Can I claim a derelict property?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Can I claim a derelict property?

    I seem to remember someone adding to a thread here, something about waiting to claim an empty property, or something like that. I've looked through lots of threads but can't seem to find it. Anyone got any idea how this works, as I've spotted a nice (when I say nice, I mean has excellent potential once some money has been spent on it ) house that has clearly been abandoned.

  • #2
    Wasn't this about an initiative whereby local councils were going to crack down on empty properties, as opposed to Joe Public wandering along and saying 'Mm, looks abandoned; I think I'll have that!'? Could be wrong.

    Anyway your first step would be to go to where for £2 you can find out instantly who the registered owner is.


    • #3
      What you should take into account is come the new housing act 2004, local authorities can place EDMO's (empty dwelling property orders) on owners of empty properties whereby they can be made to bring them back into use with the approval of residential property tribunals (RPT).


      • #4
        Richie I have an eBook on this, some useful info inside all of the usual eBook "easy money" propaganda . PM me your email address if you want it.

        However I think the most important thing for you to note is, if I remember rightly from the info I read, you cannot claim any property for at least 10 years. And the law has changed with regards to this, as after ten years you apply to claim the property, but now the claim only goes through if the actual owner does not object to the claim.....when is that going to happen! lol
        Any posts by myself are my opinion ONLY. They should never be taken as correct or factual without confirmation from a legal professional. All information is given without prejudice or liability.


        • #5
          Thanks for the replies.

          Someone mentioned something alluding to waiting to become an owner oif a property on here somewhere. I may have read between the lines incorrectly.

          I don't suppose it was ever going to be simple. I think the Land Registry suggestion is a good start and I'll make the owner offer.

          Mr Shed, PM on its way.


          Latest Activity


          • Should I register a charge or a restriction on a property
            We lent £15,000 to a family member who signed a loan agreement for the amount to be repaid on or before 30th September 2017. His circumstances have changed and it is unlikely that he will be able to repay this money by the due date. We would like to take steps to secure this money should his house...
            19-07-2017, 19:11 PM
          • Reply to Should I register a charge or a restriction on a property
            I would take your agreement to a solicitor and get specific advice....
            23-07-2017, 06:13 AM
          • Land registry trubunal
            In our tribunal case the respondents solicitor has shown our witness statements to their witness s who in turn have put the info on Facebook and our witnesses have recieved threats !! Is this legal and what can we do now...
            19-07-2017, 12:08 PM
          • Reply to Land registry trubunal
            There is a 'public interest' test. There are various bits of guidance for journalism etc.

            Impossible to say more without knowing details you probably won't want to give in open forum....
            23-07-2017, 06:11 AM
          • Title Deeds and Mortgage

            Not quite landlord related but hoping for some clarification one way or the other:-

            Is it possible for me to remain on the mortgage but to sign over house to spouse, ie, take my name off of the title deeds. This is a divorce scenario and I am wishing to remain on mortgage...
            22-07-2017, 15:36 PM
          • Reply to Title Deeds and Mortgage
            Or you just chuck her out and find a tenant?...
            23-07-2017, 06:09 AM
          • Reply to Title Deeds and Mortgage
            Presuming that what you are wanting to achieve is allow your spouse to remain in the property despite her affordability not being good enough, I would suggest that you either:
            1) Keep the current situation exactly as it is.
            2) Make a formal contractual arrangement to pay your spouse X money...
            22-07-2017, 16:51 PM
          • Reply to Title Deeds and Mortgage
            I would have thought virtually impossible. Think about it from the mortgagee's position - they have just effectively lost their security in the mortgage!...
            22-07-2017, 16:49 PM
          • Reply to Land registry trubunal
            What kind of threats?

            In general (in theory) the law is supposed to be an open thing. After all anyone in the public (and on facebook) should be able to attend a court hearing, listen to what a witness has to say, and report on the matter. That is what keeps the system (sort of) honest....
            21-07-2017, 14:33 PM
          • Reply to Should I register a charge or a restriction on a property
            I don't think you can....
            20-07-2017, 21:03 PM