Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deed of variation

Hi.

I have recently discovered a problem with the leasehold flat I live in. I purchased the flat years ago, 1 flat of a block of 4. I recently went onto Land registry to see my lease and noticed my lease on there is only 99 years, the original deed from 1978. This lease was changed by deed of variation in 1988 to the term of the years being 199 years (not 99). This isn't on land registry though? When I called them they said it may mean the DoV was never registered. I have a copy of the deed of variation.

I then checked the other 3 flats who all show 199 years so it's just mine.
    The problem is the freeholder passed away a few years ago and passed it onto his wife. Her solicitor is who I pay ground rent to. Another issue has arisen she is now in a nursing home as has dementia so I'm truly stuck on what I need to do. I cant get hold of her solicitor as it's in Devon and I'm in Essex.

Will my copy of deed of variation be sufficient if I come to sell it?
    I truly dont know what to do and cant afford a solicitor or anything

Many thanks

Liz

Register it at the Land Registry. They'l tell you what to do.

Comment

Hi thank you for replying. The problem is I only have a photocopy of the DoV and I have gone back to the solicitors who wrote the deed, who have since been taken over by another solicitors, and they have confirmed they dont have any records relating to this and have checked all the previous solicitors files. I'm really stuck.

Comment

Was the deed of variation executed before or after you bought? Whichever it was, were you legally represented?

Comment

Hi. It was executed before I purchased the flat, about 17 years before

Comment

In that case ask the conveyancer who acted why he did not make sure the DoV was registered. You can also ask him if he has it.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Freehold transfer % question
              Kerbec
              I own one of 3 apartments in a building. the freehold of the property is owned / shared by the 3 apartment owners. One owner is selling his apartment and I have been asked by his conveyancer to sign the TR1 form to update the list of the freeholders. I noticed the buyer will have 2 names (presumably...
              10-06-2019, 03:21 AM
            • Reply to Freehold transfer % question
              Lawcruncher
              You're welcome.
              15-06-2019, 14:26 PM
              Kerbec
              great stuff. I had to read it a few times to understand it. thanks v much and really appreciate it....
              15-06-2019, 12:55 PM
              Lawcruncher
              When it comes to ownership of land by more than one person you have to distinguish two different things. One is the legal ownership and the other the equitable or beneficial ownership. In the case of registered land (and ignoring exceptions not relevant to this thread) the legal owners are the persons...
              14-06-2019, 20:51 PM
              Kerbec
              thank you so much for the detailed explanation. My neighbour(seller)'s solicitor has come back and said they would add additional clauses to section 10. While I am waiting for the revised TR1, just want to understand if what you put down in section 11 is absolutely necessary or just better/more complete...
              14-06-2019, 11:42 AM
              Kerbec
              Gordon999,

yeah I agree. when I received the TR1 form from the seller's conveyancer, I thought it looked a bit funny (suspect it was prepared by a junor staff). After watching a vid from the land registry regarding the TR1, I realised it might not have been correctly filled in so started...
              14-06-2019, 11:25 AM
              Lawcruncher
              The transfer is way off.

Each section should be completed as follows:

1. The title number of the freehold property

2. The description of the freehold property

3. -

4. The names of all the current freeholders i.e the registered proprietors...
              13-06-2019, 10:14 AM
              Gordon999
              I believe there should separate LR title numbers for one " leasehold title for sale flat" and one "freehold title for the entire building"

(a) The TR1 form for transfer of leasehold title shows name of " Transferor" ( seller) and "Transferee"(buyer...
              13-06-2019, 00:42 AM
              Kerbec
              thx. I will make this suggestion and see what they say.
              11-06-2019, 10:21 AM
              leaseholder64
              You could also suggest that only one of the buyers becomes party to the freehold.
              11-06-2019, 09:50 AM
            Working...
            X