Make alterations to property and/or Rent it before completion

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Make alterations to property and/or Rent it before completion

    Is it possible to make minor alrterations to a property and/or rent it from a vendor, during the Conveyancing process ?

    I am looking to buy a C3 Semi and convert to C4 Small HMO, and secure the C4 PD, before an artkcle 4 is introduced - the date of which may occur towards the end of the conveyancing process.

    I understand an LDC is lawful upon date of application, and as long as conversion is started/begun/initiated, which would ideally be soon after lockout agreements were signed, the C4 should be gained.

    Alterations would involve fitting a few fire doors, although not even sure that would need to be done, as long as the FD's were bought, carpenters booked etc.that would demostate intention. I understand the HMO license application could also be started, which would also help prove intention.

    I would be willing to give a respectable cash deposit, and provide a lockout agreement between myself and the vendor.

    Have you exchanged contracts?


      Hi, this is theoretical, so no contacts would have been exchanged, I would want the ability to initiate some of the changes required to be abe to claim the C4 rights.


        No sensible vendor will allow a purchaser into occupation before exchange of contacts. Once contracts are exchanged, if the vendor agrees, the purchaser can be allowed access for any purpose, though It would usually be restricted to decorating, laying carpets, carrying out minor repairs and the like. A purchaser can also, if the vendor agrees, be allowed into occupation paying interest on the balance of purchase money.

        The above was not that unusal in the days when there was almost always 28 days between exchange and completion. These days however the period between exchange and completion is usually much shorter, often with exchange and completion taking place on the same day. Do not be surprised if the vendor says that if you want early access you need to complete.


          Thank you for your points, appreciated

          So a property under offer and conveyancing really needs to get to exchange before anything can be done, either occupying or things such as simple decorating.


            It's a risk to both parties before exchange. You can spend money only to find the vendor pulls out.


            Latest Activity


            • Purchase of freehold
              by Drewcole
              Hi All,

              I own a 2 bed ground floor flat in a converted Victorian house (2 flats in total) that i have a long lease of 167yrs. I currently pay a ground rent of £160, a service charge of £400 and a insurance premium of £800!

              I have spoken to the owner of the flat above and...
              10-08-2020, 15:16 PM
            • Reply to Purchase of freehold
              by Drewcole
              Hi, I thought it was a little high considering its two flat with a tiny hallway shared that hasn't been maintained since I've owned.

              I guess I can only try, if I do nothing then I'm letting them get away with over charging on the insurance. £1500 for insurance for the two flats seems...
              11-08-2020, 11:40 AM
            • Buying house with sitting tenant
              by carolem
              Residential house for sale with tenant holding over. AST for 6 months granted by letting agents of current owner in November 2019. Since it expired tenant been holding over and paying rent etc. As a potential purchaser who wants to buy it as investment with tenant in situ are there any issues for me...
              07-08-2020, 13:20 PM
            • Reply to Buying house with sitting tenant
              by Gordon999
              Yes, you should arrange for new AST rental agreement because the last one is in the previous owner's name and no longer valid. You have no legal right to hold the tenants deposit without AST agreement. .
              11-08-2020, 10:37 AM
            • Reply to Purchase of freehold
              by Gordon999
              If you find alternative companies are quoting much lower insurance premium, you can ask the current broker to declare how much commission has been paid and then you consider making application to FTT for judgement on the reasonable cost of the buildings insurance. ,

              I think your current...
              11-08-2020, 09:17 AM
            • Reply to Purchase of freehold
              by Drewcole
              Thanks for the replies, so I've had a quick look online to. See how long the lease is on the other flat, she seems to have about 63yrs remaining so the cost to try a purchase the freehold myself is a no go.

              I will write and request the insurance info and try and go down that route. Is there...
              11-08-2020, 07:12 AM
            • Reply to Purchase of freehold
              by Gordon999
              It requires both flats in a building with 2 flats ) to participate in compulsory freehold purchase. See last sentence in section 2 in the free guide.


              If the buildings insurance is £800 per flat, you are probably...
              10-08-2020, 18:00 PM
            • Reply to Purchase of freehold
              by Anna1985
              I would check how long is downstairs lease.
              and then would run the estimated costs freehold on lease calculator.
              And go from there.
              10-08-2020, 17:52 PM
            • Documentation for renovations on share of freehold flat
              by Basecamp
              We are a first floor flat, share of freehold with the ground floor flat. We both have a 999 year lease. In 2014 we did a loft conversion. We had a party wall agreement with the other share of freeholder flat, planning permission and it has all been signed off by building control. However, should we...
              06-08-2020, 10:45 AM
            • Reply to Documentation for renovations on share of freehold flat
              by Basecamp
              Thank you for your responses. We will consult w lawyer to have the Deed updated with the new floor plan....
              08-08-2020, 09:16 AM