Newly completed property issue with state of property

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newly completed property issue with state of property

Hi a friend has completed on his first home today, and found out last night someone went in and ripped the copper piping out and messed the boiler and electrics etc up. Insurance have said they won’t pay out and its about 8-10k damage to fix.

His solicitor says he shouldve checked the property the day before completion so it's his fault, thats the state of the property he purchased.

He viewed the week prior to completion and all was fine.

My thoughts were the property should be in the standard that was agreed, again I assume a condition report was done through the conveyancing process.

Does anyone know the legal position here? If anything can be done and what I could advise him?

Presumably the house wasn't his when the damage was done. I'm assuming the damage was before completion.

I'd be jumping up and down on the seller's/builders desk demanding they get it fixed.

Presuming the insurance was in place before completion (always best to insure at exchange of contracts) why won't the insurer take the claim?

Comment

It is up to purchaser to insure property from exchange of contracts

Comment

If you were not advised to insure the property from exchange you may have a negligence claim against your conveyancer.

Comment

Make a complaint to Trading Standards . The builder is responsible before the date of completion and can claim the repair against the builder's insurance. .

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Management company and insurance Q's - Buy to Let
            by NottsLL
            Hi all,

Just had an offer accepted on my first B2L - a flat in a conversion comprising of 4 flats - and immediately have some questions I wanted to sound out, before I start paying out for solicitors etc.

The seller has told me there is no management company, which raises two...
            08-07-2020, 20:21 PM
          • Reply to Management company and insurance Q's - Buy to Let
            by Section20z
            Often there will be no management company and the freeholder or lessees will manage building, but you need one policy to cover the whole buildings.

Individual (buildings) cover for each flat is a disaster waiting to not be covered!
            What does the lease say about it all ?...
            09-07-2020, 18:03 PM
            by NottsLL
            Thanks for coming back on this. I have been trying to download the freeholder info from the land registry for a few days without success, but will get this as soon as I'm able to.

I'm a little unclear as to how this would relate to point 2 in my original post - if a ground floor flat...
            09-07-2020, 17:53 PM
          • Buying a house with BOTH Freehold and Leasehold titles?
            by trusaiyan
            Hi
            I wonder if you can help with some advice.

My relative is purchasing a property which we were told is 'definitely freehold'. He claims he purchased the freehold a few years ago.

However, we have now discovered this is not fully true and while he did purchase the...
            09-07-2020, 14:51 PM
          • Incorporating Adjacent Land into Curtilage
            by StuStew
            As discussed in a recent thread, I am looking at the possibility of purchasing a very small piece of land (approx. 0.02 acres) adjacent to our property.

My intention is to incorporate this land into our curtilage. It 'fits naturally' into our existing boundary and is not agricultural land....
            08-07-2020, 20:00 PM
          • Reply to Incorporating Adjacent Land into Curtilage
            by StuStew
            Thanks Pilman.

Our only desire is to erect a fence/wall along the edge of the land (flush with the wall that lies along our current boundary). We do not wish to build anything else on the land.

Yes this is correct. So the red edging of our deeds would not be modified?...
            09-07-2020, 13:07 PM
            by pilman
            There will always be a freeholder who was the named Lessor when the leases of each flat were created.
            There will not always be a management company if the freeholder retains control of his own property.

I would have thought that knowing who the owner is can be ascertained from the...
            09-07-2020, 12:55 PM
            by pilman
            The word "curtilage" has a been the subject of a great many legal cases which have defined this as an area of land immediately adjacent to a building.

What you are referring to is a change of use of land to be used as part of a residential garden, because this land will never...
            09-07-2020, 12:38 PM
            by StuStew
            Thank you Lawcruncher.

As mentioned, if the sale was to include the grass strip, we would not be applying to have the strip included in our curtilage; as you mention, this is likely to be problematic. This is what I meant by chopping the land up; the grass strip is excluded from our curtilage...
            09-07-2020, 11:45 AM
            by Lawcruncher
            "Grass strips" can be a bit of a problem. Even if you can show title to them the Land Registry may still exclude them from the red edging on the title plan. That is not conclusive that the strip is not part of the adjoining property as the red edging only shows the general boundary.
            09-07-2020, 08:43 AM
          Working...
          X