X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do we both own my parking spot?

Hi there,

In the middle of purchasing a property.

Mine is 16a, as shown on the first image. The small red area at the rear is my car parking spot.

The second image is the land boundary showing the freehold of the property next door (number 16). It appears we both own my parking spot? Is this correct?

I wondered if this might be what the covenant referred to in the Charges Register (see image 2) denotes, but I don't think so (apologies-I'm a FTB in the UK and I am still getting to grips with the jargon of covenants or how to interpret them).

Any insight would be much appreciated.
    Attached Files

Looks like your designated parking area is No 16a. If car parking No 16a falls outwith the whole boundary then your conveyancer must deal with this before you agree to buy. The Charges Section has nothing to do with boundaries.

Comment

Hi Sheena,

Thanks for answering. I'm not sure I understand what you mean-no 16a is the house and the designated parking for it appears to be in the freehold owned by number 16.

Thank you so much for confirming the Charges section is never about boundaries. It sounds stupid that I don't know this, but it can be difficult interpreting these documents.

Comment

Is the second plan the Land Registy plan of no.16 or some other plan?

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
          Is the second plan the Land Registy plan of no.16 or some other plan?
          Hi Lawcruncher,

It is the Land Registry plan for no.16-I bought it for 3 quid.

Comment

Are you buying the freehold of 16a?

Is the first plan the Land Registry plan? If it is, I am mystifed why "1 to 6" is upside down. Also the numbering on both plans does not look like standard Ordance Survey numbering.

Ignoring red edging, there also seems to be only a limited correlation between the two plans.

Comment

The title plan for 16A shows that there is no front or rear garden but there is a separate rectangle of land you refer to as a parking space.
              That may be because this is a Leasehold estate of a flat, since there is no mention of whether you are buying a freehold or leasehold property.

Comment

Originally posted by pilman View Post
                The title plan for 16A shows that there is no front or rear garden but there is a separate rectangle of land you refer to as a parking space.
                That may be because this is a Leasehold estate of a flat, since there is no mention of whether you are buying a freehold or leasehold property.
                The car parking space will be demised in your lease, freehold title is irrelevant.

Comment

One other matter that seems to be required if buying 16A is that there will need to be a right of way granted to access the parking space.

Again that is suggestive that this is a leasehold property that you are buying, with the owner of 16 being the person who originally leased the flat, provided a parking space and granted a right of way over his freehold estate which included the building now identified as 16A.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Change of property layout
                    by Anna1985
                    Hi, acquiring a freehold and would like to carry out bathroom alteration - replace current cabinet in the bathroom with the door opening into the hall as it was originally.
                    it would involve a lease alteration and re-drawing the property plan.

I take it it would be best to do it along...
                    12-07-2020, 10:16 AM
                  • Reply to Change of property layout
                    by AndrewDod
                    Is this a flat? What do you mean by "acquiring a freehold"?
                    12-07-2020, 20:43 PM
                    by Anna1985
                    A bit difficult to explain, basically next to the bathroom there was an airing cabinet, which was removed and the stud wall was put in the previous door opening. With the cabinet door made to open into the bathroom.

I want to remove it and re create the original airing cabinet with the...
                    12-07-2020, 17:15 PM
                    by pilman
                    If you are contemplating an act which would require the door of the bathroom to be re-hung so that it opened outward rather than inwards, that does not seem to require any action at all as per the lease, or the freehold.

Use of the word "cabinet " is confusing since most "bathroom...
                    12-07-2020, 14:12 PM
                  • Reply to Incorporating Adjacent Land into Curtilage
                    by StuStew
                    The land is currently not being used at all. It was used by a local stonemason up until the 1970s or 1980s, and has what I would describe as a semi-derelict (walls OK, roof caved in) stonemason's workshop (about 15 m^2 in size) on it. The workshop is surrounded by grass and overgrown shrubs etc which...
                    12-07-2020, 11:12 AM
                  • Incorporating Adjacent Land into Curtilage
                    by StuStew
                    As discussed in a recent thread, I am looking at the possibility of purchasing a very small piece of land (approx. 0.02 acres) adjacent to our property.

My intention is to incorporate this land into our curtilage. It 'fits naturally' into our existing boundary and is not agricultural land....
                    08-07-2020, 20:00 PM
                    by pilman
                    Nothing to stop you, but the local planning authority could begin enforcement proceedings claiming that there had been a breach of planning control, which often happens if a neighbour contacts the LPA to complain about the way you have developed the land by changing its use.

Using any land...
                    12-07-2020, 00:05 AM
                    by StuStew
                    Many thanks for your help Pilman.

Out of interest, if permission for a change of use was refused, what is to stop me putting a fence/wall along the edge of the land and using it like a garden, at least in the context of making it look nice and planting flowers, etc? One side of the land...
                    11-07-2020, 18:29 PM
                  • Make alterations to property and/or Rent it before completion
                    by bob369
                    Is it possible to make minor alrterations to a property and/or rent it from a vendor, during the Conveyancing process ?

I am looking to buy a C3 Semi and convert to C4 Small HMO, and secure the C4 PD, before an artkcle 4 is introduced - the date of which may occur towards the end of the...
                    09-07-2020, 21:01 PM
                  • Reply to Make alterations to property and/or Rent it before completion
                    by royw
                    It's a risk to both parties before exchange. You can spend money only to find the vendor pulls out.
                    11-07-2020, 18:17 PM
                  Working...
                  X