proceed from joint owner property

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

proceed from joint owner property

I own a property jointly with my sister. Property is a rented property and im thinking of selling the property. My sister is fine with it as she does not deal with anything and its all my decision although she is a joint owner. My question is when it is being sold, is it possible for me to receive all sale proceeds (profits) as she is ok with that or will my conveyancer say the proceeds have to be shared by both owners.

Can anybody please help

A written confirmation signed by you and your sister and sent to the solicitor who is to complete the sale will be sufficient if it instructs the solicitor that the proceeds of sale are to be transferred into the bank account stipulated in the letter.

If that was the bank account in your sole name that is an instruction that the solicitor will have to follow since he acts for both of the parties named as the current registered proprietors who will each have signed the instruction to the solicitor as to where the proceeds of sale are to be transferred.

Comment

One thing that also should be considered is who is to pay the capital gains tax on the "profit".
      Two people can each take advantage of the Tax Free allowance, so if your sister is really willing to allow you to take the whole of the profit from the sale of this house, it would be better if she receives half, pays the appropriate capital gains Tax on her share and then gifts the remainder to you. Her tax allowance will then have been used so that there will be a savings on the amount of tax paid if only one person was to receive the proceeds of sale.

Comment

Originally posted by pilman View Post
        One thing that also should be considered is who is to pay the capital gains tax on the "profit".
        Two people can each take advantage of the Tax Free allowance, so if your sister is really willing to allow you to take the whole of the profit from the sale of this house, it would be better if she receives half, pays the appropriate capital gains Tax on her share and then gifts the remainder to you. Her tax allowance will then have been used so that there will be a savings on the amount of tax paid if only one person was to receive the proceeds of sale.
        Even if the sister agrees that her entire share will be donated at the point of sale, she still has to pay capital gains tax on that share.

Comment

Thank you, this is really helpful. It looks like I should think about capital gains tax beforehand.

Can I ask, can sale profit be split into different proportion rather than half each even if though we have been paying rental income tax on half half basis.

Comment

Yes though you do need to own it in that exact proportion, and have paid the CGT involved in achieving that. Rent between non spouses can be distributed (with expenses in the same proportion) in an agreed ratio different to that of actual beneficial ownership

Comment

The personal allowance for Capital Gains is £12,000, so if the total profit from the original buying price and the selling price less the costs involved in the sale is more than £24,000, then the balance above £24,000 is taxable so that the two named owners will need to pay the tax within one month if the sale is completed after April 6th 2020 due to the new procedure that will be introduced by HMRC on that date.
              From 6 April 2020, the individual or trust will have 30 days to report their capital gains tax due and pay what they owe. For example, if the sale is completed June 12, the reporting and the payment would need to be completed by July 12.
              Then the situation is whether each of the named owners pays capital gains tax at the standard rate or the higher rate depending on their other income in the tax year.

The point is that as long as each party is able to take advantage of the personal CGT allowance of £12,000 if either one needs to pay a higher rate of tax due to the level of their income, it may need the co-owners to work together to ensure that the minimum amount of tax is paid. Then the sister can gift money to the brother once payment of the correct minimum amount of tax has been resolved.

Comment

I appreciate the detailed explanation of how cgt works. I want to be more specific, in my case I own half of property and my sister the other half on land registry documents as joint tenants (owners). So, when we sell it can we split proceeds on 90:10 basis in my favour. I pay mortgage and manage the Lettings, basically everything. my sister is just joint owner with joint mortgage. Both of us are basic rate taxpayer. (I’m not sure if I should be asking these in the tax section here)

Comment

You need to say why -

For CGT purposes you will each still be liable to CGT on 50%

Splitting the proceeds is a different matter (you are allowed to give gifts)

You could change the ownership split before you sell, but then you will pay CGT on that change - which may help if it is in a different tax year.

I think this is basically the same question as before. What exactly are you trying to achieve?
                  Even if the immediate sale proceeds are received by you each at the point of sale there is nothing stopping her writing you a large cheque voluntarily. Or are you trying to achieve something involuntary?

Comment

The reason is because I paid the deposit when we bought the house and we agreed that she pays me half deposit back but that didn’t happen. Circumstances changed and my sister was no longer interested in the property although her name is still on mortgage and title deeds.

it looks like the best way would be for us to pay cgt first and then she will pay me voluntarily as gift. She doesn’t want to get involved too much so that’s why initially I thought I could receive all proceeds myself and pay all cgt due.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Purchasing property that is tenanted
                      by mhuk01
                      Hello,

I am currently in the process of purchasing a tenanted property. The tenant is on a 12 month AST that will expire in June. I'm currently just a few weeks from exchanging contracts, however I'd like to understand in more depth how this process will work...

I would...
                      25-03-2020, 16:06 PM
                    • Reply to Purchasing property that is tenanted
                      by theartfullodger
                      After serving notice(s) compliant with s48 & S3. If not served no rent due (s48) and possible criminal offence and fines (S3).

Tenant does not have to agree or sign any new tenancy or changes.

When did tenant 1st move in? If early enough it won't be AST -regardless of...
                      26-03-2020, 08:38 AM
                    • Reply to Purchasing property that is tenanted
                      by flyingfreehold
                      Secure the property then see about either renewing of granting a new tenancy in favour of the tenant. You have no "nexus" with the tenant at present ie no legal standing concerning the letting. Therefore you cant legally contract terms with him or her. as you are not the landlord. Sort it...
                      25-03-2020, 21:58 PM
                    • Reply to What's the worse that could happen?
                      by flyingfreehold
                      If £5000 was all I'd lost this week, I'd be extremely happy!...
                      24-03-2020, 22:05 PM
                    • What's the worse that could happen?
                      by SomeGuyNamedDave
                      Hi there, you don't know me but I've agreed to buy a £40,000 leasehold flat on an online auction, I've already exchanged contracts and paid £5000 fees and deposit. Let's not get into why but I don't want the flat anymore. So my question is, how bad could it get if I say I'm not buying it? I can accept...
                      18-03-2020, 21:45 PM
                      by flyingfreehold
                      In today's deflated world suppose they put it in the next auction with a note that "buyer failed to complete" the dealers in the room (or virtual room) will assume you discovered it had dry rot or something like that and it only makes 30K you owe them aanother 5K plus legals and another lot...
                      24-03-2020, 22:02 PM
                      by Lawcruncher
                      If you fail to complete, the seller can keep the deposit. He is also entitled to damages for any loss to the extent that they exceed the amount of the deposit.

Examples:

Loss £6000 and deposit £5000, the seller can claim £1000.

Loss £4000 and deposit £5000,...
                      24-03-2020, 10:42 AM
                      by Jon66
                      If you have exchanged contracts you have to complete the purchase. The penalty is not just the deposit, you will be liable for all losses. In this environment the losses could be huge, including any loss in value.
                      24-03-2020, 01:05 AM
                    • Selling of freehold, shareholder refusal
                      by debzb
                      My husband had an offer on his flat back in April 2019, he owns 25% of the freehold and 100% of the leasehold on his individual flat. Unfortunately, one of the owners died so he had to wait for the family to get probate. In the meantime the other 3 freehold owners signed ID1 and TR1 forms and a deed...
                      28-02-2020, 17:12 PM
                    • Reply to Selling of freehold, shareholder refusal
                      by Lawcruncher
                      If a freehold is vested in four owners and one dies then (absent some restriction on the register - which would be unusual) you do not need to wait for probate of the deceased owner to transfer the freehold. I also do not understand how the documents executed have expired.

Whilst not entirely...
                      23-03-2020, 23:31 PM
                    Working...
                    X