Protected Covenant - should I pursue with Local Authority?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Protected Covenant - should I pursue with Local Authority?

    Hello everyone,

    First time posting here and very appreciative of any advice that can be offered.

    Our house was built in 2001 and we are the 3rd owners, purchasing it with no conveyancing issues in 2011. In 2017, we changed the use of our double garage into a playroom with a bathroom and on the advice of our builder, submitted a permitted development notice to our local authority. In hindsight, I am aware maybe we should have done that before work commenced, but my limited knowledge of building works led me to believe that changing the use of your garage was permitted without notifying your local authority. Not sure if it's worth mentioning but as part of the work, the garage door was removed and windows were installed, and externally they were the only changes. We were also visited several times throughout the works by a planning officer from the LA, and made changes where she felt necessary (e.g. increased thickness of insulation).

    On the very final day of the building work completing (genuinely as well, I couldn't make it up!), we received notice from the council that the permitted development was refused as in the original planning application for the house in 2011, there was a protected covenant stating that the garage must not be changed and must stay as a garage, for the reason that they did not want any additional cars parked on the road as a result of the house being built. So initially, the garage could have housed 1 car, then 1 car on the very short driveway. Now we can only have 1 car on the driveway and obviously none in the garage. In the decline, the LA said we would need to apply for full planning permission.

    At the time we spoke to a solicitor who said should we wish to sell at any time, we could obtain Indemnity insurance to cover any financials should the covenant be enforced and new owners have to change the use of the room back to a garage, but this would need to be 12 months after the works had completed. We had no intention of selling at that point, and a baby due in a few weeks so decided to do nothing.

    Roll forwards to Feb last year, 2 years after the build work completed and we decided to put our house on the market and move. We had a buyer lined up, explained the situation with the change of use of the garage and our solicitor had arranged indemnity insurance, which we were obviously happy to pay for, which covered them entirely - apparently their mortgage provider (HSBC) was also happy with this. However, their solicitor was adamant that it was a risky purchase, and our already nervous buyers (they had inherited a house many years ago but never actually purchased a house), were even more nervous and pulled out. This went on for weeks, was extremely stressful at the time as we were due to exchange on the house we were buying, the chain fell apart and we decided to stay put.

    We are now thinking of potentially marketing our house again in 12 months or so (market dependent!), but really would like to avoid the headache that we had previously. So my question is, should we approach the LA and ask them to review the protected covenant? I really don't want to do this, as I don't want to draw attention to the fact that they said no but the build was already done by that point, but I also want any future purchase to be as smooth sailing as possible. We also don't have any of the building certificates for the works carried out as I was too nervous to request for the planner to come back once the permitted development had been declined (although the request for these never came up from our buyers or their solicitor, so not actually sure if they're needed?). Or should we carry on as we were, be upfront with the agent again, arrange the Indemnity insurance and avoid any attention from the LA? The more I speak to people, the more I hear the insurance policies are very common, and I don't know if we were just unlucky with our buyers but I am aware if we were to ask the LA to review the covenant, this may take time, and also cost £££ so I wanted to make sure we have everything sorted before marketing again.

    Sorry for the long post but wanted to give the full background. If you're still awake after reading all of the above and are able to offer any advice, that would be much appreciated!

    Thank you

    #2
    Just to put the point beyond doubt, when you refer to "protected covenant" do you mean a planning condition imposed by the planning permission granted for the construction of the house?

    Comment


      #3
      Better to convert back to double garage. A bath in the garage is a no-go to mortgage lenders.

      Comment

      Latest Activity

      Collapse

      • Make alterations to property and/or Rent it before completion
        by bob369
        Is it possible to make minor alrterations to a property and/or rent it from a vendor, during the Conveyancing process ?

        I am looking to buy a C3 Semi and convert to C4 Small HMO, and secure the C4 PD, before an artkcle 4 is introduced - the date of which may occur towards the end of the...
        09-07-2020, 21:01 PM
      • Management company and insurance Q's - Buy to Let
        by NottsLL
        Hi all,

        Just had an offer accepted on my first B2L - a flat in a conversion comprising of 4 flats - and immediately have some questions I wanted to sound out, before I start paying out for solicitors etc.

        The seller has told me there is no management company, which raises two...
        08-07-2020, 20:21 PM
      • Reply to Management company and insurance Q's - Buy to Let
        by Section20z
        Often there will be no management company and the freeholder or lessees will manage building, but you need one policy to cover the whole buildings.

        Individual (buildings) cover for each flat is a disaster waiting to not be covered!
        What does the lease say about it all ?...
        09-07-2020, 18:03 PM
      • Reply to Management company and insurance Q's - Buy to Let
        by NottsLL
        Thanks for coming back on this. I have been trying to download the freeholder info from the land registry for a few days without success, but will get this as soon as I'm able to.

        I'm a little unclear as to how this would relate to point 2 in my original post - if a ground floor flat fire...
        09-07-2020, 17:53 PM
      • Buying a house with BOTH Freehold and Leasehold titles?
        by trusaiyan
        Hi
        I wonder if you can help with some advice.

        My relative is purchasing a property which we were told is 'definitely freehold'. He claims he purchased the freehold a few years ago.

        However, we have now discovered this is not fully true and while he did purchase the...
        09-07-2020, 14:51 PM
      • Incorporating Adjacent Land into Curtilage
        by StuStew
        As discussed in a recent thread, I am looking at the possibility of purchasing a very small piece of land (approx. 0.02 acres) adjacent to our property.

        My intention is to incorporate this land into our curtilage. It 'fits naturally' into our existing boundary and is not agricultural land....
        08-07-2020, 20:00 PM
      • Reply to Incorporating Adjacent Land into Curtilage
        by StuStew
        Thanks Pilman.

        Our only desire is to erect a fence/wall along the edge of the land (flush with the wall that lies along our current boundary). We do not wish to build anything else on the land.



        Yes this is correct. So the red edging of our deeds would not be modified?...
        09-07-2020, 13:07 PM
      • Reply to Management company and insurance Q's - Buy to Let
        by pilman
        There will always be a freeholder who was the named Lessor when the leases of each flat were created.
        There will not always be a management company if the freeholder retains control of his own property.

        I would have thought that knowing who the owner is can be ascertained from the...
        09-07-2020, 12:55 PM
      • Reply to Incorporating Adjacent Land into Curtilage
        by pilman
        The word "curtilage" has a been the subject of a great many legal cases which have defined this as an area of land immediately adjacent to a building.

        What you are referring to is a change of use of land to be used as part of a residential garden, because this land will never...
        09-07-2020, 12:38 PM
      • Reply to Incorporating Adjacent Land into Curtilage
        by StuStew
        Thank you Lawcruncher.

        As mentioned, if the sale was to include the grass strip, we would not be applying to have the strip included in our curtilage; as you mention, this is likely to be problematic. This is what I meant by chopping the land up; the grass strip is excluded from our curtilage...
        09-07-2020, 11:45 AM
      Working...
      X