Lease extension- register Unilateral Notice at HMLR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lease extension- register Unilateral Notice at HMLR?

Hi I'm ready to offer my freeholder a price for extending my lease. I have been told to lodge a unilateral notice with the Land Registry before informal negotiations start or a section 42 notice is served. What does the unilateral notice do? I've had a look at the form online. In panel 8 it asks for 'addresses for service of each applicant' - is that my address or the freeholders address?
    Also on panel 11 would "application to extend lease" suffice?

Many thanks
    Franci

The Notice flags-up your claim to lease extension, warning anyone who might deal with L that you are exercising your statutory rights.
    You cannot register it unless you have first invoked those rights by serving L under s.42. The UN1 must cross-refer to the Notice.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Thanks Jeffrey.
      So is it a compulsory legal process to lodge a UN1 once the section 42 is served or can I continue without it? I am the registered leaseholder under the title in question with a number of years left to run.

Comment

Are you going to employ a surveyor/valuer and a solicitor for this lease extension process?

Comment

Originally posted by Fsplane View Post
          So is it a compulsory legal process to lodge a UN1 once the section 42 is served or can I continue without it? I am the registered leaseholder under the title in question with a number of years left to run.
          Not compulsory, no- UN1 merely protects your rights (and stops L trying to sell the f/r without disclosing them).
          JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
          4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Thanks again Jeffrey.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X