X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Open staircase treads

Hi,

I wondered whether anyone could help.

I have had an offer accepted on a 1960s style house. It is 3 stores high. 1st floor has a garage, bedroom, bathroom. 2nd floor is the open plan living area. 3rd floor are 3 bedrooms and a bathroom.

I have just had a surveyor from the bank issue a zero valuation on my buy-to-let mortgage. The reason for this is because the stairs have open treads (original stairs in property). Apparently these do not comply with fire regulations and they need to be inclosed before the mortgage company will lend.

I have a couple of issues here. The property isn't mine at the moment so I can't see the seller wanting to do this. Also, these are original stairs, they haven't been modified.

I am unsure what my options are. Is it possible to dispute this survey? Do I go with another mortgage lender? Do I try and get the seller to resolve the issue?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Bob

New building regs cannot be applied to older properties but if the lender won't accept this stair situation either get the buyer (you I assume) to try another lender, get a 2nd opinion or ask vendor to make the alteration to the stairs. Depends how desperate he is to sell to you I expect.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

I don't think it's fire regs, it's more likely to be having a gap that small children could fall through! The regs associated with stairs have changed several times over the years.

It's good the surveyor has advised you of this but I don't see what it has to do with the mortgage lender and as said if it passed the building regs when it was built then it's fine. I would be asking the surveyor if he understands the building regs and to justify why he gave no valuation.

Comment

Will ask the question and get back to you.

Thanks

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X