Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fence stipulations in title deeds

Hi,

we have just inherited the house. Chatting to the neighbours next door, who are tenants they explained the fence between our properties fell down in Feb 2020. They have raised it with their landlord who refused to build a new fence, stating that the fence didnt belong to them.

Having now looked at the title deeds of the neighbours house, it is stipulated

"The following are details of the covenants contained in the Conveyance dated 10 October 1896 referred to in the Charges Register:-
    COVENANT by Purchaser to observe perform and comply with all said stipulations STIPULATIONS relating or applicable to the hereditaments secondly above described

1. FENCES The Purchaser is to maintain good and sufficient fences on
    the North and West sides of the piece of land "

The fence that has fallen down is the North side of the neighbours property, so the southside of our property.

I have pointed this out to the landlord, but they got rather abusive, and said they didnt build the fence originally and werent going to build a new one.

Question, is legal recourse now my next step.. both the tenants and myself want a new fence put up, and the broken parts of the fence that have been left hanging to be taken down.

BTW, I messaged the council, as the fence that remains up is badly damaged, and reported as a heath and safety issue (young children use the garden), they agreed and sent a letter to the landlord, but the landlord just said it wasn't their fence. When I pointed out to the council, what it states in the landlords title, they just refused to followup with the landlord, and said they had sent 1 letter and that is all they were supposed to do!

The problem you face is that a positive covenant to repair and maintain a fence is a private contractual agreement between the two parties named in the original conveyance dated 1896.

Only a restrictive covenant runs with the land to bind subsequent owners, such as one that says the buyer and subsequent owners cannot do something on the land such as build on it. It has to be a Negative covenant, not to do something.

The current situation is that no one can compel the current owner of the neighbouring house to erect a new fence.

If you want to separate your garden from next door's garden you will have to arrange to do that yourself.

There is definitely no legal redress to the current situation.

Comment

Agree with Pilman.

For further information see this thread I started on Garden Law: https://www.gardenlaw.co.uk/phpBB2/v...php?f=6&t=1727

Comment

Thanks for the helpful responses! I’ll check the subsequent owners in the deeds to see if something is mentioned there... and I’ll check the garden law link

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Ground Rent Different In Lease
          by Ocelot69
          Hi all,

I am in the process of buying a new build apartment that I have not yet exchanged on. Upon receiving a draft copy of the lease from my conveyancer, I have discovered that the ground rent is now double what I was initially quoted. I have the original emails from before the purchase...
          21-09-2020, 10:47 AM
        • Reply to Ground Rent Different In Lease
          by AndrewDod
          As with any other transaction. If you can prove what they told you, and you actually read a different lease before (you seem to be buying a lease so why would you pay anything before you had seen it) then withdraw/or negotiate a lower price for the property. If they refuse and refuse to return your...
          21-09-2020, 12:00 PM
        • Adverse Possession and Letting
          by chimkennuggers123
          Im currently in adverse possession of some scrub land that is adjoined to my property, and have incorporated it into my garden & park on it etc. If i let my property out, will MY adverse possession continue via the tenants?

Thanks in advance.
          18-09-2020, 08:37 AM
        • Reply to Adverse Possession and Letting
          by chimkennuggers123
          Worth noting too that I do plan to put fencing up. The area I've cut out for myself is part of a much larger area. It's currently isolated from everyone else by fencing and man made hedges and brambles etc. I do plan to lawn it and run a path through etc. Currently only in 2 years of adverse so another...
          19-09-2020, 09:39 AM
          by chimkennuggers123
          Thanks for your reply Lawcruncher. Sorry, to clarify: the land was wasteland with brambles growing up etc. My shed is now on the land along with my bins and a washing line. I also park my vehicle here too. Hope that helps.
          19-09-2020, 09:30 AM
          by Lawcruncher
          The short answer is yes. The slightly longer answer is that it will not be your adverse possession, but if a tenant takes up adverse possession of land adjoining that of his landlord he does so on behalf of the landlord.

You describe the land in question as "scrub land" which...
          18-09-2020, 17:09 PM
          by chimkennuggers123
          Hi, thanks for your reply.

Land is registered. Essentially a left over piece of scrub. Good to know that letting shouldnt stop the adverse possession.
          18-09-2020, 16:52 PM
        • Stamp Duty Holiday and Convey Law
          by markandebony
          I own one property in the UK. We are purchasing a second property for 45,000 pounds. I understand that if I buy this in my name I don't qualify for the stamp duty holiday. So we are purchasing in my wife name as this is her first UK property purchase. Although still not a UK resident we understand that...
          14-09-2020, 01:10 AM
        • Reply to Stamp Duty Holiday and Convey Law
          by pilman
          £1,350 Stamp Duty Land Tax would be payable since this is a rental property, not a sole residence for either you or your wife, unless you are about to be divorced and she wants to come and live in this low cost house or flat you intend to buy for her to live in.
          18-09-2020, 15:00 PM
          by pilman
          Do you know if this additional parcel of land is registered or unregistered?

Land Registration Act 2002 made changes to how an application to be registered as owner of a possessory title is now dealt with.

Adverse possession will continue if there are tenants in the property,...
          18-09-2020, 14:47 PM
        Working...
        X