Adverse Posession of Unregistered Land

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    If you do an index map search of a piece of land and it comes back indicating it is not registered there is no need to check the boundaries of adjoining land. It must though be remembered that Land Registry plans of amost all registered land are subject to the general boundaries rule and do not show exact boundaries.


      An application to be registered as the owner with a possessory title when the land in your possession is unregistered will require an application fee, as well as a fee for the survey that will be undertaken on behalf of Land Registry by Ordnance Survey.

      When the value of the land is stated to be less than £6,000 there is then no requirement for evidence of identity, which is why an application can be undertaken by any individual capable of downloading and completing the necessary forms from the LR web-site.

      Knowing that a surveyor will need to visit the site, that is when the appearance of the land should be such that it appears to be an area of land in your exclusive occupation.
      It is not esential that land has to be fenced off, although that is the most common way of showing exclusive possession with the intention to possess.

      Those are the two requirements to prove that adverse possession for over 12 years has extinguished the legal title of the paper owner, because Section 17 Limitation Act 1980 has that effect.

      After 12 years Section 15 Limitation Act stops the legal owner from starting court proceedings to recover their land, which is why the applicant able to show more than 12 years exclusive possession has a better title that will be recognised by Land Registry, as long as the Surveyor's report concludes that the appearance of the land is such that the application should be completed.

      What has to me mentioned is that even if the application was not accepted by Land Registry that does not require the current use of the land to cease.
      It just means there is no paper title in the name of the person currently using the land, although that person has a better title than anyone other than the owner with the paper deed that confirms his, or her, or its ownership.

      So make the land appear to be yours before the Surveyor comes to view the land is the best advice you can be given.


        Worst case, the application alerts the real owner. At this point you can make them an offer for it.


        Latest Activity


        • Purchase of freehold
          by Drewcole
          Hi All,

          I own a 2 bed ground floor flat in a converted Victorian house (2 flats in total) that i have a long lease of 167yrs. I currently pay a ground rent of £160, a service charge of £400 and a insurance premium of £800!

          I have spoken to the owner of the flat above and...
          10-08-2020, 15:16 PM
        • Reply to Purchase of freehold
          by Drewcole
          Hi, I thought it was a little high considering its two flat with a tiny hallway shared that hasn't been maintained since I've owned.

          I guess I can only try, if I do nothing then I'm letting them get away with over charging on the insurance. £1500 for insurance for the two flats seems...
          11-08-2020, 11:40 AM
        • Buying house with sitting tenant
          by carolem
          Residential house for sale with tenant holding over. AST for 6 months granted by letting agents of current owner in November 2019. Since it expired tenant been holding over and paying rent etc. As a potential purchaser who wants to buy it as investment with tenant in situ are there any issues for me...
          07-08-2020, 13:20 PM
        • Reply to Buying house with sitting tenant
          by Gordon999
          Yes, you should arrange for new AST rental agreement because the last one is in the previous owner's name and no longer valid. You have no legal right to hold the tenants deposit without AST agreement. .
          11-08-2020, 10:37 AM
        • Reply to Purchase of freehold
          by Gordon999
          If you find alternative companies are quoting much lower insurance premium, you can ask the current broker to declare how much commission has been paid and then you consider making application to FTT for judgement on the reasonable cost of the buildings insurance. ,

          I think your current...
          11-08-2020, 09:17 AM
        • Reply to Purchase of freehold
          by Drewcole
          Thanks for the replies, so I've had a quick look online to. See how long the lease is on the other flat, she seems to have about 63yrs remaining so the cost to try a purchase the freehold myself is a no go.

          I will write and request the insurance info and try and go down that route. Is there...
          11-08-2020, 07:12 AM
        • Reply to Purchase of freehold
          by Gordon999
          It requires both flats in a building with 2 flats ) to participate in compulsory freehold purchase. See last sentence in section 2 in the free guide.

          If the buildings insurance is £800 per flat, you are probably...
          10-08-2020, 18:00 PM
        • Reply to Purchase of freehold
          by Anna1985
          I would check how long is downstairs lease.
          and then would run the estimated costs freehold on lease calculator.
          And go from there.
          10-08-2020, 17:52 PM
        • Documentation for renovations on share of freehold flat
          by Basecamp
          We are a first floor flat, share of freehold with the ground floor flat. We both have a 999 year lease. In 2014 we did a loft conversion. We had a party wall agreement with the other share of freeholder flat, planning permission and it has all been signed off by building control. However, should we...
          06-08-2020, 10:45 AM
        • Reply to Documentation for renovations on share of freehold flat
          by Basecamp
          Thank you for your responses. We will consult w lawyer to have the Deed updated with the new floor plan....
          08-08-2020, 09:16 AM