House has two leases, can I buy the freehold or head lease?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

House has two leases, can I buy the freehold or head lease?!

I am in an area of the country where the council retains the freehold on developments - ostensibly to avoid fragmentation of estates. My developer owned the head lease when I bought the property, and has since sold it to a leasehold management company. The head lease is a peppercorn rent to the council and will now have 996 years remaining. The sublease is £125pa, increasing every 10 years at RPI, and has 222 years remaining.

I am planning to contact lease advice, and some local solicitors too, but I wanted to get a rough idea of what I am dealing with and find out if anyone has any experience of anything similar.

Does the Leasehold Reform Act allow me to purchase the freehold from the council? It isn't and was never a council house.

Does the Leasehold Reform Act allow me to purchase the head lease? Do I have access to the support etc of the tribunal, any legal protections? Or would purchasing the lease from the management company be a business transaction?

Would I be better off waiting for leasehold reforms to come through and then seeing what's what?

For reference my house/development has no shared areas, there is no maintenance or communal gardens or anything. One stretch of the houses has a shated bin alley behind them but I do not have any access to this. When I was purchasing the property I asked the solicitor about purchasing the head lease but he put me off it - I think because he didn't want to deal with it moreso than anything, implied it would be complicated and would delay the process.

I'd like to buy the freehold/lease because I would like to make some changes to the house (put in a new window, change the front garden, change a walk in wardrobe to a room etc) and don't want to have to pay the management company for the privilege.

I was asking specifically if anyone had any experience or knowledge in situations where there is a both a head lease and a sublease on a property - that is, there is a freeholder landlord, a sublandlord, and me the tenant and property owner.

The lease advice website mentions that enfranchisement can include buying the freehold and headlease but there is nothing what happens to the sublease - it doesn't seem right that I could buy the freehold and then simply terminate the sublease. Nor does anywhere suggest I have to purchase leases from both the freeholder and from the sublease landlord. But if I only purchase the freehold/head lease then I am in a situation where I have to continue to pay the management company £125 a year because of the sublease, whilst I also receive a peppercorn rent from the management company as I now own the freehold.

If anything I would much rather purchase the sublease, so that my remaining relationship is with the council landlord and the only remaining lease is a 999 year peppercorn rent one. But it is very unclear if the 1967 leasehold reform act is any help at all in purchasing a sublease - I am not clear if that falls under enfranchisement.

If anyone has any relevant knowledge or experience with enfranchisement when it comes to subleases and headleases of houses I would like to hear from you!

Comment

Send a written complaint to CMA before 12 Jul 2019 ( this friday 5.00pm ) .

CMA are calling for information and your situation would be of interest to them.

Ask CMA to declare ground rent in the sub-lease is an unfair contract term because it is not paid to the freeholder. and increasing every 10 years will make your property unsellable.

One of the national builders Taylor Wimpey has set aside £130 Mil to correct toxic leases.

https://forums.landlordzone.co.uk/fo...ority-campaign

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Schedule 1 of the Act deals with enfranchisement by sub.tenants https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1967/88/schedule/1

Comment

Thank you so much!

Comment

We enfranchised our freehold at which point the head lease and our own lease were merged into our new freehold title.

Comment

Does your property title say your property is a leasehold house ?

Send your enquiry to the legal advisor at LEASE ( www.lease-advice.org )

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Freehold purchase with flats
                  by Johno_c
                  Hi All,

This is my first post :-)
                  I found this forum whilst I was googling about freehold insurance and thought I would ask you guys for opinions about my purchase.

So I'm in the process of buying a detached house (built 1911) consisting 2 flats with separate entrances...
                  23-10-2019, 22:22 PM
                • Reply to Freehold purchase with flats
                  by Johno_c
                  leaseholder64
                  Sorry to bump this,
                  Do you think the above is about right? Please feel free to comment.
                  Cheers
                  15-11-2019, 15:38 PM
                  by Johno_c
                  Thanks leaseholder64 that is very useful information.

So a couple of hypothetical situations: and I will make LOTS of assumptions that are most probably wrong.

Lets say that I have perfectly good freeholder buildings insurance.

The ground floor flat takes down...
                  06-11-2019, 22:19 PM
                  by leaseholder64
                  The lease is only void if:

1) The freeholder gets a ruling from the FTT that there has been a breach; abd

2) The freeholder then issues a notice of forfeiture; and

3) The leaseholder either doesn't seek relief from the courts or the courts don't grant relief....
                  05-11-2019, 11:53 AM
                  by Johno_c
                  Thanks again, I appreciate your effort and time and take your point about seeking professional advice. I do like to try and do my own research and have my own understanding of things and this is why I'm asking you guys these questions, many minds are better that one :-)

I did get the gist...
                  05-11-2019, 10:58 AM
                • Reply to Listed Building Consent
                  by JamesHopeful
                  The interior is listed even though it isn't mentioned: "While some entries will make no reference to the interior, unless it is expressly excluded, it is covered by the listing and may be significant." https://historicengland.org.uk/listi...-list-entries/

04-11-2019, 21:52 PM
                • Listed Building Consent
                  by Cheekster
                  I’m in a process of buying a flat inside a grade 2 listed building. The process was going fine until I noticed the floor plan in the lease doesn’t match up with the current floor plan in real life. I can see that there has been structural changes made the flat in the past. Our solicitor has questioned...
                  01-11-2019, 14:44 PM
                  by Cheekster
                  The description online mentions nothing about the interiors inside the building, does it means the inside of the building is not protected and there’s no consent needed to do internal changes in future? We also want to update the floor plan in the lease agreement. Do we do this after the purchase...
                  04-11-2019, 14:23 PM
                  by Tipper
                  You can search the listing records to find out which parts of the building are listed. As said it may only be the outside appearance or could be some particular features both externally and internally. The listing will describe what they have listed.

https://historicengland.org.uk/list...
                  04-11-2019, 11:16 AM
                  by vmart
                  Dear John

In brief, the clause requires the freeholder to take out buildings insurance with a reputable insurer for the full reinstatement value that must meet the requirements of the Council of Mortgage Lenders. It provides latitude for the freeholder to insure against any other risk in...
                  04-11-2019, 10:09 AM
                Working...
                X