My Buyer's solicitor won't accept co-freeholder's ID1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It might be a back covering exercise. I bought some unregistered land, seller's solicitor wasn't happy about it and made it clear he thought I should use a solicitor and if there was was any problem registering it post completion he wouldn't help at all. There was no problem with it, I think they just don't trust someone who isn't one of 'them'. Just make sure you don't agree to pay your solicitor for anything beyond the bit in blue.

Comment

Originally posted by The Expert View Post
      Hi vongole83, a Solicitors undertaking to deal with any requisitions the land registry may raise in connection with the Freehold TR1, is more than sufficient. Additional fees in dealing with any potential requisitions, are unjustified. Tell your agents to pay for this by way of a deduction to the commission they charge you. Be stern, and say you will pull out otherwise. Trust me, they will pay it. Your Solicitor sounds like he won't back down and needs the extra income.
      Thank you. After speaking to my solicitor again, the buyer's solicitor will not back down on this so this is my only option now, other than paying it myself.

Comment

Good Luck!

Comment

Thank you for your help everyone.
          After a lot of discussion, the agent still refused to pay the costs, or even any portion of them, even as we made it clear we would not proceed with the sale... So in the interest of getting on with our lives, I have agreed to pay this on the condition that 1) There can be no increase in cost over the quoted and 2) The agent passes my thoughts on this whole sorry matter on to my buyer and his solicitor. Sounds stupid I know, but no other way to get any sort of 'justice' in this scenario.

Comment

You can always ask your buyer to contribute 50% of the costs...before committing to paying 100%

Comment

Let's review this.

What is involved here is a half-share in the freehold of two flats. Whatever its value, it is going to be insignificant in comparison with the value of the leasehold interest.

The other freeholder is not giving anything way. The transfer is no more than an appointment of new trustees which it is entirely appropriate she should execute. She would expect the OP to do the same thing if she was selling. Since her share in the freehold will be preserved she has no interest to be protected on which she needs advice. As advised above, the Land Registry will only be interested in ensuring that her identity has been established.

Apart from the above, the buyer's solicitor has not thought this through. He is concerned that the other freeholder gets advice, but is apparently content to allow the OP's solicitor to give it when, if he considers the other freeholder needs advice, he should see a conflict of interest.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X