Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deed of variation

Hi.

I have recently discovered a problem with the leasehold flat I live in. I purchased the flat years ago, 1 flat of a block of 4. I recently went onto Land registry to see my lease and noticed my lease on there is only 99 years, the original deed from 1978. This lease was changed by deed of variation in 1988 to the term of the years being 199 years (not 99). This isn't on land registry though? When I called them they said it may mean the DoV was never registered. I have a copy of the deed of variation.

I then checked the other 3 flats who all show 199 years so it's just mine.
    The problem is the freeholder passed away a few years ago and passed it onto his wife. Her solicitor is who I pay ground rent to. Another issue has arisen she is now in a nursing home as has dementia so I'm truly stuck on what I need to do. I cant get hold of her solicitor as it's in Devon and I'm in Essex.

Will my copy of deed of variation be sufficient if I come to sell it?
    I truly dont know what to do and cant afford a solicitor or anything

Many thanks

Liz

Register it at the Land Registry. They'l tell you what to do.

Comment

Hi thank you for replying. The problem is I only have a photocopy of the DoV and I have gone back to the solicitors who wrote the deed, who have since been taken over by another solicitors, and they have confirmed they dont have any records relating to this and have checked all the previous solicitors files. I'm really stuck.

Comment

Was the deed of variation executed before or after you bought? Whichever it was, were you legally represented?

Comment

Hi. It was executed before I purchased the flat, about 17 years before

Comment

In that case ask the conveyancer who acted why he did not make sure the DoV was registered. You can also ask him if he has it.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X