Solicitors Negligence Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solicitors Negligence Question

I'm read these forums for a little while and just signed up to ask a quick question. I'm not sure if this is 8n 5he right place.

So I bought a property in 2008 and discovered that the Title to my property was defective in 2015. Basically there was a piece of land on the title of my property that was showed as us owning it. When I purchased the property I was told the Title was good and fine.

The problem is that the property next door to us was sold in 2011. It was sold with the piece of land that was on our title. The solicitor who sold our Neighbours house is the same Solicitor as me and was the same that sold me my property in 2008.
    When our neighbours property was sold my solicor told them that they believed the title of my property was defective.
    The problem here is that my solicitor suspected my title to be defective but never told me when they found this out. I found out 4 years later when I was involved in a property dispute with my neighbour.

I'm just wondering if someone could explain what responsibility my solicitor had to notify me that they believed my title was defective?

Are you saying that the Land Registry plan does not match the apparent boundaries of the land you occupy? If so, is the problem that you occupy land not shown as yours on the plan or that a neighbour occupies land shown as yours on the plan?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Make alterations to property and/or Rent it before completion
      by bob369
      Is it possible to make minor alrterations to a property and/or rent it from a vendor, during the Conveyancing process ?

I am looking to buy a C3 Semi and convert to C4 Small HMO, and secure the C4 PD, before an artkcle 4 is introduced - the date of which may occur towards the end of the...
      09-07-2020, 21:01 PM
    • Management company and insurance Q's - Buy to Let
      by NottsLL
      Hi all,

Just had an offer accepted on my first B2L - a flat in a conversion comprising of 4 flats - and immediately have some questions I wanted to sound out, before I start paying out for solicitors etc.

The seller has told me there is no management company, which raises two...
      08-07-2020, 20:21 PM
    • Reply to Management company and insurance Q's - Buy to Let
      by Section20z
      Often there will be no management company and the freeholder or lessees will manage building, but you need one policy to cover the whole buildings.

Individual (buildings) cover for each flat is a disaster waiting to not be covered!
      What does the lease say about it all ?...
      09-07-2020, 18:03 PM
      by NottsLL
      Thanks for coming back on this. I have been trying to download the freeholder info from the land registry for a few days without success, but will get this as soon as I'm able to.

I'm a little unclear as to how this would relate to point 2 in my original post - if a ground floor flat fire...
      09-07-2020, 17:53 PM
    • Buying a house with BOTH Freehold and Leasehold titles?
      by trusaiyan
      Hi
      I wonder if you can help with some advice.

My relative is purchasing a property which we were told is 'definitely freehold'. He claims he purchased the freehold a few years ago.

However, we have now discovered this is not fully true and while he did purchase the...
      09-07-2020, 14:51 PM
    • Incorporating Adjacent Land into Curtilage
      by StuStew
      As discussed in a recent thread, I am looking at the possibility of purchasing a very small piece of land (approx. 0.02 acres) adjacent to our property.

My intention is to incorporate this land into our curtilage. It 'fits naturally' into our existing boundary and is not agricultural land....
      08-07-2020, 20:00 PM
    • Reply to Incorporating Adjacent Land into Curtilage
      by StuStew
      Thanks Pilman.

Our only desire is to erect a fence/wall along the edge of the land (flush with the wall that lies along our current boundary). We do not wish to build anything else on the land.

Yes this is correct. So the red edging of our deeds would not be modified?...
      09-07-2020, 13:07 PM
      by pilman
      There will always be a freeholder who was the named Lessor when the leases of each flat were created.
      There will not always be a management company if the freeholder retains control of his own property.

I would have thought that knowing who the owner is can be ascertained from the...
      09-07-2020, 12:55 PM
      by pilman
      The word "curtilage" has a been the subject of a great many legal cases which have defined this as an area of land immediately adjacent to a building.

What you are referring to is a change of use of land to be used as part of a residential garden, because this land will never...
      09-07-2020, 12:38 PM
      by StuStew
      Thank you Lawcruncher.

As mentioned, if the sale was to include the grass strip, we would not be applying to have the strip included in our curtilage; as you mention, this is likely to be problematic. This is what I meant by chopping the land up; the grass strip is excluded from our curtilage...
      09-07-2020, 11:45 AM
    Working...
    X