Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Non-Refundable deposit for Auction Property

Hi,

We purchased a property under auction conditions (we didn't buy it at the auction but because we had seen it while 'under auction'we had to purchase it under auction conditions and pay a £3000 'non refundable deposit/fee' along with a premium to auction house

long story short my wife lost her job this week as a result of Corona and we have had to pull out of purchase. We hadn't exchanged contracts or got very far.

The auction house/vendor say the vendor is keeping the £3000 deposit which i think is pretty immoral but im wondering under Consumer Rights Act could we not argue in small claims court that withholding the £3000 is an 'unfair term' as the property can still ultimately be sold and the only deductions that should be made are the vendors costs incurred?

Thanks

We are in very unusual times at the moment. I don't think you are going to see the £3000 returned. If you agreed to the sale under auction conditions and then withdraw, generally, if the property is resold later, at a lower price, then the Vendor can come to you for redress for the difference.

I would check this out with your solicitor.

Comment

Originally posted by croboy View Post
      The auction house/vendor say the vendor is keeping the £3000 deposit which i think is pretty immoral ... is an 'unfair term' as the property can still ultimately be sold and the only deductions that should be made are the vendors costs incurred?
      As Claymore says. Yes it could be sold, but now at a lower price and with expenditure of effort and with delay.

Nothing "immoral" about wanting contracts to be ... well contracts.

Comment

Originally posted by Claymore View Post
        If you agreed to the sale under auction conditions and then withdraw, generally, if the property is resold later, at a lower price, then the Vendor can come to you for redress for the difference.

I would check this out with your solicitor.
        Really? I've never heard of that.
        I don't think you'll get any of your deposit back.

Comment

What exactly is the point of a deposit if you don't lose it if you don't proceed. That is the entire point.

Comment

"We purchased a property under auction conditions"

"We hadn't exchanged contracts or got very far"

The two above statements are incompatible. Please confirm exactly what happened. Did you sign anything?

Comment

I think what the OP means is that he effectively made a bid on a property under "modern auction" conditions, whether at the auction of via a different route. You will probably find out that in some of your communications there were terms and conditions associated with making your offer on the house.

So it is not a deposit in the conventional sense of a house auction (i.e. you have not exchanged) but is a commission payment to the agency that neither forms part of the deposit or is refundable. The only time you get these back is if the seller pulls out and even then the agent won't be keen to return the money.

On the positive side of things you won't have to pay anything if the property now sells for less, the £3k was you paying for an option to buy, you decided not to buy, you very unfortunately lose the money.

Probably best to chalk up to experience

Only my personal view

All the best Stew

Comment

it was probably a combination of fee payable by the buyer and deposit on a small lot size property. Very unlikely to see any money back if not proceeding. I cant see that the auctioneer would have collected 3000 pounds on any other basis. They are approachable people, talk to them

Comment

There are two ways in which the OP can be bound:

One is that the OP did not attend the auction room personally, but submitted a bid which was not bettered in the auction room. In that case the contract was made on the fall of the hammer. A sale by public auction is one of the exceptions to the rule that a contract for the sale of land must be in writing and accordingly nothing needs to be signed.

The other is that the intention was to sell the property at auction, but the OP made an offer which the seller accepted before.auction. The OP then signed what he would have signed had he been the successful bidder (or some other document in which the seller contracted to sell and the OP to buy the property) and the seller or the auctioneer on his behalf signed the same document or a duplicate which was handed to the OP.

In both cases any deposit paid will be forfeit if the OP does not proceed. (But see also below.)

However, if the OP just expressed an interest in buying and paid a depost to the auctioneer but did not sign any sort of contract or make a bid, then there is no contract. A deposit must be supported by a contract. If there is no contract the deposit is refundable.

As to deposits generally, the starting point is that on a breach of contract the injured party is not entitled to compensation which exceeds his losses. Accordingly, if a deposit was paid the amount by which it exceeds the loss is refundable. In the case of a contract for the sale of land section 49(2) of the Law of Property Act 1925 provides that "[w]here the court refuses to grant specific performance of a contract, or in any action for the return of a deposit, the court may, if it thinks fit, order the repayment of any deposit". How the discretion is exercised is discussed here: https://www.tanfieldchambers.co.uk/2...osit-dilemmas/ - law as at 6th July 2016.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Deposit Forfeit
                    by Lawcruncher
                    Surely not!

When I was working someone in the office was selling to someone else in the office. The agent rang up the seller and said the buyer was threatening to pull out if there was not an immediate exchange. The agent then rang up the buyer and said the seller was threatening to pull...
                    29-05-2020, 09:22 AM
                  • Deposit Forfeit
                    by Goatrote
                    Hello all,

A sale that looked dead because of the virus might be going head. We are in the middle of three-property chain.

I would like to know our legal position should we exchange and then our buyers' mortage falls through before completion.

Do we both have to...
                    28-05-2020, 16:59 PM
                    by Tipper
                    I would suggest that the agents are talking up the exchange in an attempt to protect their commissions...ignore them!

Your transactions are only between you and your conveyancer to decide, the agent merely introduced the parties.
                    29-05-2020, 09:06 AM
                    by Lawcruncher
                    There is no law that requires a 10% deposit to be paid. It is a matter for negotiation.

If a purchaser fails to complete a purchase his deposit is forfeit. He is also liable to pay damages for any loss incurred by the vendor to the extent they exceed the deposit. Damages will usually be...
                    28-05-2020, 23:54 PM
                  • Adverse Posession of Unregistered Land
                    by Cumulus
                    Hi everyone - I've just joined!

After much reading, I believe I'm mostly up to speed on what my options are. I'd appreciate a check however, to see if I've missed/misunderstood anything. Hence my posting here.

There is a relatively small plot of land (probably around 10x10...
                    03-05-2020, 18:28 PM
                  • Reply to Adverse Posession of Unregistered Land
                    by Logical.Lean
                    Worst case, the application alerts the real owner. At this point you can make them an offer for it....
                    28-05-2020, 22:45 PM
                  • Protected Covenant - should I pursue with Local Authority?
                    by katylou82
                    Hello everyone,

First time posting here and very appreciative of any advice that can be offered.

Our house was built in 2001 and we are the 3rd owners, purchasing it with no conveyancing issues in 2011. In 2017, we changed the use of our double garage into a playroom with a...
                    22-05-2020, 22:21 PM
                  • Reply to Protected Covenant - should I pursue with Local Authority?
                    by Gordon999
                    Better to convert back to double garage. A bath in the garage is a no-go to mortgage lenders.
                    28-05-2020, 16:07 PM
                    by pilman
                    An application to be registered as the owner with a possessory title when the land in your possession is unregistered will require an application fee, as well as a fee for the survey that will be undertaken on behalf of Land Registry by Ordnance Survey.

When the value of the land is stated...
                    28-05-2020, 14:37 PM
                    by Lawcruncher
                    If you do an index map search of a piece of land and it comes back indicating it is not registered there is no need to check the boundaries of adjoining land. It must though be remembered that Land Registry plans of amost all registered land are subject to the general boundaries rule and do not show...
                    26-05-2020, 08:20 AM
                  Working...
                  X