Property subject to AST- what's required on purchase?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Property subject to AST- what's required on purchase?

Hi

I am considering purchasing a property which has a tenant half way through an AST

I was wondering how taking on another L's AST works, particularly-

Does current L have to serve notice and I draw up a new AST?

If not what happens with the current protected deposit?

Are there any other pitfalls I should watch out for?

Thanks for your time

1. Purchase as normal.
    2. On completion, V hands-over to you (as P) a Letter of Authority addressed to T.
    3. After completion, you send to T:
    a. that Letter;
    b. Notice under s.3 of LTA 1985; and
    c. Notice under s.48 of LTA 1987.
    4. The Tenancy continues as it stands, except that you become L. No new Agreement is necessary, at least until the existing one expires.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Thanks for your time Jeffrey, I appreciate that.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
        1. Purchase as normal.
        Soemthing else: your sols. will need to liaiase with V's sols. to apportion rent on completion.
        Example:
        1. T agreed to pay rent of £1000 pcm, in advance, on first day of each month.
        2. You complete purchase today (12 Sept.)
        3. If T HAS paid Sept. rent to V, V owes you 18 days' rent (13-30 Sept.)
        4. If T HAS NOT paid Sept. rent, you owe V 12 days' rent (1-12 Sept.) which you can then recover (with rest of Sept. rent) from T.
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Purchasing property that is tenanted
          by mhuk01
          Hello,

I am currently in the process of purchasing a tenanted property. The tenant is on a 12 month AST that will expire in June. I'm currently just a few weeks from exchanging contracts, however I'd like to understand in more depth how this process will work...

I would...
          25-03-2020, 16:06 PM
        • Reply to Purchasing property that is tenanted
          by theartfullodger
          After serving notice(s) compliant with s48 & S3. If not served no rent due (s48) and possible criminal offence and fines (S3).

Tenant does not have to agree or sign any new tenancy or changes.

When did tenant 1st move in? If early enough it won't be AST -regardless of...
          26-03-2020, 08:38 AM
        • Reply to Purchasing property that is tenanted
          by flyingfreehold
          Secure the property then see about either renewing of granting a new tenancy in favour of the tenant. You have no "nexus" with the tenant at present ie no legal standing concerning the letting. Therefore you cant legally contract terms with him or her. as you are not the landlord. Sort it...
          25-03-2020, 21:58 PM
        • Reply to What's the worse that could happen?
          by flyingfreehold
          If £5000 was all I'd lost this week, I'd be extremely happy!...
          24-03-2020, 22:05 PM
        • What's the worse that could happen?
          by SomeGuyNamedDave
          Hi there, you don't know me but I've agreed to buy a £40,000 leasehold flat on an online auction, I've already exchanged contracts and paid £5000 fees and deposit. Let's not get into why but I don't want the flat anymore. So my question is, how bad could it get if I say I'm not buying it? I can accept...
          18-03-2020, 21:45 PM
          by flyingfreehold
          In today's deflated world suppose they put it in the next auction with a note that "buyer failed to complete" the dealers in the room (or virtual room) will assume you discovered it had dry rot or something like that and it only makes 30K you owe them aanother 5K plus legals and another lot...
          24-03-2020, 22:02 PM
          by Lawcruncher
          If you fail to complete, the seller can keep the deposit. He is also entitled to damages for any loss to the extent that they exceed the amount of the deposit.

Examples:

Loss £6000 and deposit £5000, the seller can claim £1000.

Loss £4000 and deposit £5000,...
          24-03-2020, 10:42 AM
          by Jon66
          If you have exchanged contracts you have to complete the purchase. The penalty is not just the deposit, you will be liable for all losses. In this environment the losses could be huge, including any loss in value.
          24-03-2020, 01:05 AM
        • Selling of freehold, shareholder refusal
          by debzb
          My husband had an offer on his flat back in April 2019, he owns 25% of the freehold and 100% of the leasehold on his individual flat. Unfortunately, one of the owners died so he had to wait for the family to get probate. In the meantime the other 3 freehold owners signed ID1 and TR1 forms and a deed...
          28-02-2020, 17:12 PM
        • Reply to Selling of freehold, shareholder refusal
          by Lawcruncher
          If a freehold is vested in four owners and one dies then (absent some restriction on the register - which would be unusual) you do not need to wait for probate of the deceased owner to transfer the freehold. I also do not understand how the documents executed have expired.

Whilst not entirely...
          23-03-2020, 23:31 PM
        Working...
        X