Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No sublet clause on lease

Hi all,

I'm in the process of selling my leasehold flat. We were almost at the exchange stage and the freeholder has emailed our conyencer to let them no we have a no sublet clause in the lease. We were unaware of this at the time and the person looking to buy the flat is buying to rent. The other flats in our parade are all rented out but have different freeholders

What are our options please as we really dont want to lose the buyer and the house were meant to be purchasing. I believe we can apply for a deed of variation but can the freeholder decline this?

Hi Maz1982, were you not aware from the start when you accepted the offer from your Buyer that they were purchasing to let (Buy to Let) and not to live in (Residential)?

Comment

No I wasn't as they are a cash buyer and I wasn't aware of the clause in my lease until yesterday

Comment

You can certainly ask your Solicitor to contact your Freeholders Solicitor and request a Deed of Variation, but be prepared that they may ask for a ridiculous premium for the same. I've encountered situations like this before, and they can demand any price! Be warned. Also, do bear in mind that once you write to them and notify your Freeholder and/or their Solicitors that you are selling your flat and your buyer will not be residing in it but rather looking to let such, you may be putting your Freeholder on notice of a potential breach of covenant, and if your buyer takes the view that they will buy anyway and they live in the property for a while and then let it out, they will have to be made aware that you have notified your Freeholder (perhaps with their instruction) and any indemnity insurance policy for breach of leasehold covenants would be invalid. Also, having a Buy to Let Mortgage will be an issue for them as if they were forced by the Freeholder to move back into the flat (thus stopping the letting) they would inevitably be in breach of their mortgage conditions!. Good Luck

Comment

Thank you for your help. Fingers crossed we find a solution

Comment

As a safeguard, request your Solicitor request of the buyers Solicitor specific written confirmation they require you to contact the Freeholder/Freeholders Solicitor in this regard, noting the fact that their client may be purchasing with the aid of a Buy to Let mortgage on a property which prohibits letting.

Comment

They are not taking out any mortgage on the property as they are a cash buyer

Comment

I am curious to know what the Freeholder will charge you for a Deed of Variation (you don't have to tell me). The last case I dealt with similar to yours, the Freeholder charged an extortionate sum of something in the region of £17,000 plus £2,000 for their Solicitors legal costs.

Comment

Let's see what happens next week. Will keep you updated

Comment

What does the clause say?

Comment

Sorry my conveyancer has my lease at the moment and she read it out to me and she agreed it's definately a clause in the lease

Comment

There is a significant difference between an absolute and qualified prohibition.

Comment

It sounded absolute when the conveyancer read it to me and made it clear a deed of variation would be the only option

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Conveyancing confusion exchange vs completion and date!
                            by AndrewDod
                            I can't get my head around the confusion I have.

Buyer and seller agree to exchange contracts. No chain. I think at that point (under standard conditions) buyer has paid a 10% deposit which would be payable to the seller if the buyer withdraws.
                            It is said that "once contracts...
                            15-06-2021, 11:28 AM
                          • Reply to Conveyancing confusion exchange vs completion and date!
                            by pilman
                            That was the fundamental flaw when this thread was started.

Only if those parties were not legally represented would that be an accurate statement.

Once each party appoint a solicitor or a licensed conveyancer to act on their behalf, the decision to draft a contract that sets...
                            16-06-2021, 12:43 PM
                            by Lawcruncher
                            I have now found something:

"‘When the language of a contract does not expressly, or by necessary implication, fix any time for the performance of a contractual obligation, the law implies that it shall be performed within a reasonable time. The rule is of general application."...
                            15-06-2021, 21:03 PM
                          • Deed of Variation
                            by GreatLives
                            We are selling a flat which was a house historically, converted into 2 flats. We share the freehold with the upstairs neighbour, ours being the ground floor flat.
                            There is a small discrepancy between the Land Registry and Lease Plan in respect to the garden boundaries. The Lease plan correctly...
                            14-06-2021, 15:50 PM
                          • Reply to Deed of Variation
                            by The Expert
                            Hi GreatLives, what exactly is your Solicitor looking to vary? From what I read, your issue lies with the Land Registry plan and not the Lease Plan. Therefore, there is nothing to vary as any Deed of Variation would only vary the lease plan and not the land registry plan. Furthermore, if there is...
                            15-06-2021, 19:44 PM
                            by The Expert
                            Hi AndrewDod, no exchange can take place without a completion date. This can be either by way of a fixed completion date or by way of completion on notice, subject to the terms of a special condition drafted and agreed between the respective parties lawyers and incorporated in the contract (which is...
                            15-06-2021, 19:35 PM
                            by Lawcruncher
                            When I was ready to proceed I would always ring a client to confirm they were ready to exchange. If they said "yes" I went ahead. I would have regarded that as clear. I would have made a file note so the instructions were documented. Do you think something different should happen?
                            15-06-2021, 18:23 PM
                            by AndrewDod
                            Thank you - the concept is clearer (though given the stakes it would still seem that for the instruction "to exchange" should be exceptionally clear and well documented).

On the last part it does seem to me that in many transactions the exact nuances of the way in which a "problem"...
                            15-06-2021, 16:56 PM
                          • Reply to Deed of Variation
                            by Lawcruncher
                            Can you check on that? My suggestion how to deal with the matter will depend on the position....
                            15-06-2021, 16:26 PM
                          • Reply to My Buyer's solicitor won't accept co-freeholder's ID1
                            by Lawcruncher
                            Let's review this.

What is involved here is a half-share in the freehold of two flats. Whatever its value, it is going to be insignificant in comparison with the value of the leasehold interest.

The other freeholder is not giving anything way. The transfer is no more than an...
                            15-06-2021, 16:17 PM
                          Working...
                          X