Newly completed property issue with state of property

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newly completed property issue with state of property

Hi a friend has completed on his first home today, and found out last night someone went in and ripped the copper piping out and messed the boiler and electrics etc up. Insurance have said they won’t pay out and its about 8-10k damage to fix.

His solicitor says he shouldve checked the property the day before completion so it's his fault, thats the state of the property he purchased.

He viewed the week prior to completion and all was fine.

My thoughts were the property should be in the standard that was agreed, again I assume a condition report was done through the conveyancing process.

Does anyone know the legal position here? If anything can be done and what I could advise him?

Presumably the house wasn't his when the damage was done. I'm assuming the damage was before completion.

I'd be jumping up and down on the seller's/builders desk demanding they get it fixed.

Presuming the insurance was in place before completion (always best to insure at exchange of contracts) why won't the insurer take the claim?

Comment

It is up to purchaser to insure property from exchange of contracts

Comment

If you were not advised to insure the property from exchange you may have a negligence claim against your conveyancer.

Comment

Make a complaint to Trading Standards . The builder is responsible before the date of completion and can claim the repair against the builder's insurance. .

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X