Vendor may have to be reluctant landlord

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vendor may have to be reluctant landlord

A couple say they want to buy our house and have made a verbal offer. They have just put their (cheaper) house on the market and have said they would like to move in to our house ASAP as it is just what they have been looking for and don't want to lose it. Because of the urgency they have come up with a novel suggestion- Could they pay us a very large deposit, (don't know how much, but they have inherited some money) and then rent our house until they have sold theirs and then pay the balance?

Has any one ever heard of this arrangement before and what are the implications? What if they decide after a few months that they no longer like the house or their circumstances change and don't want to buy it anymore? What if they fail to sell their previous property at all? Could they not get a bridging loan or rent out their present house themselves as we would much prefer to receive all of the money but in the present market this may be the best offer that comes along. What if another buyer offers to buy our house and can pay the whole amount while the first couple are renting it?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as we have said we would give them an answer soon. TIA

Better: exchange contracts and make them pay 10% deposit. Set long completion date (e.g. one year) but add contract clause allowing them to serve two weeks' Notice fixing earlier date). During period of occupation, they will pay licence fee- NOT "rent"- under Standard Conditions of Sale [ed. 4] clause 5.2. The rate is Barclays Bank plc base rate + 4 percentage points, on the as-yet-unpaid 90% of the purchase price.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Thanks so much for your quick answer Jeffrey. You really "know your stuff" as they say and your suggestion may be workable. My only concern is that we do really need to sell our existing house and raise as much as possible as we want to purchase a property/live abroad and would rather sever all financial connections with the UK. Could they be "made" to buy our house once they have contracted to do so? If we agree to your suggestion are we opening up a legal and tax mine field? TIA

Comment

I forgot to ask:- who would be responsible for the bills, maintenance, etc, of our house if they were living in it as licencees? Once the selling price had been agreed at the outset, would they be bound to pay it? What if house prices fell a lot more over the next 12 months, surely they could live in it for several months, serve their notice and then offer us a much lower price as they would be aware of exactly the interest shown in the property by third parties and our personal circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by jenny36 View Post
          Could they be "made" to buy our house once they have contracted to do so?
          Yes. The contract, once exchanged, will be legally binding and therefore enforceable by you (no matter where you then are).
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

Originally posted by jenny36 View Post
            Who would be responsible for the bills, maintenance, etc, of our house if they were living in it as licencees? Once the selling price had been agreed at the outset, would they be bound to pay it? What if house prices fell a lot more over the next 12 months, surely they could live in it for several months, serve their notice and then offer us a much lower price.
            1. They (P) would be responsible for outgoings from exchange of contracts. Standard Conditions so demand.
            2. As already posted, the contract will be binding and enforceable.
            3. So- P cannot then "offer...a much lower price". The figure in the contract is what counts, irrespective of market prices rising or falling.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Make alterations to property and/or Rent it before completion
              by bob369
              Is it possible to make minor alrterations to a property and/or rent it from a vendor, during the Conveyancing process ?

I am looking to buy a C3 Semi and convert to C4 Small HMO, and secure the C4 PD, before an artkcle 4 is introduced - the date of which may occur towards the end of the...
              09-07-2020, 21:01 PM
            • Reply to Make alterations to property and/or Rent it before completion
              by bob369
              Thank you for your points, appreciated

So a property under offer and conveyancing really needs to get to exchange before anything can be done, either occupying or things such as simple decorating.
              11-07-2020, 14:32 PM
            • Reply to Freeholder banged up abroad
              by sealed1
              I found this in Practice Guide 24. I don't know if this would apply:
              If the disposition creating the trust requires the consent of more than two persons to a disposition and it is not possible to obtain the consent of all of them, but two of the necessary consents can be provided, this is sufficient...
              10-07-2020, 18:59 PM
            • Freeholder banged up abroad
              by sealed1
              My wife and I own the freehold (we are both named on the title) of our building with Mr A. Mr A is in prison abroad and possibly won't be willing to sign documents in prison. He own the lease of the one other flat in the building.

We are selling our flat (with the value on the leasehold)...
              10-07-2020, 11:42 AM
              by sealed1
              That's interesting. Another thing I've noticed is that when the TR1 was entered when we were transferees, it stated that the three of us were 'to hold the property on trust for themselves as tenants in common in equal shares' - It was also marked as 'not for money'.

The TR1 form for the...
              10-07-2020, 18:40 PM
            • Reply to Buying a house with BOTH Freehold and Leasehold titles?
              by Lawcruncher
              I cannot say how usual it is to find cases where the freehold and leasehold titles have not been merged. I only worked in areas where long leasehold houses were unusual. Despite the case referred to above, either through an abundance of caution or because the client wants to save costs, it would not...
              10-07-2020, 17:41 PM
            • Buying a house with BOTH Freehold and Leasehold titles?
              by trusaiyan
              Hi
              I wonder if you can help with some advice.

My relative is purchasing a property which we were told is 'definitely freehold'. He claims he purchased the freehold a few years ago.

However, we have now discovered this is not fully true and while he did purchase the...
              09-07-2020, 14:51 PM
              by pilman
              The share of a tenancy in common can be disposed of in a will, so there appears to be no reason why the half share in the freehold cannot be transferred if that was the share shown on the deed of trust created when the named parties were entered as proprietors of the freehold title.

The...
              10-07-2020, 15:22 PM
              by sealed1
              Also, if I was really stuck here, would being tenants in common like this be the same as owning it is a trust - could possibly arrange a section 25 power of attorney under the Trustee Act 1925 if so. The issue I fear is that he might not want to reveal a TR1 in a foreign prison that shows he owns a...
              10-07-2020, 14:51 PM
              by sealed1
              The lease is about 160 years with no ground rent - it has the value of the property that we bought it for 5 years ago.

The freehold is currently being transferred for £1. If this was changed to nothing of monetary value would this help?

Thanks - I'll await Lawcruncher then...
              10-07-2020, 14:39 PM
            Working...
            X