Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right to first refusal?

Hello

Im not sure if I am in the right part of the forum.

Im a leaseholder of a ground floor flat and the owner of the first floor flat has passed away. It’s going on the market for sale soon and I’ve told them I’m interested in purchasing it.

the flat will be sold with the freehold.

There are only the two flats in the building. What I want to know is, do I have the right to first refusal of the property?

The leasehold title for the flat and the freehold title for the whole property are two separate legal titles, so there is no right for the other leaseholder to be given first refusal.

Although if I were selling the first floor flat the idea that the sale can be concluded without incurring estate agent's commission would make it very sensible to sell to the other leaseholder, as long as that leaseholder was prepared to pay the true market value.

If this will include the freehold title, as well as the leasehold title, the price offered by the other leaseholder ought to be much more than that offered by any other prospective buyer because of the additional value owning the freehold has for the ground floor flat owner.

There is the chance that the freehold will be retained if there is ground rent payable on both of the leasehold titles, but if it is definitely included in the single sale then it is definitely worth pursuing the Executors of the deceased person's estate to show how much you want to buy the property without it needing to be advertised for sale.

Comment

Tricky question because if there is no lease on the other flat then you should probably be offered the freehold.
      more info needed....

Comment

The guide to RFR can be seen at https://www.lease-advice.org/fact-sh...first-refusal/

Comment

Imho, as the owner was leaving in the property, and the lease reverted to the freehold there is probably no right of 1st refusal but it is all depends on the price

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Purchase of freehold
            by Drewcole
            Hi, I thought it was a little high considering its two flat with a tiny hallway shared that hasn't been maintained since I've owned.

I guess I can only try, if I do nothing then I'm letting them get away with over charging on the insurance. £1500 for insurance for the two flats seems...
            11-08-2020, 11:40 AM
          • Purchase of freehold
            by Drewcole
            Hi All,

I own a 2 bed ground floor flat in a converted Victorian house (2 flats in total) that i have a long lease of 167yrs. I currently pay a ground rent of £160, a service charge of £400 and a insurance premium of £800!

I have spoken to the owner of the flat above and...
            10-08-2020, 15:16 PM
          • Reply to Buying house with sitting tenant
            by Gordon999
            Yes, you should arrange for new AST rental agreement because the last one is in the previous owner's name and no longer valid. You have no legal right to hold the tenants deposit without AST agreement. .
            11-08-2020, 10:37 AM
          • Buying house with sitting tenant
            by carolem
            Residential house for sale with tenant holding over. AST for 6 months granted by letting agents of current owner in November 2019. Since it expired tenant been holding over and paying rent etc. As a potential purchaser who wants to buy it as investment with tenant in situ are there any issues for me...
            07-08-2020, 13:20 PM
            by Gordon999
            If you find alternative companies are quoting much lower insurance premium, you can ask the current broker to declare how much commission has been paid and then you consider making application to FTT for judgement on the reasonable cost of the buildings insurance. ,

I think your current...
            11-08-2020, 09:17 AM
            by Drewcole
            Thanks for the replies, so I've had a quick look online to. See how long the lease is on the other flat, she seems to have about 63yrs remaining so the cost to try a purchase the freehold myself is a no go.

I will write and request the insurance info and try and go down that route. Is there...
            11-08-2020, 07:12 AM
            by Gordon999
            It requires both flats in a building with 2 flats ) to participate in compulsory freehold purchase. See last sentence in section 2 in the free guide.

https://www.lease-advice.org/advice-...tting-started/

If the buildings insurance is £800 per flat, you are probably...
            10-08-2020, 18:00 PM
            by Anna1985
            I would check how long is downstairs lease.
            and then would run the estimated costs freehold on lease calculator.
            And go from there.
            10-08-2020, 17:52 PM
          • Reply to Documentation for renovations on share of freehold flat
            by Basecamp
            Thank you for your responses. We will consult w lawyer to have the Deed updated with the new floor plan....
            08-08-2020, 09:16 AM
          • Documentation for renovations on share of freehold flat
            by Basecamp
            We are a first floor flat, share of freehold with the ground floor flat. We both have a 999 year lease. In 2014 we did a loft conversion. We had a party wall agreement with the other share of freeholder flat, planning permission and it has all been signed off by building control. However, should we...
            06-08-2020, 10:45 AM
          Working...
          X