Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

passage way access payment - unregistered land

Hi, we have just inherited a house, and within the title deeds it states:

"The land has the benefit of a right of way over the passageway leading from the back into XXX Road subject to the payment of a due proportion of the expense of maintenance and repair."

Chatting to the neighbours we know, they have stated that they haven't paid a fee and that the passageway isn't maintained at all, but the passageway is fairly usable to access the garage at the back for everyone.

I am going to ask the land registry who owns the land, but I believe it maybe unregistered, as the original conveyance of the land in the title was 10th October 1896.

Question, if the land is unregistered a few of the neighbours and myself are thinking of purchasing the land (if possible) and then charging an annual fee to everyone circa 15 houses to help maintain the passageway. Does anyone see any concerns with that?

We thought it was a way to protect ourselves for any issues in the future and that passageway remains well maintained.

I'm not sure that would work. Whilst the user has to contribute to actual repair I don't think you can impose a charge just in case you need it in the future. If anyone chooses not to pay an annual fee I don't think you can either enforce it or stop their access. As you don't know who owns it who will you buy it from?

Comment

"The land has the benefit of a right of way over the passageway leading from the back into XXX Road subject to the payment of a due proportion of the expense of maintenance and repair."

The above is often seen, but in practice is of little practical assistance as it does not say to whom payment is to be made or how the due proportion is to be calculated. Such clauses were put in by or insisted on by conveyancers who thought they worked.

If the land is unregistered and the first conveyance was back in 1896 the chances of finding the current owner are fairly remote. Should you be lucky enough to find an owner willing to sell, your project is, I have to say, something of a non-starter. There will be no obligation on any of the owners to pay; even if there was, some will inevitably decline to pay.

There must be thousands of passageways up and down the land which no one looks after but which are perfectly adequate for occasional use. The best you can do if repairs really are needed is to call a meeting of neighbours.

Comment

Just to clarify how the Common Law deals with the maintenance of a private right of way.

Neither the owner of the passageway, nor the owners of the dominant tenements that have a right of way over it can be compelled to maintain it.

Anyone with a right of way can maintain it, but that would be at their own expense.

That would mean that despite not owning the legal estate in the passageway, (i.e. The Freehold) the legal interest over the passageway that each uses has, (i.e. The Easement granting a Right of Way) would permit you and any other of the neighbours prepared to pay for a repair to go ahead and make the surface fit for purpose.

Forget about trying to buy the passageway.

Instead you need to get the neighbours to agree to maintain it voluntarily, or at least get some of them to contribute to having some attention given to the current state of the passageway to allow some repairs to take place.

Comment

thanks for the helpful replies. I'll bring it up with the neighbours the best way forward is for us all to have the passageway resurfaced and split the costs between us all.

Comment

the best way forward is for us all to have the passageway resurfaced and split the costs between us all.
            Agreed it will be the best way forward, so good luck with getting a 100% agreement with the neighbours.

Even if some of them agree that may still be an effective way of getting the resurfacing done even it means each of the "volunteers" will have to pay slightly more than if everyone contributed.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Purchase of freehold
              by Drewcole
              Hi All,

I own a 2 bed ground floor flat in a converted Victorian house (2 flats in total) that i have a long lease of 167yrs. I currently pay a ground rent of £160, a service charge of £400 and a insurance premium of £800!

I have spoken to the owner of the flat above and...
              10-08-2020, 15:16 PM
            • Reply to Purchase of freehold
              by Drewcole
              Hi, I thought it was a little high considering its two flat with a tiny hallway shared that hasn't been maintained since I've owned.

I guess I can only try, if I do nothing then I'm letting them get away with over charging on the insurance. £1500 for insurance for the two flats seems...
              11-08-2020, 11:40 AM
            • Buying house with sitting tenant
              by carolem
              Residential house for sale with tenant holding over. AST for 6 months granted by letting agents of current owner in November 2019. Since it expired tenant been holding over and paying rent etc. As a potential purchaser who wants to buy it as investment with tenant in situ are there any issues for me...
              07-08-2020, 13:20 PM
            • Reply to Buying house with sitting tenant
              by Gordon999
              Yes, you should arrange for new AST rental agreement because the last one is in the previous owner's name and no longer valid. You have no legal right to hold the tenants deposit without AST agreement. .
              11-08-2020, 10:37 AM
              by Gordon999
              If you find alternative companies are quoting much lower insurance premium, you can ask the current broker to declare how much commission has been paid and then you consider making application to FTT for judgement on the reasonable cost of the buildings insurance. ,

I think your current...
              11-08-2020, 09:17 AM
              by Drewcole
              Thanks for the replies, so I've had a quick look online to. See how long the lease is on the other flat, she seems to have about 63yrs remaining so the cost to try a purchase the freehold myself is a no go.

I will write and request the insurance info and try and go down that route. Is there...
              11-08-2020, 07:12 AM
              by Gordon999
              It requires both flats in a building with 2 flats ) to participate in compulsory freehold purchase. See last sentence in section 2 in the free guide.

https://www.lease-advice.org/advice-...tting-started/

If the buildings insurance is £800 per flat, you are probably...
              10-08-2020, 18:00 PM
              by Anna1985
              I would check how long is downstairs lease.
              and then would run the estimated costs freehold on lease calculator.
              And go from there.
              10-08-2020, 17:52 PM
            • Documentation for renovations on share of freehold flat
              by Basecamp
              We are a first floor flat, share of freehold with the ground floor flat. We both have a 999 year lease. In 2014 we did a loft conversion. We had a party wall agreement with the other share of freeholder flat, planning permission and it has all been signed off by building control. However, should we...
              06-08-2020, 10:45 AM
            • Reply to Documentation for renovations on share of freehold flat
              by Basecamp
              Thank you for your responses. We will consult w lawyer to have the Deed updated with the new floor plan....
              08-08-2020, 09:16 AM
            Working...
            X