Access - where do we stand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Access - where do we stand?

Not a conveyancing question but seems to be the most appropriate forum.
    40 years ago FIL made a verbal agreement with the neighbour so he could use a corner of our field to widen their gateway in return for access to our field further down their private road. We have maintained access ever since. Although you can get to farmhouse this way you'd need a 4WD. OH has since inherited the farm and the neighbours are planning to move. I don't think they will agree to getting it sorted out properly.
    Where do we stand?

You seem to be trying to describe an equitable easement if I understand your slightly confusing posting correctly.

In return for creating a wider gateway using your land the neighbour granted a right of way over a private road to access your field.

The gate remains and you want to know if the right of way will continue to exist even when the neighbours move away.

Is that correct?

Comment

Yes. I'd like to know if either party can enforce their benefit or if either can remove it. Whoever buys it is likely to try to stop our access as there's nothing in the deeds. I have a horrible feeling theirs may be more enforceable than ours.

Comment

I agree with Pilman that this has all the hallmarks of an equitable easement. Such a right can be protected (in the case of registered land) by a unilateral notice and (in the case of unregistered land) by a class D(iii) land charge. However, in your case the right to register may have been lost since the person with whom the arrangement was made is no longer involved. It would be different if his successor has continued with the arrangement.

Comment

Originally posted by royw View Post
          I have a horrible feeling theirs may be more enforceable than ours.
          Based on the information you have given us, that seems unlikely. As always though, in this sort of case the devil can be in the detail.

Comment

It may also be a situation whereby each party has the benefit that cannot be disturbed due to estoppel.

40 years has passed during which time the parties have not disputed each of the rights, so it should not be possible now for one land-owner to object to the use the other land-owner is making of the respective parcels of land in separate ownership.

Comment

Lawcruncher,

The neighbour is the original neighbour. Our farm passed by inheritance from parent to offspring five years ago, currently owned by OH. The arrangement on both sides has been maintained for the last 40 years. Would OH be able to register it? Both properties are registered on LR.
              Off to read up about unilateral notices.

Comment

Would OH be able to register it?

Yes, given your clarification.

You can read about unilateral notices here: https://www.gov.uk/government/public...n-the-register

Comment

Thanks Lawcruncher. An agreed notice would be my preferred option if it's viable, that way there isn't the threat of the neighbour or subsequent owner withdrawing it in the future when it might be harder to establish the validity of the claim. In the absence of a written agreement would statements from neighbours who have witnessed our use of the access be sufficient to establish the validity of the claim?

Comment

pilman,

That's nice to know. My main concern is that the new owner's won't know about the agreement and will try to stop our access, then no doubt an expensive legal case for us to try to prove we do. Getting it sorted out now would be much better for us but there's no incentive for current neighbour to do so.

Comment

Start using it more frequently, so that if they have viewings, people will see it being used and not question it.

Comment

Originally posted by royw View Post
                        In the absence of a written agreement would statements from neighbours who have witnessed our use of the access be sufficient to establish the validity of the claim?
                        They will help, but may not be sufficient on their own.

Comment

Originally posted by pilman View Post
                          40 years has passed during which time the parties have not disputed each of the rights, so it should not be possible now for one land-owner to object to the use the other land-owner is making of the respective parcels of land in separate ownership.
                          Since permission was given prescription cannot apply.

Comment

Since permission was given prescription cannot apply.
                            But doesn't estoppel apply, since each party has taken the benefit of the equitable easements each granted verbally?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Change of property layout
                              by Anna1985
                              Hi, acquiring a freehold and would like to carry out bathroom alteration - replace current cabinet in the bathroom with the door opening into the hall as it was originally.
                              it would involve a lease alteration and re-drawing the property plan.

I take it it would be best to do it along...
                              12-07-2020, 10:16 AM
                            • Reply to Change of property layout
                              by AndrewDod
                              Is this a flat? What do you mean by "acquiring a freehold"?
                              12-07-2020, 20:43 PM
                              by Anna1985
                              A bit difficult to explain, basically next to the bathroom there was an airing cabinet, which was removed and the stud wall was put in the previous door opening. With the cabinet door made to open into the bathroom.

I want to remove it and re create the original airing cabinet with the...
                              12-07-2020, 17:15 PM
                              by pilman
                              If you are contemplating an act which would require the door of the bathroom to be re-hung so that it opened outward rather than inwards, that does not seem to require any action at all as per the lease, or the freehold.

Use of the word "cabinet " is confusing since most "bathroom...
                              12-07-2020, 14:12 PM
                            • Reply to Incorporating Adjacent Land into Curtilage
                              by StuStew
                              The land is currently not being used at all. It was used by a local stonemason up until the 1970s or 1980s, and has what I would describe as a semi-derelict (walls OK, roof caved in) stonemason's workshop (about 15 m^2 in size) on it. The workshop is surrounded by grass and overgrown shrubs etc which...
                              12-07-2020, 11:12 AM
                            • Incorporating Adjacent Land into Curtilage
                              by StuStew
                              As discussed in a recent thread, I am looking at the possibility of purchasing a very small piece of land (approx. 0.02 acres) adjacent to our property.

My intention is to incorporate this land into our curtilage. It 'fits naturally' into our existing boundary and is not agricultural land....
                              08-07-2020, 20:00 PM
                              by pilman
                              Nothing to stop you, but the local planning authority could begin enforcement proceedings claiming that there had been a breach of planning control, which often happens if a neighbour contacts the LPA to complain about the way you have developed the land by changing its use.

Using any land...
                              12-07-2020, 00:05 AM
                              by StuStew
                              Many thanks for your help Pilman.

Out of interest, if permission for a change of use was refused, what is to stop me putting a fence/wall along the edge of the land and using it like a garden, at least in the context of making it look nice and planting flowers, etc? One side of the land...
                              11-07-2020, 18:29 PM
                            • Make alterations to property and/or Rent it before completion
                              by bob369
                              Is it possible to make minor alrterations to a property and/or rent it from a vendor, during the Conveyancing process ?

I am looking to buy a C3 Semi and convert to C4 Small HMO, and secure the C4 PD, before an artkcle 4 is introduced - the date of which may occur towards the end of the...
                              09-07-2020, 21:01 PM
                            • Reply to Make alterations to property and/or Rent it before completion
                              by royw
                              It's a risk to both parties before exchange. You can spend money only to find the vendor pulls out.
                              11-07-2020, 18:17 PM
                            Working...
                            X