Lease, Maintenance, Sink Fund

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lease, Maintenance, Sink Fund

Hi, hope I am posting this question in the correct forum.

I am a first-time buyer who is looking to purchase a buy-to-let flat. I am struggling to find out the cost of properties' lease, maintenance and sink fund. Has anyone here had the same issues?

Standard pre sale enquiries for the vendor, nobody on here can tell you .......

Comment

You could call land registry and get the lease duration. Actual lease us also available for 7-14 pounds.

Maintenance - it depends I would say average numbers in London between 0-2k.
      It does depend if there is a lift, concierge large territory to maintain or just 1 flat down, 1 flat up.

Sink fund - if there are major works scheduled, lease allows it and the money in the sink fund stay with the flat.

Comment

All flats in E & W are sold under leasehold title which under the lease requires the flat buyer ( as leaseholder) to pay annual ground rent plus annual service charge. The annual service charge is to cover the cost of maintenance of the building and buildings insurance , and some leases may include provision for setting up sinking fund for long term repairs ( e.g replacement of roof tiles and wooden window frames. ).

One of the morning papers ( Guardian ) reported the average service service cost in 2018 is about £1800 p.a .

When you visit the estate agent advertising the flat, you can ask for details of the lease term,including payments for annual ground rent and annual service charge payments from seller.

Comment

THe freeholder has to tell your solicitor what the current and next years service charges are.
          They have to tell you ( him ) what the next 3 years service charges may be ( simple-- just like a car, you will know that in 12 months time it will need a full service, or in 5 months time you will need new tyres, and in 5 years time a new ckutch )

All you are asking for is contained in the LPE1 form the freeholder is requested to fill in.

Just ask your conveyencer or solicitor to forward a completed PLE1 form to you as soon as they get it.

LPE1 form is found at
          https://www.lease-advice.org/files/2016/08/LPE1.pdf

Comment

ram,

Pretty sure the freeholder is not actually obliged by law to answer the LPE1. It is of course normal to expect them to do so.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Terrace Row Alleyway ISSUES!
              by nukecad
              My thinking too.

Access is clearly provided to all the back yards so that night soil and ashes from the fire can be removed, and coal delivered.

Why would would the developer/builder leave just one house with no rear access so that everything would have to be carried through...
              27-09-2021, 23:05 PM
            • Terrace Row Alleyway ISSUES!
              by Charlesstunts
              This subject must come up quite often! I inherited my father's house which is mid terrace and have managed it since 2012. It's the 3rd house from the end of the terrace and as long as I can remember the alley way at the back of the terrace stopped at the 2nd house in from the end. Photographs taken...
              07-06-2021, 18:00 PM
              by Kape65
              It's hard to be sure with that thick red line. I would order a copy of the title plan for one of the other properties, such as number 11, to get a clear picture. It does seem strange that number 17 is the only house with no rear access at all. How much would you be willing to risk if it went to cou...
              27-09-2021, 19:36 PM
              by Charlesstunts
              That was my initial take hence why I was prepared for the worst, but then if you look at the front of the property, the red boundary line is clearly on the front garden wall. It's harder to argue that the property mark was accidently drawn over the easement. Also historically looking at old photographs...
              27-09-2021, 18:40 PM
              by nukecad
              I wouldn't open the bubbly just yet.

Looking at your image there is clearly an allyway running behind No's 5 to 13, and possibly behind No.15.

It's difficult to see if it continues behind No.15 because of the red line, but it certainly looks like it does and from the layout...
              27-09-2021, 16:05 PM
              by Charlesstunts
              GOOD NEWS!!! Just when I thought the worst. As I previously suspected The Easement Stops at my boundary and my neighbour DOES NOT HAVE RIGHT OF ACCESS! My solicitors looked at the deeds and confirmed my boundary does go to the boundary fence of the adjoining property at the rear. This crosses the area...
              27-09-2021, 15:32 PM
            • Reply to Flying Freehold
              by Lawcruncher
              The plans do not require me to change anything I said above.

How old are the properties?
              27-09-2021, 15:13 PM
            • Flying Freehold
              by Dal1
              Hi

Me and my business partner seem to have hit a stumbling block in our purchase. Our current solicitor is insisting on a change to the boundary the sellers solicitor has tried to remedy this but cannot.

Are you able to offer some informal advice on this matter?
              27-09-2021, 10:14 AM
              by Dal1
              Hope this helps.
              27-09-2021, 14:37 PM
              by Lawcruncher
              image sharing

Without seeing the LR plan and knowing the layout it is not possible to comment definitively, but I think your solicitor is probably being overcautious.

The above plan shows two properties looked at from the street. The brown shows a covered passageway. The blue...
              27-09-2021, 12:56 PM
            Working...
            X