Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

right of way and multiple exit/extry points

Hi All,

I wonder if anyone can give me an opinion on a right of way query . Basically, I would like to know if the Grantee (number 2) has rights to multiple entry points along the right of way or if a single point of entry is sufficient for the legal right. For instance, on the diagram below, owners of number 2 access via the road up the drive and access their land via the red point. They have indicated they possibly would like an in-out driveway for convenience at the blue point. So, can this be refused by myself as owner of number 1 as they already have right of way via the red entry point? Otherwise what stops them creating another entry access point later on? Crude diagram attached Thanks in advance.

Attached Files

the driveway is on my plot, number 2 have a drive parallel after the red entry point to the end of their property.

Comment

If the driveway is privately owned between proprietors it would be difficult to stop the creation of an additional access unless there was unanimous agreement to object.

Comment

No I own the drive, theyhave right of way

Comment

Just to be clear the road is the part with the arrow , my driveway is the part with the markings on.

Comment

Without seeing the wording used when the right of way was granted it would be unrealistic to offer an answer to the question being asked.

A plan may have shown the length of drive that was to be used as a right of way, so it would need to be known how far up the drive was shown to be part of a right of way.

If the plan showed the right of way went the entire length of the drive then there would be a strong probability that the new access could be created to allow all of the right of way to be used by the servient property.

Comment

Yes it is the full length. So whats stops the servient property from having 5 or 6 points of access just because they want to?

Comment

Nothing, if the wording used when the right of was granted allows that to happen. Unless there is a boundary feature that belongs to you that cannot be interfered with. If the hedge or fence is owned by the servient tenement then access from any point on the right of way should be possible.
                Your only right is that use of the right of way does not create a substantial obstruction to your use of your property.

Comment

We prevented access from our private road because there was a grass verge between the road and their property which they had no right to cross.

Comment

Can you post the redacted wording

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Change of property layout
                      by Anna1985
                      Hi, acquiring a freehold and would like to carry out bathroom alteration - replace current cabinet in the bathroom with the door opening into the hall as it was originally.
                      it would involve a lease alteration and re-drawing the property plan.

I take it it would be best to do it along...
                      12-07-2020, 10:16 AM
                    • Reply to Change of property layout
                      by AndrewDod
                      Is this a flat? What do you mean by "acquiring a freehold"?
                      12-07-2020, 20:43 PM
                      by Anna1985
                      A bit difficult to explain, basically next to the bathroom there was an airing cabinet, which was removed and the stud wall was put in the previous door opening. With the cabinet door made to open into the bathroom.

I want to remove it and re create the original airing cabinet with the...
                      12-07-2020, 17:15 PM
                      by pilman
                      If you are contemplating an act which would require the door of the bathroom to be re-hung so that it opened outward rather than inwards, that does not seem to require any action at all as per the lease, or the freehold.

Use of the word "cabinet " is confusing since most "bathroom...
                      12-07-2020, 14:12 PM
                    • Reply to Incorporating Adjacent Land into Curtilage
                      by StuStew
                      The land is currently not being used at all. It was used by a local stonemason up until the 1970s or 1980s, and has what I would describe as a semi-derelict (walls OK, roof caved in) stonemason's workshop (about 15 m^2 in size) on it. The workshop is surrounded by grass and overgrown shrubs etc which...
                      12-07-2020, 11:12 AM
                    • Incorporating Adjacent Land into Curtilage
                      by StuStew
                      As discussed in a recent thread, I am looking at the possibility of purchasing a very small piece of land (approx. 0.02 acres) adjacent to our property.

My intention is to incorporate this land into our curtilage. It 'fits naturally' into our existing boundary and is not agricultural land....
                      08-07-2020, 20:00 PM
                      by pilman
                      Nothing to stop you, but the local planning authority could begin enforcement proceedings claiming that there had been a breach of planning control, which often happens if a neighbour contacts the LPA to complain about the way you have developed the land by changing its use.

Using any land...
                      12-07-2020, 00:05 AM
                      by StuStew
                      Many thanks for your help Pilman.

Out of interest, if permission for a change of use was refused, what is to stop me putting a fence/wall along the edge of the land and using it like a garden, at least in the context of making it look nice and planting flowers, etc? One side of the land...
                      11-07-2020, 18:29 PM
                    • Reply to Make alterations to property and/or Rent it before completion
                      by royw
                      It's a risk to both parties before exchange. You can spend money only to find the vendor pulls out.
                      11-07-2020, 18:17 PM
                    • Make alterations to property and/or Rent it before completion
                      by bob369
                      Is it possible to make minor alrterations to a property and/or rent it from a vendor, during the Conveyancing process ?

I am looking to buy a C3 Semi and convert to C4 Small HMO, and secure the C4 PD, before an artkcle 4 is introduced - the date of which may occur towards the end of the...
                      09-07-2020, 21:01 PM
                    Working...
                    X