Freehold transfer % question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freehold transfer % question

I own one of 3 apartments in a building. the freehold of the property is owned / shared by the 3 apartment owners. One owner is selling his apartment and I have been asked by his conveyancer to sign the TR1 form to update the list of the freeholders. I noticed the buyer will have 2 names (presumably husband and wife) and and the transferees on TR1 is like this:

myself, 3rd apartment owner, buyer1 and buyer2

does this mean if the transfer is executed successfully, there will then be 4 freeholders so my share of the freehold will drop from 1/3 to 1/4? section 10 (declaration of trust) of TR1 has been left blank. would it be wise / safer to declare a trust and mention the share % explicitly?

any help will be appreciated.

Is the transfer expressed to be made for the purpose of appointing new trustees?

Comment

If you have 3 flats, you only have 3 shares.
      3 flats, 3 votes at meetings.

You want a level playing field. One flat: One share certificate, one vote per flat.

You can put 2 names on one share, but only the names that "own" the lease. But still only one vote per share irrespective of the number of names on the share.

The share for the outgoing owner is returned to you, is cancelled, put in that flats file.
      You write a new share certificate and put the same number on the certificate as the one it replaces ( the cancelled one ).

Think of it this way;
      Flat one has one share, flat 2 has one share, but if flat 3 has mother, farther and son~( as in my past dealings ) insisting they have 3 shares, you will be out voted EVERY time at meetings, service charges etc.
      You then get flat 3 having 3 votes against the other 2. They will rule the roost, and your problems will be insurmountable.

3 flats with one share each flat.

O.K. ?

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
        Is the transfer expressed to be made for the purpose of appointing new trustees?
        hmm, I guess the purpose of the transfer is for the apartment together w the freehold. The TR1 form sent to me has both the apartment and the freehold title number (it does look a bit odd to me). the area that concerns me obviously is the appointing of the new freeholder (new trustee?) in the freehold and remove the seller.

Comment

ram This is a tenants in common arrangement, not a limited company.

Comment

I think I need to see the transfer. Can you post it blanking out personal details?

Comment

ram,

We never had anything set up so presumably this makes us, the 3 apartment owners tenants in common? So is what you describe above kind of the common understanding? I took a look at the title file of the freehold avail in land registry and there is nothing specificially mentioned on how (%) the freehold is shared. it just says the proprietors are...

I understand what you are saying though and it makes sense. I just want to be careful and not sign / agree to anything that I shouldnt since I am no expert on this freehold legal stuff.

Comment

Normally, for tenants in common, all the joint owners must agree to any decision about the freehold. If you don't have a trust deed, this will be the case.

The problem that would interest me is where this happens to a second flat and you exceed the limit of four on registrations.

Comment

u mean in my case, if I sign and executed, then there will be 4 owners on the freehold?

your 2nd question did cross my mind also. or if I pass it on to 2 people in my will or something. Do you think the way the transferee list is written 'buyer name 1 AND name 2' is considered as one single owner/entity? the other freeholder's names are just separated by comma. as in:

me, 3rd free holder, buyer name1 and buyer name2

Comment

It all depends on what the transfer says. Please see post 6.

Comment

just pm'd you. It took me a while as the system complained about the file size.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
                        I think I need to see the transfer. Can you post it blanking out personal details?
                        I made one up based on the TR1 sent to me so anyone can see wo me worry abt forgetting to redact some detail. section 10 and 11 (declaration of trust and additional provisions) were left blank as in the original. any thoughts and advice would be appreciated.

Dropbox is a free service that lets you bring your photos, docs, and videos anywhere and share them easily. Never email yourself a file again!

Comment

I would suggest the third box in section 10 needs to be ticked, and the accompanying trust documents should show the desired proportions of beneficial ownership. If anything other than unanimous decisions are required, it should also provide details of voting rules.

Comment

yeah, I know that will make the most sense. at the same time, I am trying to be mr nice guy and not introduce new items to hold up the neighbours sale. I guess if it has to be done, it has to be done.

Comment

You could also suggest that only one of the buyers becomes party to the freehold.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Solicitors Negligence Question
                                Freddie thumb
                                I'm read these forums for a little while and just signed up to ask a quick question. I'm not sure if this is 8n 5he right place.

So I bought a property in 2008 and discovered that the Title to my property was defective in 2015. Basically there was a piece of land on the title of my property...
                                12-08-2019, 08:40 AM
                              • Reply to Solicitors Negligence Question
                                Lawcruncher
                                Are you saying that the Land Registry plan does not match the apparent boundaries of the land you occupy? If so, is the problem that you occupy land not shown as yours on the plan or that a neighbour occupies land shown as yours on the plan?
                                16-08-2019, 09:46 AM
                              • Missing Freeholder and Head Lease questions
                                deb_hyp
                                Hi,
                                I'm hoping one of you lovely wise people will be able to offer advice.

I own a leasehold flat and the RTM Company (of which I am a director) would like to purchase the freehold. The flat is one of 5 in a converted building. I've tried everything I can to track down the freeholder...
                                08-08-2019, 14:22 PM
                              • Reply to Missing Freeholder and Head Lease questions
                                Gordon999
                                The Land Registry records for the freeholder title for your address , will show name of current title holder. You can visit the Land Registry Online website and buy and download a copy of the freehold title for £3 by credit card..

If the title holder is a company, you can visit Companies...
                                12-08-2019, 07:31 AM
                              • Reply to Missing Freeholder and Head Lease questions
                                deb_hyp
                                Thanks Gordon999.
                                There have been no demands for ground rent since 1987, despite efforts to track down freeholder/lessee. The land registry has no records of the freeholder either. All we have is the one conveyance that shows the freehold was sold to a company in 1985, but the company has no records...
                                11-08-2019, 16:54 PM
                              • Address wrong on Land Registry Title. A little rant. and request for empathy.
                                Logical.Lean
                                We are buying a property built in 1847, with some interesting history, and are somewhat frustrated by the both our own solicitor and the vendor and their solicitor.

Since having our offer accepted, on a house with no chain, either end, it has been 16 weeks, but the last 4 weeks have been...
                                06-08-2019, 18:50 PM
                              • Reply to Address wrong on Land Registry Title. A little rant. and request for empathy.
                                tatemono
                                yeah... seems to me that this is best left until after you purchase. You are relying on someone else changing details on a deed that, had you not demanded changes, you would now hold title to and be able to make yourself.
                                11-08-2019, 05:11 AM
                              • Duplicate contracts
                                happypete
                                Hello,
                                Newbie here, hoping someone can help. we are buying a new house and have signed the contract but our solicitor has sent another copy asking us to sign, When we queried it we were told it was requested by the the builders' solicitor. Does anyone know if this is normal? Thanks, Peter
                                09-08-2019, 09:11 AM
                              • Reply to Duplicate contracts
                                happypete
                                Thanks Andrew, My solicitor is saying it is simply a duplicate and we were asked not to date the first one so that it could be dated at exchange. I'm wondering if they have made a mistake and are not admitting it.
                                09-08-2019, 15:33 PM
                              • Reply to Duplicate contracts
                                AndrewDod
                                Have any words changed? Even one. If you do sign you should insist on dating per the original form (assuming the form is identical) and annotating your signature to say what happened. If they don't like it... well they can explain why they need it. A contract has a particular date....
                                09-08-2019, 11:04 AM
                              Working...
                              X