Freehold not registered with Land Registry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freehold not registered with Land Registry

I would be grateful for any advice you may have. My daughter bought a ground floor flat in a terraced house conversion, initially leasehold. Shortly afterwards, the freeholder offered her the freehold, which she bought. Queries about responsibility for roof repairs prompted us to do a Land Registry search (Register of Title) which shows the property to be leasehold. However, the stipulated rent to the freeholder has never been asked for or paid. My daughter cannot find any documents related to the purchase of the freehold, although she knows it took place. Any ideas or advice would be so helpful, because this will arise, no doubt, when she sells the property.

Land registry should show three titles (the freehold and 2 leasehold flats) , even if your daughter bought the freehold the flat would still be shown leasehold. That's normal way to do it and nothing to worry about. Probably

Comment

Oh. Thanks. The only thing is, the leaseholder of the other flat believes we are joint leaseholders. How would they have bought it without knowing who the actual freeholder is? For example, say they wanted to extend the years on the lease? And why arent they surprised that they have never paid ground rent? I realise I sound exactly what I am!

Comment

Sounds like the two flats jointly own the freehold, you should check with Land Registry or Solicitor who dealt with it.

Comment

Hi Mouldylocks, there is no point in making assumptions, it will not help you resolve your queries. As mentioned in response #4 above, contact your daughters Solicitor that last acted for her in relation to this matter OR call the Land Registry direct. You will find the land registry can be extremely helpful.

Comment

Thank you both. I've booked a call with LEASE

Comment

Land registry should show three titles (the freehold and 2 leasehold flats) , even if your daughter bought the freehold the flat would still be shown leasehold.
              Using the Land Registry web-site anyone can obtain copies of each of the three registers of title.

Then it will be clear as to who is named as registered proprietor of each of the leasehold flats and who is named as the proprietor of the freehold title.

Using a credit card to spend £9 it will take just a few minutes to download the three registers of title if this matter is of concern to you.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X