Dealing with Adverse Possession objection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
    I suspect that that means that the land registry have identified that the claims made are sufficient, if true, to prevent them changing the records.

They are not a decision making body in these kind of cases, they don't evaluate the claims, they just note that they exist and are sufficient to cause them to stop doing what you request.
    Just to clarify:

In this case the LR has no records to change as the land is unregistered. When land is unregistered section 17 of the Limitation Act 1980 applies and the title of the ousted owner is extinguished when the period of limitation expires. An application to be registered as proprietor of the land by the adverse possessor is an application for first registration. As in any application for first registration, the LR assesses the title deduced and if satisfied will register the land with the applicant as first proprietor and with whatever class of title the LR considers appropriate.

Quite separate from the above, anyone can, under section 73 LRA 2002, object to any application to the LR. If an objection is made the application must, unless the objection is considered groundless, be referred to the First-tier Tribunal if the objector and applicant cannot reach agreement.

Comment

I rang the LR and spoke to a lawyer support officer to ask about what evidence had been provided to substantiate the objections. She said there did not appear to be any but that it must have been the lawyers that decided to continue on this track. When I explained the circumstances, it was suggested that I write back to the LR explaining that I have provided evidence and requesting evidence from the objectors in order to make an informed decision about whether to negotiate or proceed straight to first-tier tribunal. I have done that and will see what they come back with.

It may be that, as one poster suggested previously, the LR would do this with any objection - even some of the false ones I have received such as neighbours using the land daily when they have no access to it, however, I would have thought some of these could easily be struck off as groundless to save everyones time.

helpmenot - thank you for the images, some of which are very helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken_Johnson View Post

The LR letter simply attaches the objections and asks how I want to continue .i.e. I can either (1) Negotiate or (2) Proceed to the first tier tribunal or (3) Withdraw the application.
        In that case if you wish to proceed with your application I think that post 15 has some sound advice.

You may though wish to bear in mind that, whilst being registered means your title is guaranteed by the state, if you are in adverse possession you still have title to the land which is good against the whole world other than someone who can show a better title. So long as you remain in occupation you are unlikely to have a problem.

Comment

Assuming it goes to the tribunal, is there any merit in obtaining further statutory declarations or rather, new stat decs. with further detail?

Previously stat decs. were from the Executor of the Estate/cousin of the couple that I purchased from and a neighbour stating:

- dates (e.g. neighbour been there since 1990), that the previous couple had exclusive use of the land, constructed the access gate and maintained it etc.

Comment

Better to have them than not need them?
            That being said, don’t commit to much money or time on obtaining them.

You have made your case to title - which LR have accepted, the onus now is for your neighbour to substantiate their objection.

I stand by my opinion in post #15 and do feel the next logical step is to extract the evidence (if any) my neighbour had.
            This would hopefully show. A: If they do have better title than I B: what evidence I need to counter and C: an idea of my chance of success.

I know it’s difficult, but the quicker this process ends, the less tension and resentment will build between you and your neighbour/s.

I recently employed a litigation exert to write a Pre action letter, which I would be happy to share as a template for you to draft for your situation.

Comment

helpmenot There wouldn't be much cost to obtaining them so I might just do that to have them 'in my back pocket' so to speak. I'm definitely taking heed of your advice in post 15 and if you have a pre action letter to share, that would be great - you have my e-mail address.

Comment

Letter emailed. Best of luck

Comment

Well I heard back from LR who in a long-winded letter state that:

"While an applicant must show an arguable case to support their application and provide evidence of this, an objector is not under the same burden."

So now following the advice in post 15 and seeing what happens.

Comment

Any update?

Comment

Apologies for the delay.

Wrote to the two objectors, twice, never heard anything back. One of the objectors tried threatening physical action, reported to Police, crime reference number obtained. Informed Land Registry that as they are not responding, it's best to go to tribunal.

Comment

Good to hear an update.
                        To clarify: you informed land registry your opinion is that the objection is groundless.
                        did you also send my letter template to your neighbours?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                        X