Changing the split of tenants in common after paying stamp duty

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Changing the split of tenants in common after paying stamp duty

    I am in the process of remortgaging my buy to let that's currently in my sole name - with my friend for us to be tenants in common. Initially with a low split (possibly 75/25) so I know we will need to pay stamp duty. However, over the next couple years she would like to increase her share.

    1) would we then have to pay additional stamp duty as her share increases?
    2) do we need to wait a certain amount of time before an increase?

    Thank you!

    "Stamp duty" is a transaction tax. You will pay it if the transfer is not a gift or if there is a mortgage. There is no wait-time.

    Are you sure you are not thinking of Capital gains tax? Which you will have to pay regardless of whether this is a gift or not (unless your friend is your spouse)?


      Thank you for replying AndrewDod - No it would be a remortgage so not capital gains. If we did a split and she paid stamp duty on her 25% share but then next year wanted to increase her share to 40% by giving me a lump sum for example, would she then need to go back and pay more stamp duty because her share increased?


        I think you misunderstand it totally.

        If previously she owned zero, and now owns 25% - that is not just a "remortgage" - it is a transfer of 25% of the capital asset - and a clear CGT event. And capital gains tax is payable on that at Market rate.

        Stamp duty is a trivial part of the tax involved in this sort of transaction.


          What is the current value of the whole property for remortgaging ?

          If the transfer of 25% share is valued below £40K , she may not be required to pay any sdlt.

          What is your capital gain on a disposal of 25% share in the property ? You can claim the capital gains personal allowance of £12K .


          Latest Activity


          • Freehold purchase with flats
            Hi All,

            This is my first post :-)
            I found this forum whilst I was googling about freehold insurance and thought I would ask you guys for opinions about my purchase.

            So I'm in the process of buying a detached house (built 1911) consisting 2 flats with separate entrances...
            23-10-2019, 22:22 PM
          • What questions to ask your conveyancer?
            I know reading the documents will highlight some of the questions, but is there a standard checklist that you should ask your conveyancer?
            22-10-2019, 08:17 AM
          • Reply to What questions to ask your conveyancer?
            The main purpose of conveyancers is to issue standard checklists to the seller,so, if you are really going to apply checklists to the conveyancer, maybe you should be cutting them out completely?
            22-10-2019, 09:07 AM
          • Established use right outside demised lease? Help
            Bengt Lagander
            We are looking at a 2 floor freehold with a garden at back of house ground floor which has a long lease on 1st floor. The title plan of long lease clearly shows the demise is at 1st floor only. There is access to the 1st floor from the front.

            However in reality there is a wooden external...
            19-10-2019, 09:35 AM
          • Reply to Established use right outside demised lease? Help
            Whilst the title may may show that the garden is not included in the demise of the first floor, you need to look at the lease to see if any rights are granted over the garden. Such rights could be:

            · An exclusive right to use the garden
            · A right to share use of the garden
            19-10-2019, 17:04 PM
          • Reply to Established use right outside demised lease? Help
            Unless there is an easement referred to within the Lease then constant use of a right of way by a tenant cannot become legal when there is a common landlord of the two properties.

            Someone will need to read through the whole of the lease to find out whether the current situation is lawful...
            19-10-2019, 16:35 PM
          • Fence on either side who own's which
            Is there a golden rule, if the deeds to not specify, who owns and maintains the right or left hand side of the fencing? It's a mid terrace house, I always under the impression that the right hand side of the property was your's to maintain. I tried to look on an aerial view and there's five houses in...
            15-10-2019, 14:55 PM
          • Reply to Fence on either side who own's which
            It may not seem right, but one end of a terrace will always have responsibility for the end fence or even both fences, unless the side fences erected to separate properties are shown to be party fences in a conveyance. Some of the older paper deeds did use an inward facing "T" to identify...
            17-10-2019, 12:39 PM
          • Boundary dispute
            Hello All,

            Thanks for setting this forum up.
            I have been going through a boundary dispute since I moved into our current property a little background below:

            We moved in on the 12th of July 2016 and the following day my next door neighbor tried to moved the fence 12...
            14-10-2019, 14:06 PM
          • Reply to Boundary dispute
            Thanks Lawcrancher, I have visited Jon Maynard's website I even had the pleasure of booking an hour consultation with him, he completely agreed that my neighbour was in the wrong. I have probably read everything online about boundary disputes already. I have come across this forum today and thought...
            14-10-2019, 16:04 PM