Query if this is a flying freehold?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Query if this is a flying freehold?

I am in the process of purchasing a 200+ yr old converted farmhouse/barns & my conveyancer has apparently questioned my seller/conveyancer re a “flying freehold” on the property
    annoying thing my conveyancer hasn’t mentioned it to me but the seller has as I’m in regular communication with them!

so the situation is the house I am purchasing has a ground, 1st & 2nd floor accommodation all within the boundary of the property but a window in the kitchen (red line shown on plan)
    however a window to the kitchen opens over the neighbours land

basically when conversion of the farmhouse (right on plan) was done approx 12yrs ago the barn was extend at the rear & the developer put a door in so the owner could get the their own back garden - eaves level of extension would be too low to have the door at the rear so it was put in at the side!

house was brought by current owner/seller from developer approx 12yrs ago & this is the 1st sale since original owner post conversion

Based on my other dealings my conveyancer they appear to be very inexperienced & young & im not totally confidient they are going to resolve this swiftly!

i have no issues re the window which has obscured glass in it opening as it does over the neighbours land & just want to get the contracts signed asap

any help or advise or anything I can suggest to my conveyancer would be appreciated thanks

Just to clarify this, the precise problem is that one window opens out into the airspace of the neighbouring property?

Comment

That’s what I believe my coveyancer has flagged an issue about! To me the one window is not a problem & don’t foresee a future one!
      Any advise/comments would really be appreciated

Comment

Assuming that is the problem, it does not come under "flying freehold", but rather under "easements". The meaning of easement is explained here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easements_in_English_law

The first question to ask is whether the right to open a window into another's airspace can be an easement. The second, if the answer to the first is "yes", is whether the property has been granted the easement. I am happy to discuss those two questions if you wish, but if you are not concerned because the worst case scenario (an inability to open the window) is not a problem for you, then there seems to be little point in going into the matter.

Comment

That all makes perfect sense to me & I am not concerned about being able to open the window or not, many thanks for your input!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Freehold purchase with flats
            by Johno_c
            Hi All,

This is my first post :-)
            I found this forum whilst I was googling about freehold insurance and thought I would ask you guys for opinions about my purchase.

So I'm in the process of buying a detached house (built 1911) consisting 2 flats with separate entrances...
            23-10-2019, 22:22 PM
          • Reply to Freehold purchase with flats
            by Johno_c
            leaseholder64
            Sorry to bump this,
            Do you think the above is about right? Please feel free to comment.
            Cheers
            15-11-2019, 15:38 PM
            by Johno_c
            Thanks leaseholder64 that is very useful information.

So a couple of hypothetical situations: and I will make LOTS of assumptions that are most probably wrong.

Lets say that I have perfectly good freeholder buildings insurance.

The ground floor flat takes down...
            06-11-2019, 22:19 PM
            by leaseholder64
            The lease is only void if:

1) The freeholder gets a ruling from the FTT that there has been a breach; abd

2) The freeholder then issues a notice of forfeiture; and

3) The leaseholder either doesn't seek relief from the courts or the courts don't grant relief....
            05-11-2019, 11:53 AM
            by Johno_c
            Thanks again, I appreciate your effort and time and take your point about seeking professional advice. I do like to try and do my own research and have my own understanding of things and this is why I'm asking you guys these questions, many minds are better that one :-)

I did get the gist...
            05-11-2019, 10:58 AM
          • Listed Building Consent
            by Cheekster
            I’m in a process of buying a flat inside a grade 2 listed building. The process was going fine until I noticed the floor plan in the lease doesn’t match up with the current floor plan in real life. I can see that there has been structural changes made the flat in the past. Our solicitor has questioned...
            01-11-2019, 14:44 PM
          • Reply to Listed Building Consent
            by JamesHopeful
            The interior is listed even though it isn't mentioned: "While some entries will make no reference to the interior, unless it is expressly excluded, it is covered by the listing and may be significant." https://historicengland.org.uk/listi...-list-entries/

04-11-2019, 21:52 PM
            by Cheekster
            The description online mentions nothing about the interiors inside the building, does it means the inside of the building is not protected and there’s no consent needed to do internal changes in future? We also want to update the floor plan in the lease agreement. Do we do this after the purchase...
            04-11-2019, 14:23 PM
            by Tipper
            You can search the listing records to find out which parts of the building are listed. As said it may only be the outside appearance or could be some particular features both externally and internally. The listing will describe what they have listed.

https://historicengland.org.uk/list...
            04-11-2019, 11:16 AM
            by vmart
            Dear John

In brief, the clause requires the freeholder to take out buildings insurance with a reputable insurer for the full reinstatement value that must meet the requirements of the Council of Mortgage Lenders. It provides latitude for the freeholder to insure against any other risk in...
            04-11-2019, 10:09 AM
          Working...
          X