Building service management as a Ltd co

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Building service management as a Ltd co

    We are a block of four flats that bought the freehold last year. I own one of the flats and took the responsibility to manage the building and have dropped the service fees from 10k to 7k because of how inefficient the previous service managers were.

    i was asked by the neighbouring share of freehold buildings to also manage their building and I could charge a certain management fee, and will overall reduce their bill and get better local suppliers, building insurance etc

    My question is: I’d like to setup a Ltd company and manage the neighbours buildings for a certain fee. do i need to have any specific qualifications for that? Do I need to be legally approved as a surveyor or rics etc , or am I able to service the building thru my company with no qualifications?

    many thanks!

    You need to belong to a property management redress scheme, of which there are two.

    There is talk of introducing qualifications, but none are currently required.

    You should ensure you have a good understanding of the RICS Service Charge Residential Management Code, Health and Safety and Landlord and Tenant law.

    Obviously you need to know when you are out of your depth, and need to call in a qualified person.


      Thanks leaseholder64!


        found this - hope it helps -


        Latest Activity


        • Adverse Possession
          by Ricky G
          I acquired possession of a property 13 years ago. It was an ex council house that had been bought by the tenant. The neighbouring property was still a council property. Its tenant purchased that house 5 years ago.

          Today I discovered that the fence in between the houses is a foot nearer...
          19-02-2020, 12:26 PM
        • Reply to Adverse Possession
          by Lawcruncher
          Unless the neighbour has queried the position of the fence I think that this is something you can quietly ignore.

          The first point to be made when it is suggested that a fence may be in the wrong place is that determining the position of a legal boundary of a property to a matter of inches...
          19-02-2020, 18:23 PM
        • Reply to Adverse Possession
          by nukecad
          One foot?
          Is this a coursework question?

          That's a fence positioning / boundary issue.
          By the time you have scaled up the boundayy line drawn on the deeds it will be at least that wide, and often wider if the boundary is drawn in a thick line.
          19-02-2020, 18:16 PM
        • Freehold to Leasehold
          by GriffR
          We're planning on purchasing a freehold block of 4 flats at auction which are currently on one title using a bridging loan initially. The lender wants an in-depth exit strategy which we hoped was going to be as simple as splitting the deeds into 4 leasehold units and obtaining a mortgage on each enabling...
          19-02-2020, 17:45 PM
        • proceed from joint owner property
          by tony2500
          I own a property jointly with my sister. Property is a rented property and im thinking of selling the property. My sister is fine with it as she does not deal with anything and its all my decision although she is a joint owner. My question is when it is being sold, is it possible for me to receive...
          14-02-2020, 10:56 AM
        • Reply to proceed from joint owner property
          by tony2500
          The reason is because I paid the deposit when we bought the house and we agreed that she pays me half deposit back but that didn’t happen. Circumstances changed and my sister was no longer interested in the property although her name is still on mortgage and title deeds.

          it looks like...
          19-02-2020, 14:24 PM
        • Reply to proceed from joint owner property
          by AndrewDod
          You need to say why -

          For CGT purposes you will each still be liable to CGT on 50%

          Splitting the proceeds is a different matter (you are allowed to give gifts)

          You could change the ownership split before you sell, but then you will pay CGT on that change - which...
          18-02-2020, 21:13 PM
        • Reply to proceed from joint owner property
          by tony2500
          I appreciate the detailed explanation of how cgt works. I want to be more specific, in my case I own half of property and my sister the other half on land registry documents as joint tenants (owners). So, when we sell it can we split proceeds on 90:10 basis in my favour. I pay mortgage and manage...
          18-02-2020, 20:49 PM
        • Reply to Sales Memorandum at Auction
          by Lawcruncher
          The contract is made when the hammer falls. "A contract made in the course of a public auction" is one of the exceptions to the rule that a contract for the sale of land must be in writing. (Section 2(5)(b) Law of Property (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1989). A sales memorandum at an auction...
          17-02-2020, 22:31 PM
        • Sales Memorandum at Auction
          by Bengt Lagander
          Does a sales memorandum at Auction subject to standard Auction terms and Special Conditions amount to "exchange of contracts"

          If not what does please? Thanks
          17-02-2020, 21:27 PM