Query if this is a flying freehold?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Query if this is a flying freehold?

I am in the process of purchasing a 200+ yr old converted farmhouse/barns & my conveyancer has apparently questioned my seller/conveyancer re a “flying freehold” on the property
    annoying thing my conveyancer hasn’t mentioned it to me but the seller has as I’m in regular communication with them!

so the situation is the house I am purchasing has a ground, 1st & 2nd floor accommodation all within the boundary of the property but a window in the kitchen (red line shown on plan)
    however a window to the kitchen opens over the neighbours land

basically when conversion of the farmhouse (right on plan) was done approx 12yrs ago the barn was extend at the rear & the developer put a door in so the owner could get the their own back garden - eaves level of extension would be too low to have the door at the rear so it was put in at the side!

house was brought by current owner/seller from developer approx 12yrs ago & this is the 1st sale since original owner post conversion

Based on my other dealings my conveyancer they appear to be very inexperienced & young & im not totally confidient they are going to resolve this swiftly!

i have no issues re the window which has obscured glass in it opening as it does over the neighbours land & just want to get the contracts signed asap

any help or advise or anything I can suggest to my conveyancer would be appreciated thanks

Just to clarify this, the precise problem is that one window opens out into the airspace of the neighbouring property?

Comment

That’s what I believe my coveyancer has flagged an issue about! To me the one window is not a problem & don’t foresee a future one!
      Any advise/comments would really be appreciated

Comment

Assuming that is the problem, it does not come under "flying freehold", but rather under "easements". The meaning of easement is explained here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easements_in_English_law

The first question to ask is whether the right to open a window into another's airspace can be an easement. The second, if the answer to the first is "yes", is whether the property has been granted the easement. I am happy to discuss those two questions if you wish, but if you are not concerned because the worst case scenario (an inability to open the window) is not a problem for you, then there seems to be little point in going into the matter.

Comment

That all makes perfect sense to me & I am not concerned about being able to open the window or not, many thanks for your input!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Solicitors Negligence Question
            Freddie thumb
            I'm read these forums for a little while and just signed up to ask a quick question. I'm not sure if this is 8n 5he right place.

So I bought a property in 2008 and discovered that the Title to my property was defective in 2015. Basically there was a piece of land on the title of my property...
            12-08-2019, 08:40 AM
          • Reply to Solicitors Negligence Question
            Lawcruncher
            Are you saying that the Land Registry plan does not match the apparent boundaries of the land you occupy? If so, is the problem that you occupy land not shown as yours on the plan or that a neighbour occupies land shown as yours on the plan?
            16-08-2019, 09:46 AM
          • Missing Freeholder and Head Lease questions
            deb_hyp
            Hi,
            I'm hoping one of you lovely wise people will be able to offer advice.

I own a leasehold flat and the RTM Company (of which I am a director) would like to purchase the freehold. The flat is one of 5 in a converted building. I've tried everything I can to track down the freeholder...
            08-08-2019, 14:22 PM
          • Reply to Missing Freeholder and Head Lease questions
            Gordon999
            The Land Registry records for the freeholder title for your address , will show name of current title holder. You can visit the Land Registry Online website and buy and download a copy of the freehold title for £3 by credit card..

If the title holder is a company, you can visit Companies...
            12-08-2019, 07:31 AM
          • Reply to Missing Freeholder and Head Lease questions
            deb_hyp
            Thanks Gordon999.
            There have been no demands for ground rent since 1987, despite efforts to track down freeholder/lessee. The land registry has no records of the freeholder either. All we have is the one conveyance that shows the freehold was sold to a company in 1985, but the company has no records...
            11-08-2019, 16:54 PM
          • Address wrong on Land Registry Title. A little rant. and request for empathy.
            Logical.Lean
            We are buying a property built in 1847, with some interesting history, and are somewhat frustrated by the both our own solicitor and the vendor and their solicitor.

Since having our offer accepted, on a house with no chain, either end, it has been 16 weeks, but the last 4 weeks have been...
            06-08-2019, 18:50 PM
          • Reply to Address wrong on Land Registry Title. A little rant. and request for empathy.
            tatemono
            yeah... seems to me that this is best left until after you purchase. You are relying on someone else changing details on a deed that, had you not demanded changes, you would now hold title to and be able to make yourself.
            11-08-2019, 05:11 AM
          • Duplicate contracts
            happypete
            Hello,
            Newbie here, hoping someone can help. we are buying a new house and have signed the contract but our solicitor has sent another copy asking us to sign, When we queried it we were told it was requested by the the builders' solicitor. Does anyone know if this is normal? Thanks, Peter
            09-08-2019, 09:11 AM
          • Reply to Duplicate contracts
            happypete
            Thanks Andrew, My solicitor is saying it is simply a duplicate and we were asked not to date the first one so that it could be dated at exchange. I'm wondering if they have made a mistake and are not admitting it.
            09-08-2019, 15:33 PM
          • Reply to Duplicate contracts
            AndrewDod
            Have any words changed? Even one. If you do sign you should insist on dating per the original form (assuming the form is identical) and annotating your signature to say what happened. If they don't like it... well they can explain why they need it. A contract has a particular date....
            09-08-2019, 11:04 AM
          Working...
          X