Sub-dividing maisonette into two flats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sub-dividing maisonette into two flats

My son has bought his council maisonette which is half a georgian house. He had to keep it for 3 years before he could sell without penalty and this is up in December. He owns the basement and ground floor and garden. The basement has steps down to a yard/well and a separate entrance, and the ground floor has access through the original front door. The council has a tenant in the upper two floors. My son would like to divide this up, giving himself one flat and renting or selling the other one to pay off his mortgage. He has approached the council and they have, verbally, said this would not be possible. Splitting it would involve putting another bathroom and complying with noise and fire proofing regulations. Has anyone had any such experience? Would there be HMO implications in creating another unit? Would there be problems with the fact he owns it leashold? Would his situation be better if he bought the freehold? I hope someone has some information however small.

1. Council own freehold. Son has no statutory right to acquire it.
    2. If Council do agree to sell it non-statutorily, it must be for whole building and not just his flat.
    3. Son is lessee, so any splitting must be by way of underlease.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Also, what about the other flat? Do Council still own it?
      If its tenant also bought it on RTB lease, son + other flat's lessee could jointly acquire Council's freehold reversion.
      JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
      1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
      2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
      3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
      4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Newly completed property issue with state of property
        by Hollywood
        It is up to purchaser to insure property from exchange of contracts
        06-06-2020, 19:00 PM
      • Newly completed property issue with state of property
        by JPM
        Hi a friend has completed on his first home today, and found out last night someone went in and ripped the copper piping out and messed the boiler and electrics etc up. Insurance have said they won’t pay out and its about 8-10k damage to fix.

His solicitor says he shouldve checked the...
        05-06-2020, 21:55 PM
      • Reply to Newly completed property issue with state of property
        by Tipper
        Presumably the house wasn't his when the damage was done. I'm assuming the damage was before completion.

I'd be jumping up and down on the seller's/builders desk demanding they get it fixed.

Presuming the insurance was in place before completion (always best to insure at exchange...
        06-06-2020, 09:03 AM
      • Freehold purchase
        by freeholderkid
        Purchasing the freehold for my property being a house with gardens and garage.

The current leasehold title is part of a larger title plan for the area.

A TP1 is provided by the council selling the freehold with all the details filled-in except signatures.
        04-06-2020, 20:54 PM
      • Reply to Freehold purchase
        by Gordon999
        You need to get the site plan for your house separated from the adjacent houses before you can start. It should be the seller side which does this work
        05-06-2020, 16:23 PM
      • Search Fee. Was I ripped off.
        by Always Problems
        I made an offer on a house.which was accepted. The Estate Agent recommended "their" Conveyancing Firm and I asked if it was "No Sale No Fee" and they said yes.
        Anyway the Conveyancing Firm rang me and I paid a £50 deposit.

They then wanted another £350 ...
        03-06-2020, 09:38 AM
      • Reply to Search Fee. Was I ripped off.
        by Lawcruncher
        The solicitors may have done a local search, water search and so-called environmental search. Ask for a disbursement bill.
        03-06-2020, 10:01 AM
      • Field problem
        by U01lsn
        We have a semi rural house which is part of a Hamlet once all owned by my wife’s Nanna and Grandad.
        My wife had used part of this land for 25 years (Her brother had it for 15 years previous to her) to house her animals with a verbal agreement that she could use it until she gave up keeping...
        29-05-2020, 12:23 PM
      • Reply to Field problem
        by Always Problems
        You are in occupation. Presumably if they want to sell they would have to serve you with Notice To Quit. It sounds like that as no rent was ever paid, could you argue that you were given the land. Is the land registered with eth Land Registry. With a small plot of land you could join the Small Farmers...
        03-06-2020, 09:08 AM
      • punishment for not registering a property?
        by sublimagic
        Hi

complicated question but I cant seem to find a answer online anywhere, I know its a crime not to register a property with the land registry when it changes hands but does anyone know what the penalty or consequences are? the changeover would have happened in 2000 but is still un registered...
        04-03-2014, 20:08 PM
      Working...
      X