Problems with freeholders brought to light by conveyancing process

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems with freeholders brought to light by conveyancing process

I hope I have posted this in the right topic. We are currently in the process of selling a leasehold flat. The landlord manages it through a managing agent but they're essentially the same people if you look at the list of officers on the companies house website. The process is right at the end and I'm pretty sure our buyers are now going to pull out due to the following issues:

1) The landlord/managing agent is refusing to provide an adequate statement of accounts showing what we've paid them and what has been allocated to our flat. They've provided a statement of account of sorts but according to the buyer's solicitor this is not adequate.

2) By the terms of our lease the landlord is apparently required to have a reserve fund and no such fund exists.

Neither of these issues were raised when we bought the flat 5 years ago which leads me to think our own solicitors must have been remiss.

What are our options here? Is there anything we can offer the buyers (money off etc) to try to get the sale through?

It is a rare lease that REQUIRES a reserve fund. Most simply permit one. What does it say exactly.

Unfortunately freeholders can easily reduce the value of properties by making them hard to sell and then buying themselves eventually. It is a type of theft that is made easy by the legislative and intellectual vacuum that is leasehold law. There is no requirement that they provide honest (or any) answers to permit sales. Imprisonment for stealing from lessees, breaking the law or causing lethal risks to lessees is as rare as hen's teeth.

Comment

Thank you. It definitely says there has to be one. It says

"That the landlord maintains a reserve fund in accordance with the 6th schedule"

And then the 6th schedule itself is attached as a photo here.

Comment

Originally posted by ripeepeep View Post
        1) The landlord/managing agent is refusing to provide an adequate statement of accounts showing what we've paid them and what has been allocated to our flat. They've provided a statement of account of sorts but according to the buyer's solicitor this is not adequate.
        It is not usual to divulge personal accounts of leaseholders to strangers.
        The questions asked are "Are the service charges paid and up to date. The seller answers -Yes or no.
        A Yes is perfectly acceptable to a buyer
        Originally posted by ripeepeep
        2) By the terms of our lease the landlord is apparently required to have a reserve fund and no such fund exists.
        My answer to the reserve fund would be ( An assumption )
        There are no major repairs needed to the roof and foundations forseeable in the next 10 years, therefore there is no need to fund an item that does not need major works to be done in the next 10 years.
        Decorating is fine at present.
        And assuming the above statements will hold up.

Comment

Thank you. I certainly hope so but the buyer's solicitor appears to be holding firm!

Comment

Originally posted by ripeepeep View Post
            Thank you. It definitely says there has to be one. It says...
            As RAM indicates this does not oblige that there is a reserve fund, unless there is a purpose (under the lease) for such a fund in some reasonable timescale.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Terrace Row Alleyway ISSUES!
              by Kape65
              It's hard to be sure with that thick red line. I would order a copy of the title plan for one of the other properties, such as number 11, to get a clear picture. It does seem strange that number 17 is the only house with no rear access at all. How much would you be willing to risk if it went to cou...
              27-09-2021, 19:36 PM
            • Terrace Row Alleyway ISSUES!
              by Charlesstunts
              This subject must come up quite often! I inherited my father's house which is mid terrace and have managed it since 2012. It's the 3rd house from the end of the terrace and as long as I can remember the alley way at the back of the terrace stopped at the 2nd house in from the end. Photographs taken...
              07-06-2021, 18:00 PM
              by Charlesstunts
              That was my initial take hence why I was prepared for the worst, but then if you look at the front of the property, the red boundary line is clearly on the front garden wall. It's harder to argue that the property mark was accidently drawn over the easement. Also historically looking at old photographs...
              27-09-2021, 18:40 PM
              by nukecad
              I wouldn't open the bubbly just yet.

Looking at your image there is clearly an allyway running behind No's 5 to 13, and possibly behind No.15.

It's difficult to see if it continues behind No.15 because of the red line, but it certainly looks like it does and from the layout...
              27-09-2021, 16:05 PM
              by Charlesstunts
              GOOD NEWS!!! Just when I thought the worst. As I previously suspected The Easement Stops at my boundary and my neighbour DOES NOT HAVE RIGHT OF ACCESS! My solicitors looked at the deeds and confirmed my boundary does go to the boundary fence of the adjoining property at the rear. This crosses the area...
              27-09-2021, 15:32 PM
            • Flying Freehold
              by Dal1
              Hi

Me and my business partner seem to have hit a stumbling block in our purchase. Our current solicitor is insisting on a change to the boundary the sellers solicitor has tried to remedy this but cannot.

Are you able to offer some informal advice on this matter?
              27-09-2021, 10:14 AM
            • Reply to Flying Freehold
              by Lawcruncher
              The plans do not require me to change anything I said above.

How old are the properties?
              27-09-2021, 15:13 PM
              by Dal1
              Hope this helps.
              27-09-2021, 14:37 PM
              by Lawcruncher
              image sharing

Without seeing the LR plan and knowing the layout it is not possible to comment definitively, but I think your solicitor is probably being overcautious.

The above plan shows two properties looked at from the street. The brown shows a covered passageway. The blue...
              27-09-2021, 12:56 PM
              by Tipper
              You say that you only own 50% of the flying part.

If 50% then it may not actually be a true flying freehold as each property will own 50% of the footprint of the passageway below the flying part and each will have the right to pass over the others half.
              27-09-2021, 11:55 AM
            Working...
            X