Field problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Field problem

We have a semi rural house which is part of a Hamlet once all owned by my wife’s Nanna and Grandad.
    My wife had used part of this land for 25 years (Her brother had it for 15 years previous to her) to house her animals with a verbal agreement that she could use it until she gave up keeping her animals and this verbal agreement has lasted for 2 generations and now the 3rd generation has inherited the land and want to sell it-we have offered to buy it but they want it to go with the house (which is next door to ours).
    We wondered if there is anything we can do?
    We have fenced and maintained the land the whole time and no rental money has been paid.

As permission was given for the use, an adverse possession claim would be ruled out.

Comment

Only a thought, but could you possibly stretch - perhaps with help from other family members? - to buying the house next door AND the field? Then you could resell the house, but keep the field.

Only thing, the price 'might' go up....there is the element of a 'marriage value' in the house/field for you, as in it is worth more to you, personally, than it would be to 'anyone else'.

You might want to get a valuation from an estate agent as to how much the neighbour's house on its own (without the field that you keep) would be worth, as this will affect whether you come out a loss or break even etc. Is there any value you could add to the house relatively cost-effectively, so you could flip it??

Also, maybe you might want to check whether the vendor is hoping that PP could be granted for the field, which would put up its value - and be far more of a problem to you, were it to be owned by someone else who then builds on it, detracting from he amenity of your own house?

On the other hand, yet again, there is another post here on the site about a woman who is facing huge problems trying to get rid of her niece's horses on her field, and the niece won't cooperate, and has fenced off the field to deny access etc etc - all in all recovery of the field is proving not easy for the poster. You, with your animals on the field, might be in the niece's position, and actually getting rid of your animals could be problematic??

If your animals are 'sitting tenants' effectively, then any controversy/non-cooperation from you might make it harder for the guy next door to see both house and field together? So you might have some 'leverage' in the matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon66 View Post
        As permission was given for the use, an adverse possession claim would be ruled out.
        Does permission have to be written or does verbal count?

Comment

Verbal permission counts.

Comment

I don't think there's anything you can do if you can't negotiate. The value lost from their house will be put onto yours if you bought it so the figures might stack up even if it appears you're paying too much for it. Think very carefully before you refuse to remove your livestock, it's very easy for someone to turn them into dead stock.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon66 View Post
              As a general proposition that is correct. However, what we have here is a situation where at the start the owner A gave permission to X and the current position is that the owner is B and the occupier Y. The question therefore arises whether the original permission lapsed on the first change (whether of ownership or occupation) and, if it did, whether any new permission was given or is deemed to have been given. What is needed therefore is an investigation of how ownership and occupation correlate, whether permission was renewed and whether the current occupier can demonstrate the necessary intention to possess.

The full facts need to be laid before a lawyer with the necessary expertise who may recommend taking counsel's opinion. A possible way forward, unless the opinion sought is that the case is hopeless, is to submit an application to be registered as proprietor of the land in the hope that it will encourage the owner to negotiate.

Comment

You are in occupation. Presumably if they want to sell they would have to serve you with Notice To Quit. It sounds like that as no rent was ever paid, could you argue that you were given the land. Is the land registered with eth Land Registry. With a small plot of land you could join the Small Farmers Association and get free legal advice.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Management company and insurance Q's - Buy to Let
                  by Section20z
                  Often there will be no management company and the freeholder or lessees will manage building, but you need one policy to cover the whole buildings.

Individual (buildings) cover for each flat is a disaster waiting to not be covered!
                  What does the lease say about it all ?...
                  09-07-2020, 18:03 PM
                • Management company and insurance Q's - Buy to Let
                  by NottsLL
                  Hi all,

Just had an offer accepted on my first B2L - a flat in a conversion comprising of 4 flats - and immediately have some questions I wanted to sound out, before I start paying out for solicitors etc.

The seller has told me there is no management company, which raises two...
                  08-07-2020, 20:21 PM
                  by NottsLL
                  Thanks for coming back on this. I have been trying to download the freeholder info from the land registry for a few days without success, but will get this as soon as I'm able to.

I'm a little unclear as to how this would relate to point 2 in my original post - if a ground floor flat fire...
                  09-07-2020, 17:53 PM
                • Buying a house with BOTH Freehold and Leasehold titles?
                  by trusaiyan
                  Hi
                  I wonder if you can help with some advice.

My relative is purchasing a property which we were told is 'definitely freehold'. He claims he purchased the freehold a few years ago.

However, we have now discovered this is not fully true and while he did purchase the...
                  09-07-2020, 14:51 PM
                • Reply to Incorporating Adjacent Land into Curtilage
                  by StuStew
                  Thanks Pilman.

Our only desire is to erect a fence/wall along the edge of the land (flush with the wall that lies along our current boundary). We do not wish to build anything else on the land.

Yes this is correct. So the red edging of our deeds would not be modified?...
                  09-07-2020, 13:07 PM
                • Incorporating Adjacent Land into Curtilage
                  by StuStew
                  As discussed in a recent thread, I am looking at the possibility of purchasing a very small piece of land (approx. 0.02 acres) adjacent to our property.

My intention is to incorporate this land into our curtilage. It 'fits naturally' into our existing boundary and is not agricultural land....
                  08-07-2020, 20:00 PM
                  by pilman
                  There will always be a freeholder who was the named Lessor when the leases of each flat were created.
                  There will not always be a management company if the freeholder retains control of his own property.

I would have thought that knowing who the owner is can be ascertained from the...
                  09-07-2020, 12:55 PM
                  by pilman
                  The word "curtilage" has a been the subject of a great many legal cases which have defined this as an area of land immediately adjacent to a building.

What you are referring to is a change of use of land to be used as part of a residential garden, because this land will never...
                  09-07-2020, 12:38 PM
                  by StuStew
                  Thank you Lawcruncher.

As mentioned, if the sale was to include the grass strip, we would not be applying to have the strip included in our curtilage; as you mention, this is likely to be problematic. This is what I meant by chopping the land up; the grass strip is excluded from our curtilage...
                  09-07-2020, 11:45 AM
                  by Lawcruncher
                  "Grass strips" can be a bit of a problem. Even if you can show title to them the Land Registry may still exclude them from the red edging on the title plan. That is not conclusive that the strip is not part of the adjoining property as the red edging only shows the general boundary.
                  09-07-2020, 08:43 AM
                Working...
                X