Buying freehold block to build on roof- T is dead.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying freehold block to build on roof- T is dead.

A colleague is looking to buy a property. The property he intends to buy is on the top floor of the building and he is buying the freehold.

The plan is to build a roof garden on the roof, assuming planning consent. However, the person who owns the leadhold to the roof died 2 years ago. And no one has claimed the rights to the leasehold, and the other freeholders are unaware there is one. What can he do?

Thanks,

Jack

Ask the solicitor who's being paid to advise him? This sounds a rather complex position and detailed documentation analysis is needed so as to assess exactly who owns what. How can someone own only the roof, anyway? The fact that someone has died is not itself a problem (except to the Deceased and mourning relatives) but your colleague should not rely on website responses (even from the august portal of LandlordZONE!)
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Land registry trubunal
      Rosierees
      In our tribunal case the respondents solicitor has shown our witness statements to their witness s who in turn have put the info on Facebook and our witnesses have recieved threats !! Is this legal and what can we do now...
      19-07-2017, 12:08 PM
    • Reply to Land registry trubunal
      AndrewDod
      What kind of threats?

In general (in theory) the law is supposed to be an open thing. After all anyone in the public (and on facebook) should be able to attend a court hearing, listen to what a witness has to say, and report on the matter. That is what keeps the system (sort of) honest....
      21-07-2017, 14:33 PM
    • Should I register a charge or a restriction on a property
      Joiner358
      We lent £15,000 to a family member who signed a loan agreement for the amount to be repaid on or before 30th September 2017. His circumstances have changed and it is unlikely that he will be able to repay this money by the due date. We would like to take steps to secure this money should his house...
      19-07-2017, 19:11 PM
    • Reply to Should I register a charge or a restriction on a property
      Logical.Lean
      I don't think you can....
      20-07-2017, 21:03 PM
      Rosierees
      Thank you it seems really unethical...
      19-07-2017, 19:21 PM
      Gordon999
      Make a complaint about the threats to the Police Station and to the Solicitors Regulation Authority. and to the Tribunal .
      19-07-2017, 16:02 PM
    • Upper flat with historic attic conversion - no search results = ok to let out ???
      bowsden
      Hello. First time landlord here. Am very near completion on an upper Tyneside flat that has 1 bedroom in the attic (total of 2). The conversion looks very very old to me and there is little or no insulation. In order to let this out, is there any ything I need to do? I.e. the present regs do not apply...
      13-07-2017, 09:43 AM
    • Reply to Upper flat with historic attic conversion - no search results = ok to let out ???
      bowsden
      Yes, awful if a fire occurred, but that could be in any old property. I'll make sure there is a fire door, and plenty of smoke alarms.- I'd do that regardless of regs.
      There is no risk of fire coming up the side of an end gable wall so the escape route is safe, except that it is 25 feet off the...
      16-07-2017, 18:43 PM
    • Reply to Upper flat with historic attic conversion - no search results = ok to let out ???
      tatemono
      We had a discussion about a similar property in the north east recently. We decided against buying it to let because of the risk of someone being trapped in the loft room during a fire. Someone actually posted that they'd been in the situation as tenants but thankfully no one was in the loft room when...
      16-07-2017, 09:02 AM
    • D I Y Lease Variation.
      Trevor62
      Due to the purchase of a freehold (shared 50/50), We need to vary the leases to accommodate the changes for our own purpose. We have be told that there is a fee of 750 pounds per lease, this does not include legal fees.

How possible is it to do this process ourselves so to avoid legal...
      07-07-2017, 09:45 AM
    Working...
    X