Freehold purchase of a block of 4 flats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freehold purchase of a block of 4 flats

I own the lease of of three flats in a block of four self contained flats.
    A "second party" owns the lease of the fourth flat.
    All four flats are let with AST agreement
    Q - Am I able to purchase the freehold of all the four leashold flats?
    Q - Or am I oblidged to give the "second party" a opportunity to buy their
    leasehold flat
    Q - Or is the present freeholder oblidged to offer the freehold to the "second party" (who of owns the lease of the fourth flat.)

Jacob Oliver

Yes, you are able to purchase the freehold. Is the freeholder selling the freehold? If the freeholder wished to dispose of the freehold, they would probably have to offer it to all of his lessees for first refusal.

Comment

Freehod purchase of a block of four flats

Poppy thanks for your comments

Yes a inclusive price has been agreed for all four flats but your reply says that the Freeholder "probally" has to offer the Freehold to the "other party"

Who knows please does probally mean they "must" offer to the "other party"

And please comments to my other questions

To Paul F - I am sure that you will know the answer to these queries

Jacob Oliver

Comment

Try the Leasehold Advisory Service website www.lease-advice.org. Go to their link freehold purchase for flats www.lease-advice.org/cegsframe.htm. You should find better answers there.

I don't recommend that you try to do a private deal with the freeholder whilst (intentionally?) cutting out the other lessee. It's almost certainly a contravention of some housing act or other...

Comment

Freehod purchase of a block of four flats

Poppy I am sure that you are right it would not be helpful if I tried to cut out the other leaseholder

I have also learnt that the present Freeholder has by "law" to inform the other leasholders about this matter and to give them an opprtunity to share this purchase.

Poppy thanks for the website address - I have to say that I am surprised that that this fairly important subject did not create more response - perhaps it has been all said before.

Jacob OLiver

Comment

I think that the reason for the lack of response is because most leaseholders who rent out their property (and therefore become landlords and post on this forum) do not actually own the freehold of the building. They therefore are not always aware of the rights and responsibilities of the freeholder.

I have owned the freehold of a block of flats (which is actually a house converted into 3 flats) for 10 years. I make it my business to know both my rights as a freeholder and my lessees' rights.

Comment

freehold purchase of a block of 4 flats

Our landlord has owned the freehold in 3 of the 4 flats in our block for 21 years, but purchased the separate freehold in the 4TH flat from the former leasehold owner who did not inform any of her 3 neighbours about the transaction. (She owned the separate freehold in her leasehold flat for 12 years)

We would all have purchased the freehold title from the former leasehold owner if we had know about the transaction.

Please advise.
              moonface

Comment

I do not think that RFR applies if the purchase is of only one flat's [severed] f/r.
                JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
                1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
                4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

freehold purchase of a block of 4 flats

Thank you Jeffrey

You say you think RFR may not apply, as only one flat was severed, But I need to know if it is a fact RFR did not apply.
                  moonface

Comment

So read LTA 1987, please. It should say.
                    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
                    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
                    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
                      I do not think that RFR applies if the purchase is of only one flat's [severed] f/r.
                      It seems to does. See section 1 (2) (a) of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1987:

(2) Subject to subsections (3) and (4), this Part applies to premises if—
                      (a) they consist of the whole or part of a building

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
                        It seems to does. See section 1 (2) (a) of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1987:

(2) Subject to subsections (3) and (4), this Part applies to premises if—
                        (a) they consist of the whole or part of a building
                        True, but s.1(2)(b) disapplies the Act if the part-building contains only one flat!

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
                          True, but s.1(2)(b) disapplies the Act if the part-building contains only one flat!
                          Careful consideration of the wording suggests you may well be right. I took it to mean that the right does not apply where the building of which the premises to be disposed form part only contains one flat.

The wording would seem to allow individual flats to be disposed of separately to different associated companies.

Comment

conveyance of reversion of one flat only

right of first refusal would not apply. same if the freeholder conveyed reversion of, say a lock up garage held on a parallel lease.........

Comment

Can I throw in a "Baldrick" question?

What's the difference between buying the freehold & buying the ground rents?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Joint ownership swap on properties
                                by space cowboy
                                We have several rented out properties which we have inherited and have been left in Joint 50/50 ownership with another family member, We want to continue renting out but the other family member wants to sell his share.

We have been told by our accountant we can swap properties of even value...
                                13-05-2022, 14:16 PM
                              • Reply to Joint ownership swap on properties
                                by Gordon999
                                If one of the 50:50 properties happens to be the "private residence" of other family member , you should allow in the swap that he receives the other 50% of the private residence ( to make up 100% ownership.)

Private residence is relevant after property sale for claiming...
                                16-05-2022, 08:41 AM
                              • Carpeting Breach on purchase
                                by Stevo h
                                Hello
                                we are on the final stages of purchasing a flat which was purpose built 3 years ago by a prestige developer to a high standard with lift nice kitchen fancy doors and windows.
                                When reading the lease we noticed that it mentions about bedroom and hallway needed to have underlay and...
                                13-05-2022, 09:42 AM
                              • Reply to Carpeting Breach on purchase
                                by AndrewDod
                                I'd probably pull out if you don't want to carpet it....
                                15-05-2022, 18:21 PM
                                by Stevo h
                                So basically I cannot fight it without paying a big bill.
                                so only choice is to pull out and face a big bill or pay for carpets Overton of nice flooring and paying again to have two doors trimmed.
                                Tototally frustrated....
                                15-05-2022, 17:14 PM
                                by Stevo h
                                Looks like all 20 properties were sold without a single person realising that the flooring was wood and not çarpet meaning every one was in breach of their lease from the start.
                                And the developer who still owns properties there and is registered as the company running the show Newmans Yard Ltd,...
                                15-05-2022, 16:58 PM
                                by AndrewDod
                                So you considered the contract that was being sold to you
                                Accepted it
                                Accepted a cash offer to make good and a rebate on purchase price

It is not a "bizarre" thing

> would the land lord need to take enforcement action against the whole 20 owners if...
                                15-05-2022, 11:41 AM
                                by Stevo h
                                After I noticed it and pointed it out the seller contacted her solicitor and the while can of worms opened,
                                the seller hit a brick wall with all her attempts of getting answers and finally offered a cash offer for us to complete the work.
                                But I am not really keen on having doors trimming...
                                15-05-2022, 11:29 AM
                                by AndrewDod
                                So when was the lease changed? You would have bought the lease from someone else. Leases don't just secretly change at the point of purchase. Nor do they change when the freeholder is changed.

Yes I can see on the photographs the wooden floors in their sales pack.

Why did your...
                                15-05-2022, 08:57 AM
                                by Stevo h
                                We only signed 1 lease.
                                15-05-2022, 08:24 AM
                              Working...
                              X