Access - where do we stand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Access - where do we stand?

Not a conveyancing question but seems to be the most appropriate forum.
    40 years ago FIL made a verbal agreement with the neighbour so he could use a corner of our field to widen their gateway in return for access to our field further down their private road. We have maintained access ever since. Although you can get to farmhouse this way you'd need a 4WD. OH has since inherited the farm and the neighbours are planning to move. I don't think they will agree to getting it sorted out properly.
    Where do we stand?

You seem to be trying to describe an equitable easement if I understand your slightly confusing posting correctly.

In return for creating a wider gateway using your land the neighbour granted a right of way over a private road to access your field.

The gate remains and you want to know if the right of way will continue to exist even when the neighbours move away.

Is that correct?

Comment

Yes. I'd like to know if either party can enforce their benefit or if either can remove it. Whoever buys it is likely to try to stop our access as there's nothing in the deeds. I have a horrible feeling theirs may be more enforceable than ours.

Comment

I agree with Pilman that this has all the hallmarks of an equitable easement. Such a right can be protected (in the case of registered land) by a unilateral notice and (in the case of unregistered land) by a class D(iii) land charge. However, in your case the right to register may have been lost since the person with whom the arrangement was made is no longer involved. It would be different if his successor has continued with the arrangement.

Comment

Originally posted by royw View Post
          I have a horrible feeling theirs may be more enforceable than ours.
          Based on the information you have given us, that seems unlikely. As always though, in this sort of case the devil can be in the detail.

Comment

It may also be a situation whereby each party has the benefit that cannot be disturbed due to estoppel.

40 years has passed during which time the parties have not disputed each of the rights, so it should not be possible now for one land-owner to object to the use the other land-owner is making of the respective parcels of land in separate ownership.

Comment

Lawcruncher,

The neighbour is the original neighbour. Our farm passed by inheritance from parent to offspring five years ago, currently owned by OH. The arrangement on both sides has been maintained for the last 40 years. Would OH be able to register it? Both properties are registered on LR.
              Off to read up about unilateral notices.

Comment

Would OH be able to register it?

Yes, given your clarification.

You can read about unilateral notices here: https://www.gov.uk/government/public...n-the-register

Comment

Thanks Lawcruncher. An agreed notice would be my preferred option if it's viable, that way there isn't the threat of the neighbour or subsequent owner withdrawing it in the future when it might be harder to establish the validity of the claim. In the absence of a written agreement would statements from neighbours who have witnessed our use of the access be sufficient to establish the validity of the claim?

Comment

pilman,

That's nice to know. My main concern is that the new owner's won't know about the agreement and will try to stop our access, then no doubt an expensive legal case for us to try to prove we do. Getting it sorted out now would be much better for us but there's no incentive for current neighbour to do so.

Comment

Start using it more frequently, so that if they have viewings, people will see it being used and not question it.

Comment

Originally posted by royw View Post
                        In the absence of a written agreement would statements from neighbours who have witnessed our use of the access be sufficient to establish the validity of the claim?
                        They will help, but may not be sufficient on their own.

Comment

Originally posted by pilman View Post
                          40 years has passed during which time the parties have not disputed each of the rights, so it should not be possible now for one land-owner to object to the use the other land-owner is making of the respective parcels of land in separate ownership.
                          Since permission was given prescription cannot apply.

Comment

Since permission was given prescription cannot apply.
                            But doesn't estoppel apply, since each party has taken the benefit of the equitable easements each granted verbally?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Purchase of freehold
                              by Drewcole
                              Hi, I thought it was a little high considering its two flat with a tiny hallway shared that hasn't been maintained since I've owned.

I guess I can only try, if I do nothing then I'm letting them get away with over charging on the insurance. £1500 for insurance for the two flats seems...
                              11-08-2020, 11:40 AM
                            • Purchase of freehold
                              by Drewcole
                              Hi All,

I own a 2 bed ground floor flat in a converted Victorian house (2 flats in total) that i have a long lease of 167yrs. I currently pay a ground rent of £160, a service charge of £400 and a insurance premium of £800!

I have spoken to the owner of the flat above and...
                              10-08-2020, 15:16 PM
                            • Reply to Buying house with sitting tenant
                              by Gordon999
                              Yes, you should arrange for new AST rental agreement because the last one is in the previous owner's name and no longer valid. You have no legal right to hold the tenants deposit without AST agreement. .
                              11-08-2020, 10:37 AM
                            • Buying house with sitting tenant
                              by carolem
                              Residential house for sale with tenant holding over. AST for 6 months granted by letting agents of current owner in November 2019. Since it expired tenant been holding over and paying rent etc. As a potential purchaser who wants to buy it as investment with tenant in situ are there any issues for me...
                              07-08-2020, 13:20 PM
                              by Gordon999
                              If you find alternative companies are quoting much lower insurance premium, you can ask the current broker to declare how much commission has been paid and then you consider making application to FTT for judgement on the reasonable cost of the buildings insurance. ,

I think your current...
                              11-08-2020, 09:17 AM
                              by Drewcole
                              Thanks for the replies, so I've had a quick look online to. See how long the lease is on the other flat, she seems to have about 63yrs remaining so the cost to try a purchase the freehold myself is a no go.

I will write and request the insurance info and try and go down that route. Is there...
                              11-08-2020, 07:12 AM
                              by Gordon999
                              It requires both flats in a building with 2 flats ) to participate in compulsory freehold purchase. See last sentence in section 2 in the free guide.

https://www.lease-advice.org/advice-...tting-started/

If the buildings insurance is £800 per flat, you are probably...
                              10-08-2020, 18:00 PM
                              by Anna1985
                              I would check how long is downstairs lease.
                              and then would run the estimated costs freehold on lease calculator.
                              And go from there.
                              10-08-2020, 17:52 PM
                            • Documentation for renovations on share of freehold flat
                              by Basecamp
                              We are a first floor flat, share of freehold with the ground floor flat. We both have a 999 year lease. In 2014 we did a loft conversion. We had a party wall agreement with the other share of freeholder flat, planning permission and it has all been signed off by building control. However, should we...
                              06-08-2020, 10:45 AM
                            • Reply to Documentation for renovations on share of freehold flat
                              by Basecamp
                              Thank you for your responses. We will consult w lawyer to have the Deed updated with the new floor plan....
                              08-08-2020, 09:16 AM
                            Working...
                            X