Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Change of landlord- Notice fees/ground rent queries

Hi,

I hope someone can help with these queries.

I rent out a flat and I sent the Superior Landlord a letter advising this and giving my address for all future communication, such as ground rent demands.

I recently realised that I hadn't received ground rent demands so I wrote to the landlord to request these and proffered a cheque for the two most recent payments (Sept 07 and March 08), sending a copy of my letter re change of address send last year.

The cheque has now been returned to me saying it is incorrectly made out - it isn't but it seems the landlord has changed. Doesn't the landlord have to give me some sort of formal notice of this change? Otherwise how do I know I am paying my cheque to the right person? What form should this notice take? Does the landlord have to evidence that they are now registered at Land Registry as the new landlord?

This new landlord has now also sent me the demands but has added a sum of £40 for late payment of the September 07 ground rent (which is only £25!) even though I sent change of address details, which he claims not to have received. I've read the lease and it says interest on late payments may be charged but doesn't mention a fee of £40. Personally I think it's a money making ruse.

Please can anyone tell me where I stand on having to pay the £40 charge in these circumstances? I feel aggrieved because I did send notice of change of address and that letter was never returned as unsent mail.

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,

1. As to change of freehold reversioner (L), yes. You should have received:
    a. letter of authority from old L; and
    b. Notices from new L under:
    i. section 3 of LTA 1985; and
    ii. section 48 of LTA 1987.

2. If this is a flat, not a house, did you not receive a pre-completion Notice under s.5 of LTA 1987 (Right of First Refusal)?

3. Unles lease reserves a late payment fee, L's demand must comply with s.158 of (and Schedule 11 to) 2002 Act.

4. Any ground rent demand must comply with s.166 of 2002 Act too.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Hi Jeffrey,

Many thanks for your reply. I'm trying to find the references you mention online but please could you tell me the gist of what the landlord has to comply with in terms of the section you mention re late payment charges?

Many thanks.

Kind regards

Comment

L has to submit, with any demand for an admin. charge not specified in lease, a sheet setting out T's rights.
        Send pm to me with your e-mail address and I'll forward a one-page summary: one that I prepared earlier!
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

Late payment fee for ground rent

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
          L has to submit, with any demand for an admin. charge not specified in lease, a sheet setting out T's rights.
          Send pm to me with your e-mail address and I'll forward a one-page summary: one that I prepared earlier!
          Jeffrey

I have recently received a demand for ground of £20 from a company i had not heard of, it turns out that whilst i was on holiday the company who own the leasehold have sold to another company, i paid the amount of £20 as soon as i found out but now they have returned the cheque and requested a late payment fee of £36, where do i stand with this, as i had know idea of them and did pay asap, phoned them to explain and excepted that i may not have had notification. please reply to jasontalbot909@hotmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by jaytalbot View Post
            I have recently received a demand for ground of £20 from a company i had not heard of, it turns out that whilst i was on holiday the company who own the leasehold...
            No, you own the leasehold- don't you?

Originally posted by jaytalbot View Post
            ...have sold to another company, i paid the amount of £20 as soon as i found out but now they have returned the cheque and requested a late payment fee of £36, where do i stand with this, as i had know idea of them and did pay asap
            Did new L serve on you:
            a. old L's Letter of Authority;
            b. Notice under s.3 of LTA 1985;
            c. [if it's a flat] Notice under s.3A of LTA 1985; and
            d. Notice under s.48 of LTA 1987?

Finally, did the ground rent demand comply with s.166 of the Commonhold and Leasehold Reform Act 2002?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Flying Freehold
              by Dal1
              Hi

Me and my business partner seem to have hit a stumbling block in our purchase. Our current solicitor is insisting on a change to the boundary the sellers solicitor has tried to remedy this but cannot.

Are you able to offer some informal advice on this matter?
              27-09-2021, 10:14 AM
            • Reply to Flying Freehold
              by Lawcruncher
              image sharing

Without seeing the LR plan and knowing the layout it is not possible to comment definitively, but I think your solicitor is probably being overcautious.

The above plan shows two properties looked at from the street. The brown shows a covered passageway. The blue...
              27-09-2021, 12:56 PM
              by Tipper
              You say that you only own 50% of the flying part.

If 50% then it may not actually be a true flying freehold as each property will own 50% of the footprint of the passageway below the flying part and each will have the right to pass over the others half.
              27-09-2021, 11:55 AM
              by Dal1
              Update from our solicitor below.

Good Morning,

Our position is that the title is defective and needs to amended before we can proceed.

You will not legally own that part of the property. It is not the flying freehold which is the issue. The issue is that you will...
              27-09-2021, 11:08 AM
            • Sister living in inherited property and refusing me using & entry
              by ricciarelloderoma
              Hi all,

would anyone know the answers to the following questions?

Our mother passed away over a year ago and in her estate she left a house in inheritance 50% to my sister and 50% to me, on our mother's will it doesn't say my sister can continue living free of rent at this...
              19-09-2021, 11:51 AM
            • Reply to Sister living in inherited property and refusing me using & entry
              by islandgirl
              As above, I would just move in. The house is big enough to share - one living room each. You would hardly see each other. Then you can move forward with sorting everything out between you. That may be the push your sister needs! After all she is living in a huge house rent free - why would she wish...
              27-09-2021, 09:47 AM
            • Reply to Sister living in inherited property and refusing me using & entry
              by AndrewDod
              If it is as you say the property should be in joint names (either as tenants in common or as joint owners).

There is absolutely nothing stopping you from just moving in. You can break down the door if necessary to achieve that....
              26-09-2021, 21:51 PM
            • Reply to studio rent out/airbnb - conveyancing
              by Neelix
              Not sure having the services locked inside a seperate property is a good idea
              26-09-2021, 18:24 PM
            • studio rent out/airbnb - conveyancing
              by Joshman
              Hello

Im buying a property - it will need a bit of work - there is space to make a studio (own front door, bath/kitchen, part of main house and use same electric/water/utilities etc as main house). I could let this out monthly as a studio or as airbnb - the income would help me a lot....
              26-09-2021, 13:49 PM
            • Reply to Covenant - Rebuild Qn
              by pilman
              Offering a purely personal opinion I would ignore the wording used in the 1928 covenant if the planning authority grant planning permission.

The chances that there is an identified parcel of land with the benefit of such a covenant and a land-owner who would be able to claim a breach of...
              26-09-2021, 18:12 PM
            Working...
            X