Boundary between 2 properties and new fence.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boundary between 2 properties and new fence.

Hi,

I have semi detached garage with my neighbour, see picture attached.

According to a recent party wall agreement, (2 years old), the virtual red line runs in the middle of the common garage wall as I would expect. At the back of the garage where the new fence will be erected there is a brick wall around 2m long which is clearly on the side of my neighbour, ie not running from the middle of the common garage wall. The garage wall is 10cm wide so 5cm will be the middle where i would expect the red boundary line to be. After this 2m long wall we have a very large garden where my neighbour wants to erect the fence (his responsibility). My neighbour is arguing that the boundary is wrong and he wants to take the 2m wall down and bring the fence into my side, actually he things that 8.8cm of the garage wall belongs to him and only 1.2cm is mine = total 8.8 +1.2 = 10cm. Won't even try to explain why 8.8 for him. There is also a single brick support pillar at the end of the 2m long wall, 10cm wide.

He is basically refusing to back down threatening that he will not erect the fence otherwise. What are my options here. I understand that if a brick wall exists for more than 10 years it is evidence and admission that that part is mine anyway and also he can not take it down without a party wall agreement in place. I am basically happy to give him few centimetres to build the fence but not 8.8, 1.2cm to his favour. I am not happy for him to destroy the wall, he has already removed some bricks!

The deeds also show the red line in the middle of the 2 garages, but it's hard to have an accuracy of few cms to be fair.

I have attached a pic (not to scale) that explains the situation and. Where do you think the boundary of the new fence should be and what are my rights regarding the brick wall?

Thanks very much for any advice.
    Attached Files

If your neighbour is erecting HIS fence then it goes on HIS side.

If a mesne fence is to be erected and jointly paid for then it goes on the centre line.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Change of property layout
      by Anna1985
      Hi, acquiring a freehold and would like to carry out bathroom alteration - replace current cabinet in the bathroom with the door opening into the hall as it was originally.
      it would involve a lease alteration and re-drawing the property plan.

I take it it would be best to do it along...
      12-07-2020, 10:16 AM
    • Reply to Change of property layout
      by AndrewDod
      Is this a flat? What do you mean by "acquiring a freehold"?
      12-07-2020, 20:43 PM
      by Anna1985
      A bit difficult to explain, basically next to the bathroom there was an airing cabinet, which was removed and the stud wall was put in the previous door opening. With the cabinet door made to open into the bathroom.

I want to remove it and re create the original airing cabinet with the...
      12-07-2020, 17:15 PM
      by pilman
      If you are contemplating an act which would require the door of the bathroom to be re-hung so that it opened outward rather than inwards, that does not seem to require any action at all as per the lease, or the freehold.

Use of the word "cabinet " is confusing since most "bathroom...
      12-07-2020, 14:12 PM
    • Incorporating Adjacent Land into Curtilage
      by StuStew
      As discussed in a recent thread, I am looking at the possibility of purchasing a very small piece of land (approx. 0.02 acres) adjacent to our property.

My intention is to incorporate this land into our curtilage. It 'fits naturally' into our existing boundary and is not agricultural land....
      08-07-2020, 20:00 PM
    • Reply to Incorporating Adjacent Land into Curtilage
      by StuStew
      The land is currently not being used at all. It was used by a local stonemason up until the 1970s or 1980s, and has what I would describe as a semi-derelict (walls OK, roof caved in) stonemason's workshop (about 15 m^2 in size) on it. The workshop is surrounded by grass and overgrown shrubs etc which...
      12-07-2020, 11:12 AM
      by pilman
      Nothing to stop you, but the local planning authority could begin enforcement proceedings claiming that there had been a breach of planning control, which often happens if a neighbour contacts the LPA to complain about the way you have developed the land by changing its use.

Using any land...
      12-07-2020, 00:05 AM
      by StuStew
      Many thanks for your help Pilman.

Out of interest, if permission for a change of use was refused, what is to stop me putting a fence/wall along the edge of the land and using it like a garden, at least in the context of making it look nice and planting flowers, etc? One side of the land...
      11-07-2020, 18:29 PM
    • Reply to Make alterations to property and/or Rent it before completion
      by royw
      It's a risk to both parties before exchange. You can spend money only to find the vendor pulls out.
      11-07-2020, 18:17 PM
    • Make alterations to property and/or Rent it before completion
      by bob369
      Is it possible to make minor alrterations to a property and/or rent it from a vendor, during the Conveyancing process ?

I am looking to buy a C3 Semi and convert to C4 Small HMO, and secure the C4 PD, before an artkcle 4 is introduced - the date of which may occur towards the end of the...
      09-07-2020, 21:01 PM
    Working...
    X