Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

passage way access payment - unregistered land

Hi, we have just inherited a house, and within the title deeds it states:

"The land has the benefit of a right of way over the passageway leading from the back into XXX Road subject to the payment of a due proportion of the expense of maintenance and repair."

Chatting to the neighbours we know, they have stated that they haven't paid a fee and that the passageway isn't maintained at all, but the passageway is fairly usable to access the garage at the back for everyone.

I am going to ask the land registry who owns the land, but I believe it maybe unregistered, as the original conveyance of the land in the title was 10th October 1896.

Question, if the land is unregistered a few of the neighbours and myself are thinking of purchasing the land (if possible) and then charging an annual fee to everyone circa 15 houses to help maintain the passageway. Does anyone see any concerns with that?

We thought it was a way to protect ourselves for any issues in the future and that passageway remains well maintained.

I'm not sure that would work. Whilst the user has to contribute to actual repair I don't think you can impose a charge just in case you need it in the future. If anyone chooses not to pay an annual fee I don't think you can either enforce it or stop their access. As you don't know who owns it who will you buy it from?

Comment

"The land has the benefit of a right of way over the passageway leading from the back into XXX Road subject to the payment of a due proportion of the expense of maintenance and repair."

The above is often seen, but in practice is of little practical assistance as it does not say to whom payment is to be made or how the due proportion is to be calculated. Such clauses were put in by or insisted on by conveyancers who thought they worked.

If the land is unregistered and the first conveyance was back in 1896 the chances of finding the current owner are fairly remote. Should you be lucky enough to find an owner willing to sell, your project is, I have to say, something of a non-starter. There will be no obligation on any of the owners to pay; even if there was, some will inevitably decline to pay.

There must be thousands of passageways up and down the land which no one looks after but which are perfectly adequate for occasional use. The best you can do if repairs really are needed is to call a meeting of neighbours.

Comment

Just to clarify how the Common Law deals with the maintenance of a private right of way.

Neither the owner of the passageway, nor the owners of the dominant tenements that have a right of way over it can be compelled to maintain it.

Anyone with a right of way can maintain it, but that would be at their own expense.

That would mean that despite not owning the legal estate in the passageway, (i.e. The Freehold) the legal interest over the passageway that each uses has, (i.e. The Easement granting a Right of Way) would permit you and any other of the neighbours prepared to pay for a repair to go ahead and make the surface fit for purpose.

Forget about trying to buy the passageway.

Instead you need to get the neighbours to agree to maintain it voluntarily, or at least get some of them to contribute to having some attention given to the current state of the passageway to allow some repairs to take place.

Comment

thanks for the helpful replies. I'll bring it up with the neighbours the best way forward is for us all to have the passageway resurfaced and split the costs between us all.

Comment

the best way forward is for us all to have the passageway resurfaced and split the costs between us all.
            Agreed it will be the best way forward, so good luck with getting a 100% agreement with the neighbours.

Even if some of them agree that may still be an effective way of getting the resurfacing done even it means each of the "volunteers" will have to pay slightly more than if everyone contributed.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Ground Rent Different In Lease
              by Ocelot69
              Hi all,

I am in the process of buying a new build apartment that I have not yet exchanged on. Upon receiving a draft copy of the lease from my conveyancer, I have discovered that the ground rent is now double what I was initially quoted. I have the original emails from before the purchase...
              21-09-2020, 10:47 AM
            • Reply to Ground Rent Different In Lease
              by AndrewDod
              As with any other transaction. If you can prove what they told you, and you actually read a different lease before (you seem to be buying a lease so why would you pay anything before you had seen it) then withdraw/or negotiate a lower price for the property. If they refuse and refuse to return your...
              21-09-2020, 12:00 PM
            • Adverse Possession and Letting
              by chimkennuggers123
              Im currently in adverse possession of some scrub land that is adjoined to my property, and have incorporated it into my garden & park on it etc. If i let my property out, will MY adverse possession continue via the tenants?

Thanks in advance.
              18-09-2020, 08:37 AM
            • Reply to Adverse Possession and Letting
              by chimkennuggers123
              Worth noting too that I do plan to put fencing up. The area I've cut out for myself is part of a much larger area. It's currently isolated from everyone else by fencing and man made hedges and brambles etc. I do plan to lawn it and run a path through etc. Currently only in 2 years of adverse so another...
              19-09-2020, 09:39 AM
              by chimkennuggers123
              Thanks for your reply Lawcruncher. Sorry, to clarify: the land was wasteland with brambles growing up etc. My shed is now on the land along with my bins and a washing line. I also park my vehicle here too. Hope that helps.
              19-09-2020, 09:30 AM
              by Lawcruncher
              The short answer is yes. The slightly longer answer is that it will not be your adverse possession, but if a tenant takes up adverse possession of land adjoining that of his landlord he does so on behalf of the landlord.

You describe the land in question as "scrub land" which...
              18-09-2020, 17:09 PM
              by chimkennuggers123
              Hi, thanks for your reply.

Land is registered. Essentially a left over piece of scrub. Good to know that letting shouldnt stop the adverse possession.
              18-09-2020, 16:52 PM
            • Stamp Duty Holiday and Convey Law
              by markandebony
              I own one property in the UK. We are purchasing a second property for 45,000 pounds. I understand that if I buy this in my name I don't qualify for the stamp duty holiday. So we are purchasing in my wife name as this is her first UK property purchase. Although still not a UK resident we understand that...
              14-09-2020, 01:10 AM
            • Reply to Stamp Duty Holiday and Convey Law
              by pilman
              £1,350 Stamp Duty Land Tax would be payable since this is a rental property, not a sole residence for either you or your wife, unless you are about to be divorced and she wants to come and live in this low cost house or flat you intend to buy for her to live in.
              18-09-2020, 15:00 PM
              by pilman
              Do you know if this additional parcel of land is registered or unregistered?

Land Registration Act 2002 made changes to how an application to be registered as owner of a possessory title is now dealt with.

Adverse possession will continue if there are tenants in the property,...
              18-09-2020, 14:47 PM
            Working...
            X