outline on deed has next door's extension in it only noticed after I bought property

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

outline on deed has next door's extension in it only noticed after I bought property

I've got a problem similar to Farmerfam.

I bought a midterraced 2up 2 down with just a backyard leading onto a back alley. The red outlined area appeared to be the same as the physical area. However, next door have built a small extension with their bathroom on the back on their property which is actually within my outlined area. They have also built a kitchen with a small bedroom above and a small hall that joins the two parts of the extension. So be clear - it's an extension with the bathroom part on in my area and the two storey kitchen and bedroom on their part. I didn't notice this at first as it wasn't obvious. I They know they're on my area but we haven't done anything about it. Their extension might have been there for 12 or more years. Both properties are tenanted.

Without the bathroom being in my yard they would have to put the bathroom in the bedroom above their kitchen because their yard is tiny and couldn't have the new bathroom in it.

I pay ground rent of £1 a year. I could buy the lease for around £750.

When I come to sell the property (or sale is due on my death) I would have to declare the discrepancy. How do you think this would work out?

Should I do something now? If so, what ?

Buy the freehold, sell them the land in question that they have encroached on, and get the deeds altered at their cost?

That should tidy things up and avoid any future problems when you come to sell.

Comment

Originally posted by nukecad View Post
      Buy the freehold, sell them the land in question that they have encroached on, and get the deeds altered at their cost?

That should tidy things up and avoid any future problems when you come to sell.
      I am afraid it will not.

The neighbour is in adverse possession of leasehold property and, subject to complying with all the necessary conditions, is now effectively the tenant of that part of Berlingogirl's property which he occupies. If Berlingogirl buys the freehold it will be subject to the neighbour's tenancy of that part.

The problem here is really the neighbour's and not Berlingogirl's. There may be some devil in the detail, but it looks like there is no way Berlingogirl is going to be able to claim back the part encroached on. I certainly would not recommend pursuing a claim.

Comment

I spoke to the company I pay the ground rent to and they say they don't have a record of which bits of yard belong to which property. I've only got the red outline on the land reg plan.

What happens should I decide to sell the house?

Should I be charging rent to the landlord of the property with the extension on my land?

How should this problem be legally solved?

Comment

If you don't mind losing the land you could buy the freehold and just have the boundaries redrawn. It means giving up that bit of land but it may be better than legal fisticuffs that could prove expensive.

Comment

The freehold is £750 but the ground rent is only £1 a year. My back yard is quite a good size for the area, but next door's is tiny, so I don't need the extra space, but next door do. I don't want to give the area away. Next door on the other side has also legally, taken a small slice of my yard but this is outlined on the plan.

Comment

Before I respond further, can you confirm how significant the encroachment is, please? A plan would be good.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Exchange and Completion on the same day
                by jjsmi7h
                Hi,

We had found a chain free property in December and agreed a price, got mortgage offers approved so on by the beginning of Feb this year. However, we suddenly learnt in Feb that the seller is not actually chain free and he was looking to by as well. Although not very happy, we...
                13-06-2021, 10:50 AM
              • Reply to Exchange and Completion on the same day
                by jjsmi7h
                so, we can tell them that we are happy to compensate their losses & efforts of preparing for moving (up to say 1.5K) in case we fail to complete our sale on a specific date. This can give some confidence to the others in the chain. I am not sure how this can be legally formalized. It will be probably...
                14-06-2021, 09:04 AM
                by The Expert
                Indeed, however I always advise to select a company that does not require a non refundable deposit. This is why it is imperative that completion take place as early as possible on the day of completion and certainly before the removals start loading their vans. Hence, sending funds the night before...
                14-06-2021, 08:41 AM
                by jjsmi7h
                thanks, I will talk to him.

One of the challenges here is to convince the people of the chain to arrange moving companies so on. Understandably, they worry that in case we change our mind in last minute then they end up with cancellation fees so on. Any idea what we can propose them to...
                14-06-2021, 08:30 AM
                by The Expert
                Hi jjsmi7h, yes of course, your solicitor can send the funds the evening before completion day, in fact it is possible to send funds to the top of the chain, but all depends on your solicitor. Ask your Solicitor to request a completion statement from your vendors Solicitor so he knows exactly how much...
                14-06-2021, 08:20 AM
                by jjsmi7h
                Hi The Expert,

It seems your proposed solution might work. So, is it really possible to send the full funds earlier - the night before ? not sure if my solicitor will accept it?

Kape65 - the issue with 28th of June completion is that in case someone in the chain not...
                14-06-2021, 06:57 AM
                by Kape65
                Am I missing something here? Can you not exchange tomorrow (14th) and complete on the 28th?
                13-06-2021, 20:32 PM
                by The Expert
                Hi jjsmi7h, it sounds to me like a classic situation when no chain becomes a chain (suddenly out of the blue). You should not be harassed by any party, the communication should be with your Solicitor and the other parties in the chain and your Solicitor should be keeping you updated. Assuming there...
                13-06-2021, 18:49 PM
              • Reply to No sublet clause on lease
                by Maz1982
                It sounded absolute when the conveyancer read it to me and made it clear a deed of variation would be the only option...
                12-06-2021, 11:48 AM
              • No sublet clause on lease
                by Maz1982
                Hi all,

I'm in the process of selling my leasehold flat. We were almost at the exchange stage and the freeholder has emailed our conyencer to let them no we have a no sublet clause in the lease. We were unaware of this at the time and the person looking to buy the flat is buying to rent....
                11-06-2021, 14:42 PM
              Working...
              X