Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Price to purchase neighbour's land next to my flat

Hi
    I was wondering if anyone could give an indication of what would be deemed as an acceptable price for a leaseholder to purchase the freehold for?

My neighbour has a plot of land adjacent to his flat.
    I would like to buy the plot of land from him, on which to build my own house.
    He is currently the leaseholder of the land and has applied to the freeholder (a company who happens to be a housing association) to buy the freehold.
    They have agreed to sell the freehold for the land to him, for the fee of 50% of what he sells it on at.
    That percentage seems exhorbetant. Does anyone have any expereience in this,or offer any guidance as to what is the norm or an acceptable percentage?

Many Thanks

Neighbour has no right to buy the land, of course, so price is whatever V wants for it!
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Hi

Perhaps I didn't explain it properly. (sorry,I'm new to this)
      The plot of land i am refering to, is part of my neighbours back garden.
      He owns the lease to his the flat, which has a huge garden.
      He is trying to purchasing the freehold, for the piece of land he already owns the lease for.

Does that make more sense?

Comment

Originally posted by housebuilddreamer View Post
        Hi

Perhaps I didn't explain it properly. (sorry,I'm new to this)
        The plot of land i am refering to, is part of my neighbours back garden.
        He owns the lease to his the flat, which has a huge garden.
        He is trying to purchasing the freehold, for the piece of land he already owns the lease for.

Does that make more sense?
        Yes, but a flat's lessee does not have rights to buy his own flat's freehold reversion (nor even the garden area of it).
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Less than 50% of freehold
          by raskitt
          I have just started conveyancing for a share of freehold flat. The flat is the ground floor of a converted house.

I have just found out that the other 2 share of freehold flats are owned by the same person (who originally owned the whole building).

How much of a problem is...
          29-06-2022, 13:28 PM
        • Reply to Less than 50% of freehold
          by AndrewDod
          I think the issue here is not so much the lease (if it is bad, that is a problem) but what the options are when the lease/law are disobeyed (as is commonly the case). Certainly if one is charitable and generous (as you are) and assumes the lease/law will be obeyed rigorously, then the lease is key....
          01-07-2022, 17:52 PM
          by Gordon999
          Obviously, my feedback can be wrong. OP 's solicitor should check the terms in the lease are all acceptable before he commits to exchange of contract for purchase of "leasehold flat".

He should not try to buy a "freehold flat" which does not qualify for mortgage...
          01-07-2022, 17:12 PM
          by AndrewDod
          Neither of the above are necessarily true

Read this forum and the comments already made. Plenty of reason to worry....
          01-07-2022, 12:52 PM
          by Gordon999
          If you own a 1/3 rd share in the freehold title , you do not pay ground rent and you can give your flat a statutory lease extension at nil premium.

The service charge for maintenance of the building should contributed 1/3rd by your flat. If the other freeholder contributes 2/3rds for...
          01-07-2022, 12:33 PM
          by flyingfreehold
          another problem with share of freehold is that neighbours can end up in dispute and at each others throats. And having to sue neighbours is most undesirable. Those campaigning for leasehold reform havent gone into print as to how to enforce against leaseholders who refuse to pay. We have one leaseholder...
          30-06-2022, 22:34 PM
          by AndrewDod
          No. Your obligations and those of the FH are determined by the lease. When the FH does not obey the lease (or cheats) you have recourse via the courts. If you are part of the freeholder (but with no actual ability to uphold those obligations) you would be taking legal action against yourself. If as...
          30-06-2022, 15:11 PM
          by raskitt
          AndrewDod,

Thank you, my thoughts are going this way. Could you explain briefly why it would be worse? I assume because I'm on the hook for shared costs whereas if I had the same flat but without the freehold I would not
          30-06-2022, 14:40 PM
          by raskitt
          Yes that is correct...
          30-06-2022, 14:38 PM
          by AndrewDod
          If you own a minority share of the freehold, then true you have no say at all. The freeholder still has to obey the lease and the law though.

I would not buy it. Owning a minority share in a "share of freehold" situation is far worse than not owning any share at all (and having...
          30-06-2022, 11:54 AM
        Working...
        X