CIL Liability Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CIL Liability Issue

Myself and my partner obtained a planning approval a year ago to build a new house within part of our garden, and I completed a CIL liability assumption form as part of the application. We have since sold the land and the house is nearly complete and out of nowhere have received a bill from the CIL department for 7.5k. Our solicitor knew the buyer was to pay the CIL and it was even advertised with the CIL amount clearly listed and an enquiry was answered to the buyers solicitor confirming the amount. We were under the impression that our solicitor had resolved this as it wasn’t mentioned once and it turns out all we had to do was complete a short form to remove our liability prior to works starting and it would default to the land owner. All the completion documents state we need take no further action and everything is resolved, so we feel we have been completely misinformed by the solicitor. Does this sound like negligence on the solicitors part if the buyer refuses to now transfer liability? We would hope to recover the cost from the solicitors if this is the case.

Make a complaint to the SRA ( Regulator of UK Solicitors ).

Comment

Thanks, do you think it does sound like a legitimate cause for complaint/negligence then? We used the same solicitor to split the deeds as the sale and at one point there was even going to be some minor ground works two weeks prior to completion which having researched more would’ve instantly trigger CIL to us, yet the solicitor raised no concerns. We feel like they’ve allowed us to be completely played by the buyers and haven’t protected our interests in the slightest

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to punishment for not registering a property?
        by Lawcruncher
        Yes it does. However, you do not want to be delaying getting registered....
        01-06-2020, 08:46 AM
      • punishment for not registering a property?
        by sublimagic
        Hi

complicated question but I cant seem to find a answer online anywhere, I know its a crime not to register a property with the land registry when it changes hands but does anyone know what the penalty or consequences are? the changeover would have happened in 2000 but is still un registered...
        04-03-2014, 20:08 PM
      • Reply to Help with understanding a Land Registry document regarding Adverse Possession
        by wfd_property
        Sorry. I was just meaning it as a general comment....
        31-05-2020, 16:02 PM
      • Help with understanding a Land Registry document regarding Adverse Possession
        by EB1
        My solicitors have forwarded on a land registry document called Application Enquiry. In the Application Progress box it says:

DELAYED
        Requisition issued on (date)
        Warning of Cancellation issued on (date)
        Requisition issued on (date)
        Notice issued on (date)
        14-05-2020, 14:05 PM
      • Reply to punishment for not registering a property?
        by PDML
        -----------------------------------------------

re. paragraph 2. "The second is where the land is registered ................... ".
        Time limit etc .
        Does this apply to both Freehold and Leasehold land ?.

Thank you....
        31-05-2020, 15:25 PM
      • Reply to Field problem
        by Lawcruncher
        As a general proposition that is correct. However, what we have here is a situation where at the start the owner A gave permission to X and the current position is that the owner is B and the occupier Y. The question therefore arises whether the original permission lapsed on the first change (whether...
        31-05-2020, 10:30 AM
      • Field problem
        by U01lsn
        We have a semi rural house which is part of a Hamlet once all owned by my wife’s Nanna and Grandad.
        My wife had used part of this land for 25 years (Her brother had it for 15 years previous to her) to house her animals with a verbal agreement that she could use it until she gave up keeping...
        29-05-2020, 12:23 PM
      • Charges & restrictions against the freehold
        by feebs77
        I am considering purchasing a short lease ground floor flat that forms 1 of 2 flats within a 2 storey edwardian property.

There are a number of issues with the flat and am considering whether it's even worth getting a solicitor on board - as I noticed a number of issues with the lease and...
        25-05-2020, 14:22 PM
      • Reply to Charges & restrictions against the freehold
        by Gordon999
        What is a short lease ? If the lease started at 99 years term from 1987 and fallen 33 years to 66 years remaining term ?

The freehold title was purchased with a mortgage and the lender has registered a charge on the property at Land Registry and the restriction applies to the freeholder....
        31-05-2020, 09:17 AM
      • Reply to Field problem
        by royw
        I don't think there's anything you can do if you can't negotiate. The value lost from their house will be put onto yours if you bought it so the figures might stack up even if it appears you're paying too much for it. Think very carefully before you refuse to remove your livestock, it's very easy for...
        31-05-2020, 08:29 AM
      Working...
      X