Field problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Field problem

We have a semi rural house which is part of a Hamlet once all owned by my wife’s Nanna and Grandad.
    My wife had used part of this land for 25 years (Her brother had it for 15 years previous to her) to house her animals with a verbal agreement that she could use it until she gave up keeping her animals and this verbal agreement has lasted for 2 generations and now the 3rd generation has inherited the land and want to sell it-we have offered to buy it but they want it to go with the house (which is next door to ours).
    We wondered if there is anything we can do?
    We have fenced and maintained the land the whole time and no rental money has been paid.

As permission was given for the use, an adverse possession claim would be ruled out.

Comment

Only a thought, but could you possibly stretch - perhaps with help from other family members? - to buying the house next door AND the field? Then you could resell the house, but keep the field.

Only thing, the price 'might' go up....there is the element of a 'marriage value' in the house/field for you, as in it is worth more to you, personally, than it would be to 'anyone else'.

You might want to get a valuation from an estate agent as to how much the neighbour's house on its own (without the field that you keep) would be worth, as this will affect whether you come out a loss or break even etc. Is there any value you could add to the house relatively cost-effectively, so you could flip it??

Also, maybe you might want to check whether the vendor is hoping that PP could be granted for the field, which would put up its value - and be far more of a problem to you, were it to be owned by someone else who then builds on it, detracting from he amenity of your own house?

On the other hand, yet again, there is another post here on the site about a woman who is facing huge problems trying to get rid of her niece's horses on her field, and the niece won't cooperate, and has fenced off the field to deny access etc etc - all in all recovery of the field is proving not easy for the poster. You, with your animals on the field, might be in the niece's position, and actually getting rid of your animals could be problematic??

If your animals are 'sitting tenants' effectively, then any controversy/non-cooperation from you might make it harder for the guy next door to see both house and field together? So you might have some 'leverage' in the matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon66 View Post
        As permission was given for the use, an adverse possession claim would be ruled out.
        Does permission have to be written or does verbal count?

Comment

Verbal permission counts.

Comment

I don't think there's anything you can do if you can't negotiate. The value lost from their house will be put onto yours if you bought it so the figures might stack up even if it appears you're paying too much for it. Think very carefully before you refuse to remove your livestock, it's very easy for someone to turn them into dead stock.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon66 View Post
              As a general proposition that is correct. However, what we have here is a situation where at the start the owner A gave permission to X and the current position is that the owner is B and the occupier Y. The question therefore arises whether the original permission lapsed on the first change (whether of ownership or occupation) and, if it did, whether any new permission was given or is deemed to have been given. What is needed therefore is an investigation of how ownership and occupation correlate, whether permission was renewed and whether the current occupier can demonstrate the necessary intention to possess.

The full facts need to be laid before a lawyer with the necessary expertise who may recommend taking counsel's opinion. A possible way forward, unless the opinion sought is that the case is hopeless, is to submit an application to be registered as proprietor of the land in the hope that it will encourage the owner to negotiate.

Comment

You are in occupation. Presumably if they want to sell they would have to serve you with Notice To Quit. It sounds like that as no rent was ever paid, could you argue that you were given the land. Is the land registered with eth Land Registry. With a small plot of land you could join the Small Farmers Association and get free legal advice.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Who owns the road ?
                  by Always Problems
                  I am buying a house which is at the end of a Private Road and I am trying to find out who owns the road outside the house.
                  It is a Cul-de-sac, the Private Road terminates just past the house.
                  The person who is selling the house bought it new in 1991 and has lived in it ever since.
                  13-07-2020, 17:16 PM
                • Change of property layout
                  by Anna1985
                  Hi, acquiring a freehold and would like to carry out bathroom alteration - replace current cabinet in the bathroom with the door opening into the hall as it was originally.
                  it would involve a lease alteration and re-drawing the property plan.

I take it it would be best to do it along...
                  12-07-2020, 10:16 AM
                • Reply to Change of property layout
                  by Anna1985
                  Yes a flat, buying a freehold off current freeholder so would become a co-freeholder.
                  13-07-2020, 10:59 AM
                • Management company and insurance Q's - Buy to Let
                  by NottsLL
                  Hi all,

Just had an offer accepted on my first B2L - a flat in a conversion comprising of 4 flats - and immediately have some questions I wanted to sound out, before I start paying out for solicitors etc.

The seller has told me there is no management company, which raises two...
                  08-07-2020, 20:21 PM
                • Reply to Management company and insurance Q's - Buy to Let
                  by NottsLL
                  Thanks - this is very much how I feel! I've yet to see the lease (I am chasing), but have been told the following;

"The lease does not have fixed guidelines on communal works, just clauses to say that all of the property owners will share the costs of any major works equally. Where...
                  13-07-2020, 10:27 AM
                  by AndrewDod
                  Is this a flat? What do you mean by "acquiring a freehold"?
                  12-07-2020, 20:43 PM
                  by Anna1985
                  A bit difficult to explain, basically next to the bathroom there was an airing cabinet, which was removed and the stud wall was put in the previous door opening. With the cabinet door made to open into the bathroom.

I want to remove it and re create the original airing cabinet with the...
                  12-07-2020, 17:15 PM
                  by pilman
                  If you are contemplating an act which would require the door of the bathroom to be re-hung so that it opened outward rather than inwards, that does not seem to require any action at all as per the lease, or the freehold.

Use of the word "cabinet " is confusing since most "bathroom...
                  12-07-2020, 14:12 PM
                • Reply to Incorporating Adjacent Land into Curtilage
                  by StuStew
                  The land is currently not being used at all. It was used by a local stonemason up until the 1970s or 1980s, and has what I would describe as a semi-derelict (walls OK, roof caved in) stonemason's workshop (about 15 m^2 in size) on it. The workshop is surrounded by grass and overgrown shrubs etc which...
                  12-07-2020, 11:12 AM
                • Incorporating Adjacent Land into Curtilage
                  by StuStew
                  As discussed in a recent thread, I am looking at the possibility of purchasing a very small piece of land (approx. 0.02 acres) adjacent to our property.

My intention is to incorporate this land into our curtilage. It 'fits naturally' into our existing boundary and is not agricultural land....
                  08-07-2020, 20:00 PM
                Working...
                X