Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Collective enfranchisement - disagreement over loft conversion

Hi everyone

I wonder whether anyone can help. I live in a Victorian house which is split into three flats. I own the top one and would like to do a loft conversion (the loft is not demised to me). I have agreed with one other leaseholder that we'll buy the freehold together, I'll pay extra in the process and then do the conversion. The issue is the other (remaining) leaseholder doesn't agree with the terms (they don't want me to convert at all, ever) but they do want to buy the freehold (sharing the cost equally). I don't want us to share the cost equally because I'll never be able to do the conversion if I need the militant leaseholder to agree.

Can anyone think of a potential way forward?

Sally

Will your flat be paying for all the roof repairs in future? I'd have thought that would swing it for the militant guy, if he did not realise that.

Comment

I shall refer to the original poster as OP; the leaseholder in agreement with loft conversion as A; and the leaseholder objecting as B.

There are separate transactions here: the purchase of the freehold via an RMC; and the OP, in capacity as leaseholder, applying to the RMC for consent to acquire and convert the loft.

The RMC’s Articles should include arrangements in relation to managing consents and any payments. (Notwithstanding, the RMC cannot override the lease or statutory legislation in respect of leaseholders’ rights and obligations). The Articles will also cover voting rights and the quorum required. That being the case it is not necessary (or arguably fair) to exclude B from the enfranchisement process. It is also possible to appoint additional directors perhaps assisting a more objective rationale behind decision making. Notably, the OP will probably not be able to vote re loft as there will be a conflict of interest.

OP could proceed to issue s13 notice with A excluding B. However, this assumes A’s agreement and will not assist neighbourly relationships or management of building going forward. There is also nothing to stop B changing their mind about consent post-enfranchisement.

I suggest all participants should pay the same and acquire equal shares of the RMC. The OP should then apply for consent via the RMC. Assuming consent the payment agreed should be made to the RMC ultimately to benefit shareholders which will include the OP.

This might all be academic as enfranchisement might not proceed and/or the price for the loft might be too high; or planning consent might not be obtained.

I appreciate we do not have all of the information so I make a number of assumptions above. It is just food for thought not designed to be comprehensive and is only an opinion. In the situation, it is likely a solicitor will be involved and will provide advice to clarify matters in more definitive terms.

Comment

Originally posted by smitchell View Post
        (the loft is not demised to me)
        Are you sure?

Please read this thread:https://forums.landlordzone.co.uk/fo...-in-the-lease=

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Fence on either side who own's which
          ash72
          Is there a golden rule, if the deeds to not specify, who owns and maintains the right or left hand side of the fencing? It's a mid terrace house, I always under the impression that the right hand side of the property was your's to maintain. I tried to look on an aerial view and there's five houses in...
          15-10-2019, 14:55 PM
        • Boundary dispute
          Pilavas719
          Hello All,

Thanks for setting this forum up.
          I have been going through a boundary dispute since I moved into our current property a little background below:

We moved in on the 12th of July 2016 and the following day my next door neighbor tried to moved the fence 12...
          14-10-2019, 14:06 PM
        • Reply to Boundary dispute
          Pilavas719
          Thanks Lawcrancher, I have visited Jon Maynard's website I even had the pleasure of booking an hour consultation with him, he completely agreed that my neighbour was in the wrong. I have probably read everything online about boundary disputes already. I have come across this forum today and thought...
          14-10-2019, 16:04 PM
          Lawcruncher
          The following statements are usually true:

· If a house owner wants to build an extension and it would be handy if the neighbour's fence was in the wrong place and could be moved towards the neighbour, the fence is in the right place and the boundary follows the fence.

·
          14-10-2019, 15:56 PM
          Pilavas719
          A line drawn at the 50% mark on the title plan with no measurements has an accuracy of a meter, Since the title plan holds no ground to demarcate the boundary line render's it useless in my case. we are disputing 3.6 meter of land between our properties where I have 2.2m and my neighbour has 1.4m. ...
          14-10-2019, 15:54 PM
          AndrewDod
          Did the neighbour object to the trespass of by the fence previous to your ownership? How was this dispute resolved? Whilst boundary plans are not definitive, a line drawn at the 50% mark in relation to actual structures is at the 50% mark.

How do you actually know that the neighbour has...
          14-10-2019, 15:44 PM
          JK0
          You might want to craftily find out when your neighbour moved in. If the fence was in its present position then, I can't see he has a leg to stand on.
          14-10-2019, 15:29 PM
          Pilavas719
          I thought you can't base the position of a boundary on a title plan given the general boundary rule. Surely If this is what the LR practice you can't just move a boundary based on plans alone. If what you're saying is right I can still make an adverse possession claim and claim the land with proof that...
          14-10-2019, 15:15 PM
          Pilavas719
          Thanks JK0, The previous owner has given me a sworn statement to support this. I know the surveyor we will appoint will be RICS and follow certain protocols....
          14-10-2019, 15:05 PM
          JK0
          You need a statutory declaration from the previous owner (at your expense) that the fence has been where it is during his ownership. Then the clock is not reset.
          14-10-2019, 15:00 PM
        Working...
        X