gordon999
              Make a complaint about the threats to the Police Station and to the Solicitors Regulation Authority. and to the Tribunal .
              19-07-2017, 16:02 PM
            • Upper flat with historic attic conversion - no search results = ok to let out ???
              bowsden
              Hello. First time landlord here. Am very near completion on an upper Tyneside flat that has 1 bedroom in the attic (total of 2). The conversion looks very very old to me and there is little or no insulation. In order to let this out, is there any ything I need to do? I.e. the present regs do not apply...
              13-07-2017, 09:43 AM
            Working...
            X