Absent freehold beneficiaries?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Absent freehold beneficiaries?

Hi guys, new poster here so forgive me if I get my terms mixed up!

I have just made an offer on a ground floor flat in a block of 3. A,B and C. Sold as Share of Freehold, no company. We'll call this flat A.

The owner of flat B died in 2015. The "residue" of her estate including flat B was left to 17 different charities in equal shares. According to the appointed solicitors this was wrapped up in 2017.

As of today the flat is empty, leaking and obviously not paying anything towards the (minimal) upkeep of the block.

Am I correct in thinking it's likely the Freehold is now owned by the owners of flats A + C? with the charities maintaining some sort of beneficial interest?

In practise is this going to be a problem?

The title still lists the deceased so it appears that none of the charities have taken the lead in regards to taking ownership, selling the property and distributing funds. As I understand a trust would need to be set up. Is this correct? Is there any way to find out if this has been done already?

Thanks in advance

Matt

Sounds like the executors have made a mess of this.

I would have thought the share of the freehold and the share of the lease are still held in trust by the executors.

Comment

Yes agree with leaseholder, still held by the executors pending an agreement by all beneficiaries to sell and monies distributed equally. Getting 17 organisations to agree is going to take a while . . .

Comment

Is there any way to find out if this is the case (held in trust by the nephews)?

Assuming this is the case I can't imagine they are particularly incentivised to get this sorted, they had their part of the inheritance 2 years ago.

Comment

If the Land Registry has not updated, it will be held in trust by the executors. The combination of the will and the Land Registry entry should be all that is necessary.

Note, that they should be paying the ground rent and service charges. Once they have probate, they no longer have any excuse for not doing so.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Do I own this land?
            by Tipper
            If it's an ex-local authority house then it may still belongs to the local authority as properties were sold off at different times under the right to buy legislation so access had to be preserved by the authority for the benefit of their remaining tenants.
            26-11-2020, 11:43 AM
          • Do I own this land?
            by mrs. sparkle
            I just purchased an end of terrace property

It has side access, with two doors at the end of the passage (one for the neighbour and one for me) which grants access to each owners respective garden

I assumed that this side access was shared however, looking at the Land Registry...
            25-11-2020, 17:43 PM
            by nukecad
            As you don't both have that clause then it most likely means that the passageway belongs to your neighbour.

In which case your neighbour doesn't need a right of way granting across their own land.

Although, as pilman says, it could belong to neither of you, and no RoW is shown...
            26-11-2020, 02:37 AM
          • Mrs glen
            by Filfiknees
            Hi ,
            we are leaseholders who rent our 1st floor flat . We have a plot of land which is on our deed . Our Neibour down stairs has decided to fence off a 2mx2m of our leased land and is refusing to let us have it back . We have taken it up with our freeholders and they have to them to put back...
            25-11-2020, 19:46 PM
          • Reply to Mrs glen
            by Jon66
            You can remove the fence as they are trespassing on your land. Probably best to put the fence pieces where they can collect it.
            25-11-2020, 23:57 PM
          • Reply to Mrs glen
            by AndrewDod
            If it is clearly your demised land you simply enter, and lock it. I presume you use the word "rent" other than meaning you are AST tenants....
            25-11-2020, 23:21 PM
            by pilman
            That means exactly what it says. You do not own this access path but you can use it whoever it belongs to.

In many cases a builder set out these access paths to allow access to the back gardens of houses when coal deliveries were very important.

After selling of the houses...
            25-11-2020, 18:56 PM
            by AndrewDod
            That seems to say you do not own it. You can pass through it. Probably your neighbour "owns" it....
            25-11-2020, 18:14 PM
          • Is my purchase legally a one or two bed
            by onyx
            I have applied for a mortgage on a two bed Victorian conversion, where one of the bedrooms is a loft conversion. The lender's valuer requested a completion certificate for the loft conversion.

The seller's were only able to provide a certificate of lawfulness that was dated after the loft...
            25-11-2020, 12:58 PM
          • Reply to How Long Should Bank Take to Return Deeds
            by Section20z
            The only point in having "deeds" is if there is some historical significance (listed property maybe) otherwise you will be registered at the Land Registry and paper copy is irrelevant....
            25-11-2020, 09:19 AM
          Working...
          X