Help with understanding a Land Registry document regarding Adverse Possession

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with understanding a Land Registry document regarding Adverse Possession

My solicitors have forwarded on a land registry document called Application Enquiry. In the Application Progress box it says:

DELAYED
    Requisition issued on (date)
    Warning of Cancellation issued on (date)
    Requisition issued on (date)
    Notice issued on (date)
    Expires on (date)

I think the "warning of cancellation" relates to Land Reg asking my solicitor to resend my declaration. I think the "notice" is the letter the Land Reg sent to the owner of the piece of land in question. I think the "expires on" is the 65 working days the owner of the piece of land had to appeal, but can anyone confirm this for me? What does it actually mean? Is the land now mine? I'm struggling to get an answer from my solicitor.

Yes, notice is the letter(s) that HMLR send to the registered owner who has 65 days.

I guess now is a good time to submit....

Practice direction 4 may assist you and other readers to this topic https://www.gov.uk/government/public...egistered-land

Comment

Without full details it is not possible to comment.

You need to be firm with your solicitor and insist on a response.

Comment

Hello wfd_property - when you say now is a good time to submit, what am I submitting? The solicitor had already applied for the adverse possession, so is there a next step I now need to take? We had done the declaration thing. He had advised that together we would apply for the adverse possession, submit the declaration, the land reg would write to the owner who had the 65 days to appeal, and after that we'd either go to court or not depending on the outcome of the letter to the owner and whether my application was appealed or not...

Thanks ever so much.

Comment

Hello Lawcruncher,

Yes, I've emailed him saying "I am asking you..." He's very difficult to get hold of... Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by EB1 View Post

Hello wfd_property - when you say now is a good time to submit, what am I submitting?
            Sorry. I was just meaning it as a general comment.

Comment

Originally posted by EB1 View Post
              Yes, I've emailed him saying "I am asking you..." He's very difficult to get hold of...
              Whatever the nature of the job, there has to come a point when your solicitor must respond. Your terms of enagagement should set out a complaints procedure; contact the designated person. Failing that, contact the senior partner.

Comment

Thanks ever so much everyone.

Comment

I find the whole concept of adverse possession to be utterly against human property rights! Either ownership gives us perpetual and secure title, or it is not ownership.

AP is like something out of the middle ages - quite appalling.

Hey, let's all go round and nick everyone else's property, shall we?! I want Buck Palace for mine!

Comment

No interest in land is in fact perpetual. The largest estate in land is the fee simple which belongs to the owner and his heirs (to be understood as "and then his heirs"). If you die without heirs the fee simple comes to an end.

Ignoring that technicality, there are two main reasons why the law allows ownership of land to be acquired by adverse possession.

The first is that it is a necessary corrective to the deficiencies of the conveyancing system. Very basically, landowners need to know that they own what they think they have bought and are in possession of. They do not want to dispossessed because the plan on a conveyance is wrong or because someone moved a fence before they bought.

Secondly, land is a finite resource. Land should not go unused because the owner has himself failed to make use of it.The law does allow an owner more than reasonable time to assert his rights. In practice, I suspect that most land claimed by adverse possession is either odd bits left over on an estate or else belongs to someone who is unaware he owns it.

It is also the case generally that anyone in possession of anything is entitled to retain it until someone else can show a better title.There has to come a time when a person knows where he stands and that is why we have the law of limitation.

Comment

Originally posted by Lizbeth View Post
                      I find the whole concept of adverse possession to be utterly against human property rights! Either ownership gives us perpetual and secure title, or it is not ownership.

AP is like something out of the middle ages - quite appalling.

Hey, let's all go round and nick everyone else's property, shall we?! I want Buck Palace for mine!
                      But if property has been forgotten about and isnt being used.....

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Who owns the road ?
                        by Always Problems
                        I am buying a house which is at the end of a Private Road and I am trying to find out who owns the road outside the house.
                        It is a Cul-de-sac, the Private Road terminates just past the house.
                        The person who is selling the house bought it new in 1991 and has lived in it ever since.
                        13-07-2020, 17:16 PM
                      • Reply to Change of property layout
                        by Anna1985
                        Yes a flat, buying a freehold off current freeholder so would become a co-freeholder.
                        13-07-2020, 10:59 AM
                      • Change of property layout
                        by Anna1985
                        Hi, acquiring a freehold and would like to carry out bathroom alteration - replace current cabinet in the bathroom with the door opening into the hall as it was originally.
                        it would involve a lease alteration and re-drawing the property plan.

I take it it would be best to do it along...
                        12-07-2020, 10:16 AM
                      • Management company and insurance Q's - Buy to Let
                        by NottsLL
                        Hi all,

Just had an offer accepted on my first B2L - a flat in a conversion comprising of 4 flats - and immediately have some questions I wanted to sound out, before I start paying out for solicitors etc.

The seller has told me there is no management company, which raises two...
                        08-07-2020, 20:21 PM
                      • Reply to Management company and insurance Q's - Buy to Let
                        by NottsLL
                        Thanks - this is very much how I feel! I've yet to see the lease (I am chasing), but have been told the following;

"The lease does not have fixed guidelines on communal works, just clauses to say that all of the property owners will share the costs of any major works equally. Where...
                        13-07-2020, 10:27 AM
                        by AndrewDod
                        Is this a flat? What do you mean by "acquiring a freehold"?
                        12-07-2020, 20:43 PM
                        by Anna1985
                        A bit difficult to explain, basically next to the bathroom there was an airing cabinet, which was removed and the stud wall was put in the previous door opening. With the cabinet door made to open into the bathroom.

I want to remove it and re create the original airing cabinet with the...
                        12-07-2020, 17:15 PM
                        by pilman
                        If you are contemplating an act which would require the door of the bathroom to be re-hung so that it opened outward rather than inwards, that does not seem to require any action at all as per the lease, or the freehold.

Use of the word "cabinet " is confusing since most "bathroom...
                        12-07-2020, 14:12 PM
                      • Reply to Incorporating Adjacent Land into Curtilage
                        by StuStew
                        The land is currently not being used at all. It was used by a local stonemason up until the 1970s or 1980s, and has what I would describe as a semi-derelict (walls OK, roof caved in) stonemason's workshop (about 15 m^2 in size) on it. The workshop is surrounded by grass and overgrown shrubs etc which...
                        12-07-2020, 11:12 AM
                      • Incorporating Adjacent Land into Curtilage
                        by StuStew
                        As discussed in a recent thread, I am looking at the possibility of purchasing a very small piece of land (approx. 0.02 acres) adjacent to our property.

My intention is to incorporate this land into our curtilage. It 'fits naturally' into our existing boundary and is not agricultural land....
                        08-07-2020, 20:00 PM
                      Working...
                      X