Auction purchase - No solicitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auction purchase - No solicitor

Was at an auction before Xmas and met a couple who regularly buy at auction. They dont use mortgages or a solicitor to complete once the hammer has fallen

They said there was no conveyancing work only TR1 to submit to land registry.

That got me thinking, has anyone else ever purchased with no solicitor?

Its not a requirement to have a solicitor but will a solicitor acting for a seller accept funds from a buyer without a client account?

Or can a buyer pay HRMC the stamp duty direct.?id always recommend a solicitor however where no mortgage or conveyancing whatsoever the benefit may be marginal.

What experience have others had of buying at auction with no solicitor acting for them?

I never use a solicitor now. It's easy enough if you buy at auction or privately. If you need a mortgage they usually insist on a solicitor. Obviously you need to read through things carefully and question anything you don't understand but it really isn't difficult. There's a book I bought the first time I did it. I can't remember the title but I'll have a look if you want to know.
    You can pay stamp duty directly yourself (make sure it's within the time limit). You can send the money to the seller's solicitor, I've done it by cheque and online banking. If the seller isn't using a solicitor it's harder as you need to get the paperwork at the same time they get the money.

Comment

It is always a risk bidding for a property at auction without legal advice. As I said in another thread:

There are three rules if considering buying at auction:

1. Do not bid without having had the position investigated by a conveyancer.
      2. Remember rule 1.
      3. Do not forget rule 2.

There are many reasons why a property is sold at auction and one of them is that there is something dodgy about the property or its title which will be covered by a special condition which it is hoped a bargain hunter will miss or ignore.

Comment

If the seller isn't the real owner, you could become a victim of fraud.

Comment

The fraud point is a good one. As far as employing a conveyancer to review each legal pack this muat be an individual decision. For my part i may only get 1 lot in every 10 bid on so not realy economic to review all these at several hundred pounds each. I take advice when i dont understand the legal pack. This post is more about where no advice sought on legal pack (in my case because I understand it) on the merit /necessity of a solicitor acting for me as buyer in the completion stage. Id be interested in any book others have used - seems to me pre completion enquiries is the major issue but registration to Land Registry services is not limited to solicirors

Comment

Many people take risks everyday. Crossing the road is a risk but if you look left and right before stepping forward , you hope you can complete without being hit by a passing car. So looking at the legal pack before the auction starts is equivalent to "look left and right" at the road crossing.
            Land Registry have had to compensate some property owners for fraudulent transfers because the conveyancing solicitor was deceived by the rental tenant who was posing as the property owner. So now solicitors have to conduct CDD ( client due diligence ) before accepting property owner as the client.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to What's the worse that could happen?
              by pilman
              Old Jewish saying: "How do you make a million pounds?
              Start with two million pounds!"
              29-03-2020, 17:46 PM
            • What's the worse that could happen?
              by SomeGuyNamedDave
              Hi there, you don't know me but I've agreed to buy a £40,000 leasehold flat on an online auction, I've already exchanged contracts and paid £5000 fees and deposit. Let's not get into why but I don't want the flat anymore. So my question is, how bad could it get if I say I'm not buying it? I can accept...
              18-03-2020, 21:45 PM
            • Purchasing property that is tenanted
              by mhuk01
              Hello,

I am currently in the process of purchasing a tenanted property. The tenant is on a 12 month AST that will expire in June. I'm currently just a few weeks from exchanging contracts, however I'd like to understand in more depth how this process will work...

I would...
              25-03-2020, 16:06 PM
            • Reply to Purchasing property that is tenanted
              by theartfullodger
              After serving notice(s) compliant with s48 & S3. If not served no rent due (s48) and possible criminal offence and fines (S3).

Tenant does not have to agree or sign any new tenancy or changes.

When did tenant 1st move in? If early enough it won't be AST -regardless of...
              26-03-2020, 08:38 AM
            • Reply to Purchasing property that is tenanted
              by flyingfreehold
              Secure the property then see about either renewing of granting a new tenancy in favour of the tenant. You have no "nexus" with the tenant at present ie no legal standing concerning the letting. Therefore you cant legally contract terms with him or her. as you are not the landlord. Sort it...
              25-03-2020, 21:58 PM
              by flyingfreehold
              If £5000 was all I'd lost this week, I'd be extremely happy!...
              24-03-2020, 22:05 PM
              by flyingfreehold
              In today's deflated world suppose they put it in the next auction with a note that "buyer failed to complete" the dealers in the room (or virtual room) will assume you discovered it had dry rot or something like that and it only makes 30K you owe them aanother 5K plus legals and another lot...
              24-03-2020, 22:02 PM
              by Lawcruncher
              If you fail to complete, the seller can keep the deposit. He is also entitled to damages for any loss to the extent that they exceed the amount of the deposit.

Examples:

Loss £6000 and deposit £5000, the seller can claim £1000.

Loss £4000 and deposit £5000,...
              24-03-2020, 10:42 AM
              by Jon66
              If you have exchanged contracts you have to complete the purchase. The penalty is not just the deposit, you will be liable for all losses. In this environment the losses could be huge, including any loss in value.
              24-03-2020, 01:05 AM
            • Reply to Selling of freehold, shareholder refusal
              by Lawcruncher
              If a freehold is vested in four owners and one dies then (absent some restriction on the register - which would be unusual) you do not need to wait for probate of the deceased owner to transfer the freehold. I also do not understand how the documents executed have expired.

Whilst not entirely...
              23-03-2020, 23:31 PM
            Working...
            X