CIL Liability Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CIL Liability Issue

Myself and my partner obtained a planning approval a year ago to build a new house within part of our garden, and I completed a CIL liability assumption form as part of the application. We have since sold the land and the house is nearly complete and out of nowhere have received a bill from the CIL department for 7.5k. Our solicitor knew the buyer was to pay the CIL and it was even advertised with the CIL amount clearly listed and an enquiry was answered to the buyers solicitor confirming the amount. We were under the impression that our solicitor had resolved this as it wasn’t mentioned once and it turns out all we had to do was complete a short form to remove our liability prior to works starting and it would default to the land owner. All the completion documents state we need take no further action and everything is resolved, so we feel we have been completely misinformed by the solicitor. Does this sound like negligence on the solicitors part if the buyer refuses to now transfer liability? We would hope to recover the cost from the solicitors if this is the case.

Make a complaint to the SRA ( Regulator of UK Solicitors ).

Comment

Thanks, do you think it does sound like a legitimate cause for complaint/negligence then? We used the same solicitor to split the deeds as the sale and at one point there was even going to be some minor ground works two weeks prior to completion which having researched more would’ve instantly trigger CIL to us, yet the solicitor raised no concerns. We feel like they’ve allowed us to be completely played by the buyers and haven’t protected our interests in the slightest

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
      X