legitimacy of 1st registration claims (Adverse Possession)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

legitimacy of 1st registration claims (Adverse Possession)

How does land registry check legitimacy of 1st registration claims?
    How can they prove someone has been in adverse possession for the required amount of time?

When an application is made for first registration based on adverse possession, Land Registry will arrange for a survey to be carried out to ascertain exactly what steps have been taken to retain exclusive possession by preventing access to all persons including the legal owner with a paper title.

It is always up to the applicant to provide evidence that supports a claim for occupation for more than 12 years, as required by the Limitation Act 1980 for unregistered land, or for the 10 years required by Land Registration Act 2002 for registered land.

It is the applicant that has to prove matters based on the civil law requirement of on the balance of probability.

Comment

It depends very much on what has been adversely occupied. If it is a building the LR likes to see documentary evidence of occupation such as a rates or utilities bill. In the case of open land the LR surveyor will be looking carefully at the land for signs of long term occupation. If the land is a plot overgrown with thistles, surrounded by a new fence and bears a newly painted "Keep Off" sign the surveyor is not going to be impressed. On the other hand if you have extended your garden and the area has established trees and the fence is old you are far more likely to succeed. You are unikely to be successful in getting registered if the land is outside the apparent curtilage of your property, for example a verge the other side of your garden fence or on the opposite side of the road even if you have tended the land for years; that is because the land is such that it cannot usually be occupied in a meaningful way. Context is also important. If you farm 2000 acres and have encroached onto a quarter of an acre you are more likely to be successful than someone fencing the same land who lives 20 miies away.

The LR also likes to see a statutory declaration by someone disinterested in the land.

There are no hard and fast rules as every situation is different. If the land claimed is of any value it is worth instructing a conveyancer experienced in making such claims so that the application is in order. It is especially important that any statutory declaration or statement of truth gets the right words in the right order.

If you have a particular situation in mind let us have the facts and we can comment further.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Deed of variation
        Lizey
        Hi.

I have recently discovered a problem with the leasehold flat I live in. I purchased the flat years ago, 1 flat of a block of 4. I recently went onto Land registry to see my lease and noticed my lease on there is only 99 years, the original deed from 1978. This lease was changed by deed...
        23-05-2019, 17:07 PM
      • Reply to Deed of variation
        Lawcruncher
        In that case ask the conveyancer who acted why he did not make sure the DoV was registered. You can also ask him if he has it.
        25-05-2019, 08:13 AM
        Lizey
        Hi. It was executed before I purchased the flat, about 17 years before
        25-05-2019, 07:45 AM
        Lawcruncher
        Was the deed of variation executed before or after you bought? Whichever it was, were you legally represented?
        24-05-2019, 16:40 PM
        Lizey
        Hi thank you for replying. The problem is I only have a photocopy of the DoV and I have gone back to the solicitors who wrote the deed, who have since been taken over by another solicitors, and they have confirmed they dont have any records relating to this and have checked all the previous solicitors...
        24-05-2019, 16:03 PM
        Tipper
        Register it at the Land Registry. They'l tell you what to do.
        23-05-2019, 17:36 PM
      • Absent freehold beneficiaries?
        Mat1
        Hi guys, new poster here so forgive me if I get my terms mixed up!

I have just made an offer on a ground floor flat in a block of 3. A,B and C. Sold as Share of Freehold, no company. We'll call this flat A.

The owner of flat B died in 2015. The "residue"...
        16-05-2019, 19:45 PM
      • Reply to Absent freehold beneficiaries?
        leaseholder64
        If the Land Registry has not updated, it will be held in trust by the executors. The combination of the will and the Land Registry entry should be all that is necessary.

Note, that they should be paying the ground rent and service charges. Once they have probate, they no longer have any...
        17-05-2019, 09:36 AM
      • Reply to Absent freehold beneficiaries?
        Mat1
        Is there any way to find out if this is the case (held in trust by the nephews)?

Assuming this is the case I can't imagine they are particularly incentivised to get this sorted, they had their part of the inheritance 2 years ago....
        17-05-2019, 08:33 AM
      • Is There a Conflict Of Interest Here?
        mrs. sparkle
        Recently purchased an auction property and the lender I am obtaining bridging finance from requires a solicitor to represent them from their panel.

What I wanted to know is whether it is okay for the lenders solicitor to also represent me the purchaser?

Someone mentioned to...
        16-05-2019, 12:47 PM
      Working...
      X