Less than 50% of freehold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Less than 50% of freehold

I have just started conveyancing for a share of freehold flat. The flat is the ground floor of a converted house.

I have just found out that the other 2 share of freehold flats are owned by the same person (who originally owned the whole building).

How much of a problem is this? I am concerned that because I have less than 50% of the freehold the owner of the other 2 flats can make all the decisions and I would have limited say

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Do you mean that you are buying a leasehold flat with a share of the freehold?

Comment

If you own a minority share of the freehold, then true you have no say at all. The freeholder still has to obey the lease and the law though.

I would not buy it. Owning a minority share in a "share of freehold" situation is far worse than not owning any share at all (and having an independent external freeholder or even a freeholder who is also a lessee).

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
        Do you mean that you are buying a leasehold flat with a share of the freehold?
        Yes that is correct

Comment

AndrewDod,

Thank you, my thoughts are going this way. Could you explain briefly why it would be worse? I assume because I'm on the hook for shared costs whereas if I had the same flat but without the freehold I would not

Comment

No. Your obligations and those of the FH are determined by the lease. When the FH does not obey the lease (or cheats) you have recourse via the courts. If you are part of the freeholder (but with no actual ability to uphold those obligations) you would be taking legal action against yourself. If as a result of those actions (against yourself) the freeholder was bankrupted, you would lose your asset to the crown.

People are often attracted by "share of freehold" as they consider that it adds value. Occasionally it does, but it is more often a poison chalice. If in a minority situation there is almost no upside, and plenty of potential downside.

Comment

another problem with share of freehold is that neighbours can end up in dispute and at each others throats. And having to sue neighbours is most undesirable. Those campaigning for leasehold reform havent gone into print as to how to enforce against leaseholders who refuse to pay. We have one leaseholder who has paid no ground rent or service charges since 2015, the balance is around ten thousand pounds owed. There are two county court judgements and both registered as a charge against the leasehold. Not had a reply to any letter but some sent back from the property "not here" In theory we could apply for a possession order but the debt is racking up at a compound interest at 8 per cent with monthly rest dates.

Comment

Originally posted by raskitt View Post
                I have just started conveyancing for a share of freehold flat. The flat is the ground floor of a converted house.

I have just found out that the other 2 share of freehold flats are owned by the same person (who originally owned the whole building).

How much of a problem is this? I am concerned that because I have less than 50% of the freehold the owner of the other 2 flats can make all the decisions and I would have limited say

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

If you own a 1/3 rd share in the freehold title , you do not pay ground rent and you can give your flat a statutory lease extension at nil premium.

The service charge for maintenance of the building should contributed 1/3rd by your flat. If the other freeholder contributes 2/3rds for 2 flats , why should you be worried?

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon999 View Post
                  If you own a 1/3 rd share in the freehold title , you do not pay ground rent and you can give your flat a statutory lease extension at nil premium.
                  Neither of the above are necessarily true

The service charge for maintenance of the building should contributed 1/3rd by your flat. If the other freeholder contributes 2/3rds for 2 flats , why should you be worried?
                  Read this forum and the comments already made. Plenty of reason to worry.

Comment

Obviously, my feedback can be wrong. OP 's solicitor should check the terms in the lease are all acceptable before he commits to exchange of contract for purchase of "leasehold flat".

He should not try to buy a "freehold flat" which does not qualify for mortgage loans.

Comment

Obviously, my feedback can be wrong. OP 's solicitor should check the terms in the lease are all acceptable before he commits to exchange of contract for purchase of "leasehold flat".
                      I think the issue here is not so much the lease (if it is bad, that is a problem) but what the options are when the lease/law are disobeyed (as is commonly the case). Certainly if one is charitable and generous (as you are) and assumes the lease/law will be obeyed rigorously, then the lease is key. But fraud is the name of the game in the leasehold sector and the assumption is that there will be fraud now or in the future.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to CPO indemnity
                        by Muji84
                        The date on the land registry is the 23.02.1983.

I only found our about the charge when going through the mortgage.

I suspect (and I could be 100% wrong) that as I brought the house cash only, there were no mortgage conditions etc the convayoncer would have to meet in order...
                        12-08-2022, 09:44 AM
                      • CPO indemnity
                        by Muji84
                        Hi all,

Looking for some guidance on a mortgage that I am going through,

I own a property outright and my mortgage company noticed there is an CPO order showing on land registry from the 1980s and requires myself/solicitors to purchase a cpo indemnity policy to protect itself....
                        10-08-2022, 20:43 PM
                      • Reply to CPO indemnity
                        by Lawcruncher
                        That is not making sense. If the CPO dates back to the 1980s no way would it have been registered after October 2021. In the unlikely event it was you would have been given written notice. Have a look at the relevant entry on the register. At the start in brackets is a date. What is it?...
                        12-08-2022, 08:42 AM
                      • Reply to CPO indemnity
                        by Muji84
                        Hi lawcruncher

I brought the property in October 2021, my conveyancer mentioned recently that at that time "there was no cpo revealed in the searches to make this necessary" I was asking if they purchased a cpo indemnity policy

The CPO is showing on land registry....
                        12-08-2022, 08:08 AM
                      • Reply to problems with a freeholder
                        by D P Dance
                        No ground rent is owing, it is paid monthly with the service charges to the HA. The buyer is aware of the nature of the HA and the freeholder as thy already own a flat in the lock....
                        11-08-2022, 14:19 PM
                      • problems with a freeholder
                        by D P Dance
                        I am selling ne of my properties.

The sale is being held up as the freeholder, (Homeground), is refusing to provie information to my solicitor which has been requested by my buyer's solicittor as the ground rent is outstanding.

I pay the ground rent monthly along with my...
                        10-08-2022, 09:58 AM
                      • Reply to CPO indemnity
                        by Lawcruncher
                        The first and important point to make is that a CPO must be exercised within 3 years. There may be some doubt about precisely when the 3 years starts, but there can surely be no doubt that a CPO made in the 1980s is now a dead letter. Either it was never exercised or, if it was, it related to a part...
                        11-08-2022, 09:07 AM
                        by Section20z
                        It's not just ground rent, if freeholder refuses to answer LPE1 enquiries it should raise a big red flag for any buyer.
                        11-08-2022, 08:10 AM
                        by Gordon999
                        Do you know how much ground rent is owing ?

You could make an offer to buyer's solicitor for a retention £1000 to cover any ground rent owing before sale date . Retention held by Seller's solicitor for one year....
                        10-08-2022, 17:55 PM
                      • DIY Conveyancing process for an informal lease extension.
                        by madasafish
                        Please note: This is a continuation of “Conveyancer/Solicitor required to complete and submit an electronic AP1 form to LRO” by my alias Lat. I did submit this in that thread 3 days ago but was met with “Approval Required” after editing spelling mistake’s. A lot of peeps have reported the

08-10-2021, 04:25 AM
                      Working...
                      X