Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Management company and insurance Q's - Buy to Let

Hi all,

Just had an offer accepted on my first B2L - a flat in a conversion comprising of 4 flats - and immediately have some questions I wanted to sound out, before I start paying out for solicitors etc.

The seller has told me there is no management company, which raises two concerns with me:

- How are works/repairs agreed/payed for/what if one party refuses to pay etc - I have asked this question and waiting for a response...
    - How is buildings insurance arranged if there is no management company, hence no management fee? The response to this was 'Each flat has their own building insurance and with the last buyer we had agreed on an indemnity policy to provide further cover incase of other polices not being up to standard or lapsing.'

Firstly, does the above re: the indemnity policy sound like a usual way to do things if a building does not have overall buildings insurance? It concerns me as I have never heard or this, but perhaps it's not unusual?

Secondly, is it usual for there to be no management company in place, and, pending his response to queries about works/repairs, what other issues may this cause?

Thanks!

There will always be a freeholder who was the named Lessor when the leases of each flat were created.
    There will not always be a management company if the freeholder retains control of his own property.

I would have thought that knowing who the owner is can be ascertained from the register of title for the freehold estate unless the freehold estate remains unregistered.

A register of title for the freehold, if it is registered, can be purchased for £3 using the Land Registry web-site to search for the address of the property.
    There could be a total of four titles, with one freehold title and four leasehold titles having separate title numbers.

Comment

Thanks for coming back on this. I have been trying to download the freeholder info from the land registry for a few days without success, but will get this as soon as I'm able to.

I'm a little unclear as to how this would relate to point 2 in my original post - if a ground floor flat fire destroyed my flat, and they had no insurance, how could I guarantee I wouldn't be left high and dry? There is no service charge, so no fund in place for buildings insurance. Thanks

Comment

Often there will be no management company and the freeholder or lessees will manage building, but you need one policy to cover the whole buildings.

Individual (buildings) cover for each flat is a disaster waiting to not be covered!
        What does the lease say about it all ?

Comment

Originally posted by Section20z View Post
          Often there will be no management company and the freeholder or lessees will manage building, but you need one policy to cover the whole buildings.

Individual (buildings) cover for each flat is a disaster waiting to not be covered!
          What does the lease say about it all ?
          Thanks - this is very much how I feel! I've yet to see the lease (I am chasing), but have been told the following;

"The lease does not have fixed guidelines on communal works, just clauses to say that all of the property owners will share the costs of any major works equally. Where work has been performed we have been able to get agreement from all parties and just split the cost without any issues. The lease is clear that everyone has to pay equally.

There is no sinking fund in place that I am aware of. The solicitors organised the imdemity policies between them last time (referring to the previous sale, which fell though), I know that it covered items such as lack of insurance for both the landlord and the other tenants"

So there's the suggestion that the indemnity policy will cover the fact that there is no single buildings insurance, but not knowing a huge amount about buildings insurance, especially in this situation, I don't feel confident about this.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Purchase of freehold
            by Drewcole
            Hi, I thought it was a little high considering its two flat with a tiny hallway shared that hasn't been maintained since I've owned.

I guess I can only try, if I do nothing then I'm letting them get away with over charging on the insurance. £1500 for insurance for the two flats seems...
            11-08-2020, 11:40 AM
          • Purchase of freehold
            by Drewcole
            Hi All,

I own a 2 bed ground floor flat in a converted Victorian house (2 flats in total) that i have a long lease of 167yrs. I currently pay a ground rent of £160, a service charge of £400 and a insurance premium of £800!

I have spoken to the owner of the flat above and...
            10-08-2020, 15:16 PM
          • Reply to Buying house with sitting tenant
            by Gordon999
            Yes, you should arrange for new AST rental agreement because the last one is in the previous owner's name and no longer valid. You have no legal right to hold the tenants deposit without AST agreement. .
            11-08-2020, 10:37 AM
          • Buying house with sitting tenant
            by carolem
            Residential house for sale with tenant holding over. AST for 6 months granted by letting agents of current owner in November 2019. Since it expired tenant been holding over and paying rent etc. As a potential purchaser who wants to buy it as investment with tenant in situ are there any issues for me...
            07-08-2020, 13:20 PM
            by Gordon999
            If you find alternative companies are quoting much lower insurance premium, you can ask the current broker to declare how much commission has been paid and then you consider making application to FTT for judgement on the reasonable cost of the buildings insurance. ,

I think your current...
            11-08-2020, 09:17 AM
            by Drewcole
            Thanks for the replies, so I've had a quick look online to. See how long the lease is on the other flat, she seems to have about 63yrs remaining so the cost to try a purchase the freehold myself is a no go.

I will write and request the insurance info and try and go down that route. Is there...
            11-08-2020, 07:12 AM
            by Gordon999
            It requires both flats in a building with 2 flats ) to participate in compulsory freehold purchase. See last sentence in section 2 in the free guide.

https://www.lease-advice.org/advice-...tting-started/

If the buildings insurance is £800 per flat, you are probably...
            10-08-2020, 18:00 PM
            by Anna1985
            I would check how long is downstairs lease.
            and then would run the estimated costs freehold on lease calculator.
            And go from there.
            10-08-2020, 17:52 PM
          • Documentation for renovations on share of freehold flat
            by Basecamp
            We are a first floor flat, share of freehold with the ground floor flat. We both have a 999 year lease. In 2014 we did a loft conversion. We had a party wall agreement with the other share of freeholder flat, planning permission and it has all been signed off by building control. However, should we...
            06-08-2020, 10:45 AM
          • Reply to Documentation for renovations on share of freehold flat
            by Basecamp
            Thank you for your responses. We will consult w lawyer to have the Deed updated with the new floor plan....
            08-08-2020, 09:16 AM
          Working...
          X