legitimacy of 1st registration claims (Adverse Possession)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

legitimacy of 1st registration claims (Adverse Possession)

How does land registry check legitimacy of 1st registration claims?
    How can they prove someone has been in adverse possession for the required amount of time?

When an application is made for first registration based on adverse possession, Land Registry will arrange for a survey to be carried out to ascertain exactly what steps have been taken to retain exclusive possession by preventing access to all persons including the legal owner with a paper title.

It is always up to the applicant to provide evidence that supports a claim for occupation for more than 12 years, as required by the Limitation Act 1980 for unregistered land, or for the 10 years required by Land Registration Act 2002 for registered land.

It is the applicant that has to prove matters based on the civil law requirement of on the balance of probability.

Comment

It depends very much on what has been adversely occupied. If it is a building the LR likes to see documentary evidence of occupation such as a rates or utilities bill. In the case of open land the LR surveyor will be looking carefully at the land for signs of long term occupation. If the land is a plot overgrown with thistles, surrounded by a new fence and bears a newly painted "Keep Off" sign the surveyor is not going to be impressed. On the other hand if you have extended your garden and the area has established trees and the fence is old you are far more likely to succeed. You are unikely to be successful in getting registered if the land is outside the apparent curtilage of your property, for example a verge the other side of your garden fence or on the opposite side of the road even if you have tended the land for years; that is because the land is such that it cannot usually be occupied in a meaningful way. Context is also important. If you farm 2000 acres and have encroached onto a quarter of an acre you are more likely to be successful than someone fencing the same land who lives 20 miies away.

The LR also likes to see a statutory declaration by someone disinterested in the land.

There are no hard and fast rules as every situation is different. If the land claimed is of any value it is worth instructing a conveyancer experienced in making such claims so that the application is in order. It is especially important that any statutory declaration or statement of truth gets the right words in the right order.

If you have a particular situation in mind let us have the facts and we can comment further.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• retrospective notice of assignment
        eagle
        Hi,
        bit of an oddity, my freeholder has come back (this was brought to light by change of bank account by new owner) that they don't have a notice of assignement... for a transaction back in 2012. Me (my flat) to the new owner.

Everything else is in place and I am on good terms with...
        04-06-2019, 10:48 AM
      • Reply to retrospective notice of assignment
        eagle
        Hi,
        a rather late reply but its taken this long to get over the line.
        I checked others leases obtained from Land Registry and they were all the same, notice only specified in writing, nothing else.
        In between they wrote asking again for the notice to be sent (via solicitor) or would...
        23-08-2019, 13:46 PM
      • Remortgaging to a BTL so much to pay!
        Loftmonster
        My wife and I are in the process of remortgaging our home to a BTL and buying a new home.

I've been in discussions with a mortgage advisor for the last couple of weeks. The purchase mortgage is straight forward but the BTL mortgage is proving a bit more difficult to decide upon. We...
        21-08-2019, 00:59 AM
      • Reply to Remortgaging to a BTL so much to pay!
        loanarranger
        What is the research provided by your broker in focusing on BM Solutions , they are no longer a lender who is the automatic 1st choice

Ask your broker why he didn't quote the following:-
        Santander 1.39% 27 months fixed including Free Legals
        Barclays 1.41% 27 months fixed including...
        21-08-2019, 16:27 PM
        Loftmonster
        Thank JP, yeah i was thinking we should fix for longer but if landlording doesn't work out we will have to pay big early repayment charges if we sell.

The lender our broker has recommended (BM Solutions) pays £300 casback on legal fees. Our solicitor is quoting almost a grand so thats...
        21-08-2019, 08:14 AM
        jpkeates
        Most BTL mortgage lenders will use their own solicitor for conveyancing at no (direct) cost to the lender).
        You usually can add the product fee to the amount borrowed - on the basis that you hope the property value increases by at least that.

While I appreciate that landlording may...
        21-08-2019, 07:48 AM
      • Address wrong on Land Registry Title. A little rant. and request for empathy.
        Logical.Lean
        We are buying a property built in 1847, with some interesting history, and are somewhat frustrated by the both our own solicitor and the vendor and their solicitor.

Since having our offer accepted, on a house with no chain, either end, it has been 16 weeks, but the last 4 weeks have been...
        06-08-2019, 18:50 PM
      • Reply to Address wrong on Land Registry Title. A little rant. and request for empathy.
        Logical.Lean
        So eventually I phoned the Estate agent and explain that I'm now being told by our solicitor that the vendors solicitor had put in this application, but I'd like proof, if that were possible.
        30 mins later she sent an email, which had an email.from.their solicitor saying it had been done on the...
        20-08-2019, 09:50 AM
      • Solicitors Negligence Question
        Freddie thumb
        I'm read these forums for a little while and just signed up to ask a quick question. I'm not sure if this is 8n 5he right place.

So I bought a property in 2008 and discovered that the Title to my property was defective in 2015. Basically there was a piece of land on the title of my property...
        12-08-2019, 08:40 AM
      • Reply to Solicitors Negligence Question
        Lawcruncher
        Are you saying that the Land Registry plan does not match the apparent boundaries of the land you occupy? If so, is the problem that you occupy land not shown as yours on the plan or that a neighbour occupies land shown as yours on the plan?
        16-08-2019, 09:46 AM
      Working...
      X